Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Where do I find...  (Read 1671 times)

Offline 52#FLATHEAD

• IceShanty Rookie
Where do I find...
« on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:25 PM »
Where do I find bluegills that DON'T have the little yellow grubs in the meat? I've been hammering the gills the last 4 times out & catching many that I would like to eat but they all have those yellow grubs in them.  ???
Burly fish have whiskers....mean fish have teeth :)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Where do I find...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:27 PM »
Pick the grubs out, the meat is fine.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline crappieangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:37 PM »
I second BBK.  I've eaten fish with that many times and never gotten sick.  Same with the little black specks...they cook out.

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2009, 11:11 PM »
i dont eat them, i would but my 3yr old and 6yr old like to eat fish and dont want to risk it with them...

as far as finding them without, goodluck. they are one of my main targets and they have had them everywhere i have been...some worse than others. some have little black spots that look like pepper so i pretend it is pepper LOL

Offline jimbo72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:08 AM »
I cut out the yellow grubs and forget about the little black spots.  My dad does the same.  He is 56 years old and has been eating fish his entire life.  Neither of us has ever had any problems following this rule of thumb.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:54 AM »
There's nothing wrong with the parasites in the fish. I've been eating fish since I was able to eat solid foods. It won't harm your kids.

Offline leeman197628

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes Jessica Ill Check Your Depth For Ya!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:53 PM »
i have seen that also but mainly in ponds.  it wont hurt ya if ya cook them. just think of all of the parasites that you cant see. sure scares me. specially in the meat counter at the grocery store ;D

Offline 52#FLATHEAD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2009, 05:46 PM »
I repair commercial food equipment for a living, Hobart. Anything that that makes food, from the grocery store to the packing house to the candy shops I fix it. And I've seen a lot that I didn't want to see.  ;)
Burly fish have whiskers....mean fish have teeth :)

Offline Bignate33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2009, 08:51 PM »
I repair commercial food equipment for a living, Hobart. Anything that that makes food, from the grocery store to the packing house to the candy shops I fix it. And I've seen a lot that I didn't want to see.  ;)
That is exactly the reason I process my own deer and not take it to a locker.  Some lockers are pretty careful and reputable, but I've also seen several that I can't figure out how they could ever pass an inspection.  At least when I process my own I know exactly what the meat has come in contact with.
You can't go fishing and drink beer all day if you don't start first thing in the morning!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.