Author Topic: Me Heater disappointment  (Read 2205 times)

Offline TheBigLIft

• IceShanty Rookie
Me Heater disappointment
« on: Nov 22, 2016, 05:37 PM »
Recently purchased a Big Buddy heater, the camoflauge one. Primary purpose of the heater was for use in the ice. So what a better way to try it out than bring it out in the deer stand with me during gun season. The temp was 20 degrees and the 1 pound tank frosted over and shut down the heater.. i tried multiple tanks, all with the same result.. So i emailed Mr Heater...... surely they can help... right?

WRONG!!!!

The response i received was comical at best:

"Cameron
Hi my name is Brian
you might have to use a bigger tank."

I get the reasoning, but this is the best i get for purchasing a $130 heater? We use them when it's COLD!!! Clearly they have an issue and won't do anything about it.

It's going back!!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Me Heater disappointment
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2016, 05:53 PM »
8 years on mine, no issues. 

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2016, 06:04 PM »
Did you ask Mr Heater if they knew what you were doing wrong?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2016, 06:07 PM »
That is a common occurrence in winter. What I do is bring a large metal coffee can and add about 2" of lake water. Then I put this can over top of my heater to heat the water to about body temperature. When ready I put the propane bottle inside the can. The bottle will never ice up as it is being bathed in warm water, nor will its output diminish as it is running.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2016, 06:18 PM »
I made a 2 mm neoprene sleeve for mine. Slip it over the tank, works like a charm.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2016, 06:43 PM »
On high it really needs to be run off a 20lber. If it is really cold I will gang 2 of them together so each tank is only supporting half the draw.

Offline El Matador

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2016, 06:52 PM »
You can't fault Mr. Heater for this one.  As the propane turns from liquid to gas inside the cylinder it's going to get colder and eventually freeze.  This is just thermodynamics and will happen with any propane appliance.  Some good suggestions already on keeping the bottle from freezing.  Heck, I get frost on my bottles when I run the heater in my house!

I carry extra bottles and just switch them out when one freezes. 

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:23 PM »
It's the way propane and any other LPG works.  I use a 5# bulk tank instead of the 1# cans. It is dirt cheap by comparison and it never freezes. Disposables run from $5 to $6.50 here and a 5# fill is $8. Payback in about 10 trips. After that you are saving $$$.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:28 PM »
Recently purchased a Big Buddy heater, the camoflauge one. Primary purpose of the heater was for use in the ice. So what a better way to try it out than bring it out in the deer stand with me during gun season. The temp was 20 degrees and the 1 pound tank frosted over and shut down the heater.. i tried multiple tanks, all with the same result.. So i emailed Mr Heater...... surely they can help... right?

WRONG!!!!

"Cameron
Hi my name is Brian

I get the reasoning, but this is the best i get for purchasing a $130 heater? We use them when it's COLD!!! Clearly they have an issue and won't do anything about it.

It's going back!!

I had a Big Buddy heater. Thing was a POS. After it fell out of the back of my buddies truck I gave it to him free. Thing never worked right and always was going out. Went to a simple mr heater cooker and all my troubles were gone. Now that my buddy has the other heater he said it works great and never had a problem with it.lol go figure?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:30 PM »
Fill your own one pounders. The ones you buy don't have the additive in it so it doesn't freeze up.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2016, 09:21 PM »
I have two, the Big Buddy and the small Buddy Heater - they can be tricky to start, but I've never had propane issues. I live in about the coldest place you can - Winnipeg, any colder and I'd be living on Mars.  I use a 10lbs tank to move around as it's lighter than a 20lbs tank and still saves $$$ over those 1lbs bottles. 
How long is a piece of string?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2016, 10:56 PM »
I've never had propane issues because I use a 10lb tank..

Fixed what you said...

Bigger tank= no worries

<°)))>{

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2016, 07:41 AM »

WRONG!!!!

"Cameron
Hi my name is Brian

It's going back!!

Did you ever call Mr. Heater or just email?

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:32 AM »
I have had problems before and just change out the 1 lb can, but it only seems to happen when it is really cold out like below zero (f)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:42 AM »
It's the way propane and any other LPG works.  I use a 5# bulk tank instead of the 1# cans. It is dirt cheap by comparison and it never freezes. Disposables run from $5 to $6.50 here and a 5# fill is $8. Payback in about 10 trips. After that you are saving $$$.

I also use a 5#er on my heaters.
I get 2 trips per tank and believe it or not I pay about 25% less than you for my fill up here in Yellowknife!!!!
The 5# tanks are quite a bit more $$$ than a 20# but are so much lighter and easy to transport.
My propane guy here says that when it has reached it's 10 year point and they won't refill that I get them to rebuild and certify it as it will be about the cost of a 20# tank to get it done. Then I'm good for another 10 years. :)

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2016, 11:00 AM »
Cost me $3 to fill my 5lb...

