Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: chum block?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline 52#FLATHEAD

• IceShanty Rookie
chum block?
« on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:17 PM »
Has anyone here bought one of those artificial chum blocks that comes in a bucket? I was thinking of getting one, dropping it down a hole, fishing it a few days later to keep the baitfish, gills & crappies near by in a farm pond. Do they even work or a waste of $ ? I can see where it would take the fun out of finding the fish but I love to catch them & I let almost all of them go anyways. I guess it would be like baiting deer? I think I'm talking myself out of buying a chum block...
Burly fish have whiskers....mean fish have teeth :)

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: chum block?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:03 PM »
All it seems to attract is kitty's, maybe that's what your after.  A can of tuna or sardines works better, just knock a couple holes in the top attach some line and drop it down.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:31 AM »
Isn't chumming illegal in Iowa? Make sure if you're doing this its at your pond and not a public lake, not worth getting busted!

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Artificial scents are allowed to be sprayed onto lures.  Its legal to use dead bait.  And no where on the Iowa DNR website deems it illegal, that I can find.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2010, 09:12 AM »
chumming is not illegal in iowa but water lights are dont make sense to me.  ive used the chum bucket before on the des moines river and it works well for cats but never tried it though the ice.  have used panty hose trick with dead minnows in them.  works well to attrack crappies and bass
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.