Author Topic: inline reel  (Read 4024 times)

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
inline reel
« on: Dec 13, 2019, 07:55 PM »
Looking for reccomendations on reasonably priced inline reel.
Willing to pay a few extra bucks for quality and durability.
I tend to be a bit rough with my gear.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy
Let your life proceed by its own designs
Nothing to tell now
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine

Mizayikaa

Re: inline reel
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2019, 12:05 AM »
I don't have a lot of experience with them as I only have one and it is an Eagle Claw but I will say this for it. If it is above freezing or I am in the warm shanty I love it. If I am outside below freezing, I wont even bother with it anymore. I am sure there are better versions out there than mine though.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2019, 04:12 AM »
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:36 AM »
I have a few Frabill 371 inlines that I really like, they are basically the same as the Eagle Claw inline but made with better parts.  I also have the Genz pull out inline which is good for hole hoping.
River City Baits - Fort Wayne Indiana

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:47 AM »
As others have stated, 13 Fishing, Eagle Claw, Frabill and pretty much everyone else has an offering in this space for around $25.00-$40.  I actually like the Eagle Claw reels better than higher dollar ones.   Personally, I think it is silly to pay $100 for an inline reel given you are getting limited if any enhanced functionality and are paying for the cosmetics and packaging for the Ghost etc., reels.   Not sure where you live, but Scheel's carries a very nice Scheel's brand inline reel for around $40 and they have basically a lifetime guarantee if it malfunctions. 

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2019, 06:21 AM »
Black Betty. This is a blast to fish.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2019, 07:07 AM »
I personally have enjoyed my experience with the two 13 decent reels I own.  Well one of them is made by No.8 Tackle company which is the same reel as the 13 descent, its silver instead of black but the other one I have is actually the 13 descent.  They normally sell for 34.99 but go on sale for 29.99 from time to time.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2019, 07:43 AM »
x 2 0n the 13 descents.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2019, 07:47 AM »
 I can't believe somebody hasn't been all butt hurt over bringing inline reels. Might be a record. Kind of like augers,and drills.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2019, 08:14 AM »
x 2 0n the 13 descents.
X3 for the descents. If you fish larger fish then the 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061 Inline Ice Reel would do the trick, but it's heavier and 3x the price.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2019, 09:08 AM »
Before I went with the 6061’s looked at the eagle claws. Didn’t want to deal switching it to right hand retrieve. So went with the 6061. Liked. It a lot have picked another one up each season. Some folks have an issue with line falling off, don’t put as much line on the spool and it won’t happen. Some folks say can’t use it unless you are in a hut, I haven’t had an issue. If it gets cold enough that the eyes freeze then yes you will have an issue. If it is that cold I am going to be inside a hut anyway! Didn’t mind spending the cash cause my little wife gives me an allowance and I save my nickels up and splurge. Going to take me awhile to save enough for a live scope though!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2019, 10:05 AM »
I can't believe somebody hasn't been all butt hurt over bringing inline reels. Might be a record. Kind of like augers,and drills.
LOL because people have opinions.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Now if them schooley's would just update them with little reel seat footings.  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2019, 12:16 PM »
I have the Frabill 371 and it's not bad.  I generally only use it on a short rod for really finesse presentations, and generally in shallow water.

My only knock on it is that it's easy to accidentally engage the free spool, occasionally causing a disastrous line run-off.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Now if them schooley's would just update them with little reel seat footings.  ;)
[/quote/]

I just cut those tabs off then tape or use bands to hold them on the reel seat. Rods with Tennessee grips are the easiest,  but with a little creativity you can mount them on just about any rod.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2019, 04:15 AM »
[/quote/]

I just cut those tabs off then tape or use bands to hold them on the reel seat. Rods with Tennessee grips are the easiest,  but with a little creativity you can mount them on just about any rod.

