Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Spikes vs Waxies  (Read 4146 times)

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
Spikes vs Waxies
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:56 AM »
Seeing some guys are using spikes rather then waxies.  Wondering what the difference is and if anyone knows where I might be able to buy some in the Des Moines Area.  I live in Knoxville and the bait shop I goto only carries waxies.

thanks

Offline tyson457

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spikes vs Waxies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:57 AM »
theisens carries spikes if u have near by

Offline 63110

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:49 AM »
There is one in pella, thanks a lot!

Offline IceMANCooketh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:53 AM »
I try to carry both when fishing, sometimes the fish want spikes sometimes waxies.

Usually start with waxies and if the are biting light on them, I'll switch to spikes.  They are a little more durable than waxies and offer a smaller profile so the fish can more easily inhale them.

Difference between the two are just two different larvae.

Offline TritleFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:06 AM »
If you are unable to find any locally you can order them from the following website: http://www.wholesalebait.com/catalog.php?cat_id=1

I placed an order for 250 Waxies and 1,000 spikes and had them at my doorstep in 2 days.  Alive and well.  I must add, the waxies are huge.

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:46 AM »
I know them as ural larvae.  I have the best luck on the red ones if you can get them. I like to have both on me when fishing for sunfish and crappies.  I have found that the when the bite is good it doesnt matter what you use, but when the fish have "lock jaw," the smaller ural larvae work better.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:54 AM »
Seeing some guys are using spikes rather then waxies.  Wondering what the difference is and if anyone knows where I might be able to buy some in the Des Moines Area.  I live in Knoxville and the bait shop I goto only carries waxies.

thanks

Go to Vadoos or Ja Da bait online and order yourself some spikes/maggots. I usually order a package of spikes & waxworms. The spikes keep all year(winter) in my fridge in the basement & the Waxworms last about 1/2 way through the winter. I usually order at the end of Nov.

Offline BarbGoFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Barb's Computer's in Cedar Rapids has 3 bag left: 2 Red Spikes & 1 Ivory  $7.50 per 1000
2 Tubs of Waxies left at this time $7.00 a tub....

I got tired of looking for bait and everyone was out, plus lost Marion Bait....

Offline mrbill5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:01 PM »

Johnston Bait Shop sells them.  They're cheaper than waxies (come in lots of 100ea)  Also in real cold weather when fish bite is sometimes light, they seem to work better - or you can also try cutting a wax worm in bits for the same results.  On the other hand, I had times when all the fish wanted is one type of bait and not the other.  But that is true with any bait.  I use them fishing for trout, bluegill & crappies.

Offline N3480H

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:45 PM »
Waxies are ok, but they tend to be a 1 bite bait - then they are gone.  I use spikes because I can get 1,000 of the little buggers for $7.50, I can usually ice 2-3 gills or crappies before I have to put more on, and they stay alive all winter in the fridge.  Sometimes one or two on a jig is enough, sometimes they want 3-4.

Oh, and I almost forgot;  if you have a lot of spikes left over at the end of the season, you can always cook up a special rice pilaf for your friends. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.