Author Topic: @ The Cabin 2020/2021 Edition  (Read 185735 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: @ The Cabin 2018/2019 Edition
« Reply #780 on: Mar 25, 2019, 03:31 PM »
Thank you for the reply,got two workouts in loading the snowmobile sled and then getting the insulation bundles onto the porch. If I remember you only plan to use a pellet burning wood stove as your heating think it will be a toasty cabin with the insulation especially under the floor and in ceiling.
Steve

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #781 on: Mar 25, 2019, 10:00 PM »
Heard the festival had to be moved off the lake, hopefully that's due to slippery ice, not thin ice! 

Our season it getting hacked tragically short by the weather - I'll be living vicariously through you come mid-April!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #782 on: Mar 29, 2019, 11:23 PM »
Heard the festival had to be moved off the lake, hopefully that's due to slippery ice, not thin ice! 

Our season it getting hacked tragically short by the weather - I'll be living vicariously through you come mid-April!!

Haven't been down to the bay but I would say it's probably a glare ice situation and or snow ruts/ ice combo.
The ice road that runs across the bay is still open so it's not ice thickness issues. It's been cooler this week, with this weekend being warmer around the freezing point. Then colder again next week.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #783 on: Mar 30, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Last batch of insulation is out at the cabin now. :)

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #784 on: Mar 31, 2019, 05:37 AM »
That must have been a serious workout Dave....excellent job!!   :clap:   
How much ice is still on the lake and is there a set date for the ice road to close?  Best of luck with the cabin this season, and as always, Thanks for the great pictures and letting us tag along!    :bow:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #785 on: Mar 31, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Ice is 4-5 feet thick and the road closes when the shorelines go.
There is still plenty of ice we just can't get to it.
Unless someone has one of these. :whistling:

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #786 on: Apr 01, 2019, 08:05 PM »
thanks for the update and pics, lots of insulation hauled, bet you are glad you got it all out there.  when do you think you are going to test out your hover ride....look forward to continued posts, i come back to this site all year long - much appreciated.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #787 on: Apr 01, 2019, 10:41 PM »
Thank you for the update ,have fun with the hovercraft.
Steve

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #788 on: Apr 02, 2019, 06:39 PM »
thanks for the update and pics, lots of insulation hauled, bet you are glad you got it all out there.  when do you think you are going to test out your hover ride....look forward to continued posts, i come back to this site all year long - much appreciated.

Still need to get the motor put back in it.
Got that to do as well as some work on the boat after last summers issues.
Boat first and then hovercraft.  ;)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #789 on: Apr 13, 2019, 03:29 PM »
Still got lots of ice up at the cabin.
Snow is going fast though.

Had to take the back route in as the portage at the start of the normal route is a rutted mud bog now.
The back trail hasn't been plowed since the last windstorm so it was a bit sketchy but the ole Honda had no issues with the deep snow and ruts. :)

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #790 on: Apr 13, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Drifter - when do you possibly expect open water ?
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: @ The Cabin 2017/2018 Edition
« Reply #791 on: Apr 13, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Only partial plumbing this year.
Need to run all the venting and my 2" supply lines for my roof sprinklers up the exterior walls.
So I can get the insulation done.
The rest of the plumbing will go through the floor.

How do you keep the water in the supply pipes from freezing and breaking the pipes and how do they activate?  I've heard of roof sprinklers before but never seen them and don't know how they work. 

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #792 on: Apr 13, 2019, 07:57 PM »
How do you keep the water in the supply pipes from freezing and breaking the pipes and how do they activate?  I've heard of roof sprinklers before but never seen them and don't know how they work.

The lines from the lake are used to fill a water tank in the basement.
The tanks is going to be in the 1,200-1,500 gallon range to minimize the amount of refilling I'll have to do.
The supply lines from the lake will be set so they will self drain when disconnected from the pump.
Pump will stay warm in the basement when not in use in the winter. In summer it will be in a pump house attached to the dock.
The sprinkler system will be self draining as well. In order to use it you will need to close one valve that goes to the water tank and open one that goes to the fire suppression system. That pipe goes to a tee and two more valves. One sends water to a fire hose stand pipe @ the back of the cabin and the other sends the flow to the sprinklers mounted on the roof.
The sprinklers will be 1 1/4" Rainbird agricultural sprinklers.
During the winter the sprinkler system will be drained so no issue with freezing.
They activate manually. Turn valves to send water to the sprinklers and start the pump down at the dock.
They will be able to reach about 100' out from the cabin to keep all the vegetation wet during a fire event.
I'll probably never need them but it's better than having the place burn down because I didn't have them.  ;)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #793 on: Apr 13, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Drifter - when do you possibly expect open water ?

This was the May long weekend a few years ago.
Couldn't get to the main lake yet.