I just saw a video where a guy also removed the front guide of the reel seat and replaced with a regular rod tip. Slipped it under the reel seat with a bit of the rod the guide was still attached to out the front hole where the mounting screw usually goes and wrapped tape around it. Eliminated the plastic hole from fraying or cutting the line.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2019, 06:11 AM »
Yep! That's what I do with my Schooleys.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2019, 06:21 AM »
I have the 13 fishing 6061, and freefall. Both are awesome reels, but I prefer the 6061.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:49 AM »
Before I went with the 6061’s looked at the eagle claws. Didn’t want to deal switching it to right hand retrieve. So went with the 6061. Liked. It a lot have picked another one up each season. Some folks have an issue with line falling off, don’t put as much line on the spool and it won’t happen. Some folks say can’t use it unless you are in a hut, I haven’t had an issue. If it gets cold enough that the eyes freeze then yes you will have an issue. If it is that cold I am going to be inside a hut anyway! Didn’t mind spending the cash cause my little wife gives me an allowance and I save my nickels up and splurge. Going to take me awhile to save enough for a live scope though!
Keep it safe! JDL

I did switch the handle on the Eagle Claw (not too hard thanks to YouTube), and I love it and my BB 6061 equally. But! I had bought two of the Eagles, one exploded inside after short use.  I'd get another BB if needed. Trial is still out on the green combo one I bought with the trigger , cant remember brandname, but I love the UL pole it came with. Triggers are cool, but I'm not a shanty guy so I need mittens and trigger can be tricky in mitts. Otherwise the stop/go of trigger is awesome.

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2019, 07:54 AM »
As others have stated, 13 Fishing, Eagle Claw, Frabill and pretty much everyone else has an offering in this space for around $25.00-$40.  I actually like the Eagle Claw reels better than higher dollar ones.   Personally, I think it is silly to pay $100 for an inline reel given you are getting limited if any enhanced functionality and are paying for the cosmetics and packaging for the Ghost etc., reels.   Not sure where you live, but Scheel's carries a very nice Scheel's brand inline reel for around $40 and they have basically a lifetime guarantee if it malfunctions.

I have an older(10yrs?) Scheels open face ice reel that i got at the one in Coralville, still works excellent to this day, I would hope/assume their inline is just as quality.
River City Baits - Fort Wayne Indiana

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Anyone have experience good or bad with the No. 8 CGI reels?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:34 AM »
ive got one.it works about as good as a eagle claw inline..not very good.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:36 AM »
What benefit do the inline reels serve vs a spinning reel? Line twist? Drop speed?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:45 AM »
Idk its a fad..inlines drag sucks its either on or off and barely a in between.they dont freespool tiny jigs very good,they balance offset on the handle side.line does stay less coily i guess.spool rubs palm using pencils grip.i only have experience with the long and short stem eagle claw,no 8 cgi and numerous frabill models.im not buying a more expensive model because i just dont like them.i now only use them to drop heavy smelt rigs into deep water.they freespool heavy spoons like a rocket.small jigs you still have to pull line off like a spinning reel.jmo

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:48 AM »
I have the Eagle Claw inline reel and like it a lot.  Last year someone took one apart right next to one of CGI's inline reels and other than the color and finish each part was exactly the same.  The only thing I did to mine when I got it was take the spool off and put some quality oil on it so it spins more freely.  I'm going to get a few more and have no complaints or issues with it.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:50 AM »
 I drop some pretty small ice flies without having to pull line out.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:52 AM »
Just so you know the no8 is now 13 fishing descent.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2019, 08:58 AM »
I did switch the handle on the Eagle Claw (not too hard thanks to YouTube), and I love it and my BB 6061 equally. But! I had bought two of the Eagles, one exploded inside after short use.  I'd get another BB if needed. Trial is still out on the green combo one I bought with the trigger , cant remember brandname, but I love the UL pole it came with. Triggers are cool, but I'm not a shanty guy so I need mittens and trigger can be tricky in mitts. Otherwise the stop/go of trigger is awesome.
I nawab looking at that reel at a sporting goods store and the guy behind the counter didn’t have a clue on how to switch it. I think they were pretty new so not really any videos at that time. The green combo is a 13 fishing freefall ghost think it is called radioactive pickle.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:06 AM »

Yes, that's what I was talking about in my post before.  I have a No. 8 Tackle cgi reel and one 13 descent reel, they are both essentially the same real just one is silver (cgi) and other is black (13).  The descent the added a little softer feel to it cosmetically but perform exactly the same.  They feel a little cheesy but I haven't had any issues with them.  I really like them.

And yes No.8 tackle changed to 13 fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.