Author Topic: black powder opener tomorrow who's ready ?  (Read 10920 times)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: black powder opener tomorrow who's ready ?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 03, 2008, 08:11 PM »
I watched an 8pt yesterday morning at 7:30am make a scrap on the edge of a hay field.........trust me, the does are hot right now. I saw two walking with their tails out straight!

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 04, 2008, 06:53 AM »
I know for a fact the bucks are chasing right now.  The earliest I'll be out will be Thursday, but I can hunt through to Sunday.  Right now is the time to take to the woods... I'm very excited for Thursday.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #32 on: Nov 05, 2008, 04:36 PM »
I watched an 8pt yesterday morning at 7:30am make a scrap on the edge of a hay field.........trust me, the does are hot right now. I saw two walking with their tails out straight!
a buck making a scrape dosn't make the does hot !! but like i said earlier your further north than where i hunt ...this warm front might put the brakes on it all i've been seeing scrapes for 3 weeks mostly made by immature deer but they are getting active for sure...i've seen 5 does in the last three days and none were being courted dosn't mean its not happening though

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 05, 2008, 04:52 PM »
One "area" may be hot because of the buck to doe ratio in that area, but from past experience and what I saw yesterday 6pt wandering aimlessly through the woods nose to the ground on a mission....I'd say its on right now.
Dang!  60 yards right by me!  Wish he was 30 yards closer.  There's always tomorrow!  Good luck.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 05, 2008, 04:58 PM »
One "area" may be hot because of the buck to doe ratio in that area, but from past experience and what I saw yesterday 6pt wandering aimlessly through the woods nose to the ground on a mission....I'd say its on right now.
Dang!  60 yards right by me!  Wish he was 30 yards closer.  There's always tomorrow!  Good luck.
its on i agree but not peak by all means

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2008, 04:41 PM »
I shot a spike horn yesterday weighed 116lbs, Not sure what he was doing but he was definitely on a mission ran straight at me full speed stop 15 yards in front of me broadside. I sort of dropped him in his tracks as he ran 15 yards away, then he turned around ran back to where he was when I shot him and fell over.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 08, 2008, 07:08 PM »
success at last ..705 am today was the magic hour for me 130 ish spiker..wish i had an accurate weight but the store i checked him in at just started checking in deer in Allenstown and did'nt have their scale set up yet .actually i was their first check in ......back to the string -n-stick ;) ;)

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 08, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Congrats on the deer guys ;)

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 08, 2008, 07:50 PM »
Good job guys no M tag ???

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 09, 2008, 10:32 AM »
Good job guys no M tag ???
        not this year still got my special and regular archery

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 09, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Spent 6 of the last 9 days in the woods in or near M hunting with Jiffyman.  No tags filled yet, but I'm taking 3 days off from hunting.  Tim said it would be a good idea to chill out and regroup.  I agree.  I have next Thursday - Sunday off and will hunt all 4 days and then some until my tags are filled.  I just know when I finally get one, I'll be very happy as I feel I am earning it right now.   ;)  Congrats to those of you who have filled your tags.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Nov 09, 2008, 08:04 PM »
finless....still think its not peak?  Heck...its Nov 9th??  I just laughed at your last post.  Glad you got one though.....good for you!!
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 10, 2008, 07:37 AM »
finless....still think its not peak?  Heck...its Nov 9th??  I just laughed at your last post.  Glad you got one though.....good for you!!

just saw a 6pt running a doe HARD! He chased her for 10 minutes or so in the crap on the side of a hill. It was fun to watch!

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Nov 10, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Keep after him Doctor....you'll get him.  He'll make a mistake one of these days.  Let me know if you bag him.  I just took my daughter out with me tonight in NY.   First time for her in a treestand.  She saw one when I put her in a stand and was setting mine up.  She had fun and so did Dad.  We took a drive around after dark and I was showing her the deer in the field on the property.  She was in awe.  Look at them Dad!!! ....she kept saying.  It was uneventful in the stand, but she was kind of ....well .....being a kid and we didn't have anything come in, but its not about that at 10.  We just had fun together.