See attached map.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #794 on: Apr 13, 2019, 08:53 PM »
Thank you for the latest photos big difference between your location in NWT of Canada and me in southeastern NYS/USA. Warmest day of spring so far afternoon high of 80 F some flowering trees blooming.
Steve

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #795 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:19 PM »
Almost 50 here today Steve. :)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #796 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:27 PM »
If you continue to see daytime highs of 50 F or higher remaining snow should melt quickly.

Steve

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #797 on: Apr 13, 2019, 09:34 PM »
Supposed to drop tomorrow for a few days then warm up again for a few and the cool down again.  ::)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #798 on: Apr 14, 2019, 08:36 AM »
The lines from the lake are used to fill a water tank in the basement.
The tanks is going to be in the 1,200-1,500 gallon range to minimize the amount of refilling I'll have to do.
The supply lines from the lake will be set so they will self drain when disconnected from the pump.
Pump will stay warm in the basement when not in use in the winter. In summer it will be in a pump house attached to the dock.
The sprinkler system will be self draining as well. In order to use it you will need to close one valve that goes to the water tank and open one that goes to the fire suppression system. That pipe goes to a tee and two more valves. One sends water to a fire hose stand pipe @ the back of the cabin and the other sends the flow to the sprinklers mounted on the roof.
The sprinklers will be 1 1/4" Rainbird agricultural sprinklers.
During the winter the sprinkler system will be drained so no issue with freezing.
They activate manually. Turn valves to send water to the sprinklers and start the pump down at the dock.
They will be able to reach about 100' out from the cabin to keep all the vegetation wet during a fire event.
I'll probably never need them but it's better than having the place burn down because I didn't have them.  ;)

Thank you for the explanation.  I thought they ran automatically like sprinklers in a building which was the source of my curiosity, it makes sense to me now.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #799 on: Apr 14, 2019, 07:38 PM »
3" of heavy wet snow today.   ::)

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #800 on: Apr 14, 2019, 08:36 PM »
7+ inches of that heavy wet stuff here in central Michigan and still coming down. April showers bring May flowers. What do April snow storms bring? 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #801 on: Apr 15, 2019, 08:13 AM »
What do April snow storms bring?

Poor mans fertilizer!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #802 on: Apr 22, 2019, 08:02 PM »
Been working on getting the boat ready lately.
After last summers issues I need to finish cleaning out the main fuel tank, fix the issues I have with the steering (got me a new hydraulic system on the way). The steering got really stiff at the end of the year which I gather is due to water in the mechanical steering cable freezing in the cold weather. I needed to replace the brackets in the motor bay as the originals finally gave up after almost 30 years of use. The tabs that connect to the transom failed due to metal fatigue and because the wood in the transom was soft it started to pull away and left a gap between the transom and motor well base.

So I started disassembly this weekend. Motor is off and hanging on my motor hoist, jack plate is off and a ton of fasteners have been removed. Gonna be a few weeks before it's all fixed up.  ;)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #803 on: Jun 11, 2019, 08:47 PM »
Took the afternoon off work and went to the cabin.
Got the dock in.
Needs work, the ice did some damage. :(

Forgot to mention. Water temps were between 37F and 42F.

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: @ The Cabin 2019/2020 Edition
« Reply #804 on: Jun 12, 2019, 05:25 AM »
That's to bad but with the amount of ice on that lake I'm surprised that's all that happened....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #805 on: Jun 12, 2019, 06:39 AM »
So were the two floating dock sections tied off somewhere else for the winter, or pulled on shore?  Are the chains from the last floating section anchored to the crib?  It always seems to be a crap shoot how the docks will winter over.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #806 on: Jun 12, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Thanks Dave for the update.  Nice to see the boat in use!  Sorry about the dock damage.  Any plans to revamp the setup for ice time?
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #807 on: Jun 13, 2019, 10:36 AM »
Drifter thank you for the cabin update thought you might still be waiting on the ice to melt. Sorry about the ice damage to your dock. How did your boat preform after all the recent work done to it.
Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #808 on: Jun 13, 2019, 11:20 AM »

Dave, Ice is a powerful thing, maybe some Styrofoam around the basket wold help of inner tubes, they put them in pools
             around here to take up the expanding water/ice.

IW

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #809 on: Jun 13, 2019, 05:03 PM »
So were the two floating dock sections tied off somewhere else for the winter, or pulled on shore?  Are the chains from the last floating section anchored to the crib?  It always seems to be a crap shoot how the docks will winter over.

Floating sections are pulled up in the fall.
Ramp goes up on the section attached to the shore.

And the main dock gets slid up the rock on the left.

Thanks Dave for the update.  Nice to see the boat in use!  Sorry about the dock damage.  Any plans to revamp the setup for ice time?

Going to shorten the shore attached section and run my poles down to brackets that are already bolted down  about a foot or two out in the water.

Will cross brace with chains attached to my shore mounted rings that also attach to the shore side of the main dock section.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.