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 10, 2008, 10:09 PM »
It's not like that here in NH on the seacoast... trust me.  Not with 60* weather during the day.  Hopefully we'll see that behavior over the course of this week and we'll capitalize on it.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 11, 2008, 03:54 AM »
According to the weatherman, a cold front is supposed too drop out of Canada over the next week or so and will be here for a while.with highs in the twenty's that means any snow we get will stay and make hunting a little easier.
                                                                             james

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #46 on: Nov 11, 2008, 07:10 AM »
they are very much rutting and I am at the NH/MA border, scrapes everywhere and I heard two bucks fighting a couple days ago in my blueberry farm. But I dont think you should only focus on the "rut" try to get out whenever you can. Good luck. ;)

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 11, 2008, 09:27 AM »
                                    like you i also have been hunting for going on 30 years ... i don't know ANYTHING I GUESS MAYBE YOU'VE BEEN HUNTING IN SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE SEEING AS HOW YOUR IN WESTERN MASS AND HUNTING NEW YORK ????!!!!I KNOW HOW TO READ THE SIGN AND I'M TELLING YOU EVERYTHING I'M SEEING IN MY AREA IS IMMATURE IT WILL BE PEAK WHEN I SEE THE MATURE ANIMALS RUNNING THE IMMATURE BUCKS OFF !!!!!!! ITS ME WHO LAUGHS AT YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND DD A 6 POINTER IS MORE THAN LIKELY A 2.5 YEAR OLD DEER NOT YET MATURE I'M NOT SAYING THE HERD UP WERE YOU ARE ISN'T IN FULL SWING EITHER ......IF THAT 6 POINT IS BREEDING DOES IT MEANS THAT MATURE BUCKS HAVN'T LOCATED THAT PARTICULAR GROUP OF DOES OR THERE AREN'T ENOUGH DOES IN THAT AREA IN ESTROUS IF I'M WRONG THEN TELL ME HOW SO DON'T SAY YOUR LAUGHING AT ME

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 11, 2008, 09:35 AM »
Hey Finless....

I don't belive I said I was laughing at you. I can tell you that by Nov 10th, last season in the Monadnock Region, they were in full swing!  You hit the nail on the head with the Buck/Doe ratio. That in itself with spell out the peak and which bucks get to mate.  I would say, with all the buck movement/behavior I have been seeing out here, that if it has not peaked by now, I don't know anything.

Southern NH has always been differenent than any other part of the state I have ever hunted.  I would be willing to bet though, that if there are a few more really cold nights/mornings, you should see the sign of mature bucks increase!

Good luck bud!

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Nov 11, 2008, 09:40 AM »
I agree with finless in that I don't think we're really in the swing of things yet.  Deer don't care if it's November 9th or whatever.  We had some warm weather recently and I think that set them back some.  They're making some scrapes and some rubs, but not tons of sign.  I may be relatively new to hunting but I know what I see in the woods.

I'm not just focusing on the rut.  I've hunted 6 days of the muzzleloader season already, I am putting my time in.  We just haven't seen a whole lot.  We found some of the freshest sign on Sunday morning but opted not to hunt that piece of land Sunday night because there were too many of us, we would have just burned the spot.

Southern NH has always been differenent than any other part of the state I have ever hunted.  I would be willing to bet though, that if there are a few more really cold nights/mornings, you should see the sign of mature bucks increase!

I agree.  That's what I'm really hoping for. 

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 11, 2008, 11:36 AM »
Hey Finless....

I don't belive I said I was laughing at you. I can tell you that by Nov 10th, last season in the Monadnock Region, they were in full swing!  You hit the nail on the head with the Buck/Doe ratio. That in itself with spell out the peak and which bucks get to mate.  I would say, with all the buck movement/behavior I have been seeing out here, that if it has not peaked by now, I don't know anything.

Good luck bud!
                             I APPOLOGIZE I WASN'T TRYING TO IMPLY THAT YOU WERE LAUGHING AT ME I RAELIZED THAT I SHOULD HAVE DIRECTED THAT COMMENT A LITTLE MORE ACCURATELY AFTER I POSTED.AND I THINK WE ARE SAYING THE SAME THING IN DIFFERENT WAYS .. I DON'T THINK HOW EVER THAT BUCK DOE RATIO IS THE ONLY FACTOR TRIGGERING ESTROUS BUT WE WILL SAVE THAT DISPUTE FOR A RAINY DAY !!!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 11, 2008, 11:40 AM »
                             I APPOLOGIZE I WASN'T TRYING TO IMPLY THAT YOU WERE LAUGHING AT ME I RAELIZED THAT I SHOULD HAVE DIRECTED THAT COMMENT A LITTLE MORE ACCURATELY AFTER I POSTED.AND I THINK WE ARE SAYING THE SAME THING IN DIFFERENT WAYS .. I DON'T THINK HOW EVER THAT BUCK DOE RATIO IS THE ONLY FACTOR TRIGGERING ESTROUS BUT WE WILL SAVE THAT DISPUTE FOR A RAINY DAY !!!

...or over a frozen one at the Outing where we can have a debate! LOL! 

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Nov 11, 2008, 11:53 AM »
...or over a frozen one at the Outing where we can have a debate! LOL! 
                               well if the finances keep going the way they are and work dosn't pick up i may have to decline ... but i'm hoping otherwise !!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #53 on: Nov 13, 2008, 01:14 PM »
I struck out on that Maine trip last week. I just got this picture sent to me from my buddy who shot this one the day after I left.....go figure.

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:25 PM »
Man, that's too bad Fishback.  Good for your buddy.  Don't worry, you're not the only one having a tough time.

I'm still hunting with the muzzleloader and I was out tonight.  Came home, cleaned it out and reloaded it, washed my clothes and packed the truck all ready to go early tomorrow.  I actually was north of Concord today and I saw a lot of scrapes.  No new rubs, but 5 or 6 good scraps all under overhanging branches.  Some probably done yesterday, some probably this morning, one of them was probably done last weekend.  I'm going back tomorrow to sit on stand hoping a dumb one will walk to my scent wicks.   ;D 

Anyone else going out this weekend besides Jiffyman and I?

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #55 on: Nov 14, 2008, 08:00 AM »
I'll be going out both Saturday and Sunday. I'm heading to Candia. There are 3 or 4 stands that we have hung. I'm hoping with that past cold snap, things will start to get moving. It's too bad it warmed up again though. This rain isn't helping the cause either. 

After I go out hunting I'm heading down to Nashua to make my first batch of icefishing brew. I got a gift cert. to Incredibrew down in Nashua. I'm gonna make a nice icefishing Ale for this winter. 

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Nov 14, 2008, 11:10 AM »
We have some sweet temps coming Tues-Weds. That oughta get em moving.

Good luck this weekend!

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Nov 14, 2008, 01:20 PM »
Tall 6 pointer harassing a doe today on my way to go hunting.  It was about 7:30a and he was in a field sanding near the doe.  Doe decided she didn't want to deal with him and started running all around the field.  He chased her until she finally bedded down on the edge of the field.  Doe didn't look completely interested just yet.  C'mon cold snap.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Nov 14, 2008, 04:49 PM »
Its official ..my brother called me yesterday  and told me he caught a really nice buck sneaking into a thicket near his stand they're on the move !!! the buck had just laid a nice scrape down in his area where some immiture bucks were working weeks ago !! thats the activity i'm trying to tell you all about when i say its on !!!!!!!!!

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Nov 16, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Well.....your brother in law saw one...so it must be on now and not 5 days ago like many of us said.   That nicer buck wasn't out checking scrapes 5 days ago....he just started all of a sudden....and why your brother was watching too.  What luck...so ..Its official.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.