<°)))>{

Offline OntarioRider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2016, 11:10 AM »
I have the buddy heater. I use the 1 lb tanks but also have a 10 lb tank. I seem to always have issues with the hose though.
I am going to try an actual Mr. Heater hose this year and see if it makes a difference. I have been using third party hoses from Canadian Tire and they seem to be very finicky with the propane. Very frustrating actually.
I also use a filter between the heater and the tank when using the 10 lb'er.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2016, 11:27 AM »
I know it won't work for everyone, but for me, I normally fish in a "smaller" size shack.  What I've found is that if you can find some of the old school tank top heaters, they are the ticket.  Mr. Heater made one, Paulin made one, Coleman as well.  These are very simple devices. They screw on the top of a tank, they have a simple on and off/setting valve wheel and then a tube that goes up to a burner.  No tip over sensor, no low oxygen sensor, no thermocouple.  You turn them on, get a flame close to them and they fire up.  They give off lots of heat, weigh next to nothing and take up virtually no space.  They are virtually bullet-proof (less features, less to go wrong). 

All of that said, they will burn holes in stuff, they will consume oxygen (and won't shut themselves off) and they are pretty small (not going to heat a huge space).  Even if you use a bigger heater as your primary, I'd recommend getting yourself one of these heaters as a back up.  They take up no space in your pack/bucket and are a great backup when you get on the ice and your Mr. Heater starts acting up. 

Here's an example on a closed auction of what I'm referring to:  http://www.k-bid.com/auction/1136/item/8
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2016, 02:41 PM »
Recently purchased a Big Buddy heater,

This is your problem, maybe you should have purchased the regular portable mr. buddy. It is commonly known the larger unit with 2 ceramic burners and the batteries for the fan don't run well off 1lb tanks. How big is your deer blind or ice shack to warrant a 18,000 BTU heater? The big buddy was designed more for RV campers or garages where they figure if you have that much space to heat... two 1lb bottles won't cut it. Whereas if you want to be portable for areas up to 200 sqft, get the portable mr. buddy. The big buddy would probably draw from the 1lb tanks on the lower settings but on high probably struggles. JMO
It must be something in the water.

Offline TheBigLIft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2016, 10:11 AM »
**UPDATE**

Received a response today from Mr Heaters customer service, and let's just say, they are taking care of the problem. I'm extremely satisfied with their response following the first correspondence.

Look, i understand the properties of propane, and why 1# bottles frost up.. but don't market a camo heater called "Hunting Buddy" which holds a 1# bottle, along with a side compartment to hold a backup 1# bottle, only to tell me it needs to have a bigger tank.

To quote Mr Heater customer service "FYI- I'm not a big fan of the Hunting Buddy"

However...they are making matter right! Nice job Mr Heater!!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2016, 10:48 AM »
I can understand your frustration, but I will add here that the best thing I ever bought for ice fishing was my 11lb bulk tank. Half the diameter of a typical 20lb BBQ tank and about the same height. It takes 2.7 gallons of propane and the 1 lb tanks actually have a lot less than 1lb of propane capacity. I did the math and my 11lb tank is roughly equivalent to 25 of the small disposable tanks. I pay about $8 to fill my tank and the small ones cost at best $3 each. So my $8 in propane is equivalent to $75 worth of the disposable ones. I don't think I have used a disposable tank on my buddy heater since.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2016, 12:52 PM »
the hunting buddy puts out more heat =uses more fuel=freezes tanks up faster.  they should have designed the unit to heat the fuel bottle while running to prevent freeze ups.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2016, 02:23 PM »
This is your problem, maybe you should have purchased the regular portable mr. buddy. It is commonly known the larger unit with 2 ceramic burners and the batteries for the fan don't run well off 1lb tanks. How big is your deer blind or ice shack to warrant a 18,000 BTU heater? The big buddy was designed more for RV campers or garages where they figure if you have that much space to heat... two 1lb bottles won't cut it. Whereas if you want to be portable for areas up to 200 sqft, get the portable mr. buddy. The big buddy would probably draw from the 1lb tanks on the lower settings but on high probably struggles. JMO

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2016, 06:44 PM »
I can understand your frustration, but I will add here that the best thing I ever bought for ice fishing was my 11lb bulk tank. Half the diameter of a typical 20lb BBQ tank and about the same height. It takes 2.7 gallons of propane and the 1 lb tanks actually have a lot less than 1lb of propane capacity. I did the math and my 11lb tank is roughly equivalent to 25 of the small disposable tanks. I pay about $8 to fill my tank and the small ones cost at best $3 each. So my $8 in propane is equivalent to $75 worth of the disposable ones. I don't think I have used a disposable tank on my buddy heater since.

Were you using refilled 1# tanks that weren't filled all the way? I've put new ones on the scale to see where I need to fill used ones and they have 1lb in them. If they were under one lb then the government would be all over them and fine them pretty heavily for not having in the tank at what was advertise. I've put over a lb in refilling them myself sometimes. Not saying it doesnt happen, because the Blue rhino exchange tanks around here was checked and had to pay a huge fine due to shorting the customer, but that was a refill exchange service not a new out the door filled manufactured tank like the 1lb tanks.

Not to burst your bubble, but an 11lb propane tank is nowhere near the equivelent of 25-1lb tanks. its equal to 11 tanks. You save bout $25 a fill using your 11# tank if the green bombs are $3 and your refill is $8. Personally I agree the 1# tanks are way to expensive. I just take and refill 27 off them (3 milk crates worth) off of a large 20# tank and  that tank is refille off my huge farm  LP tank. With Propane at $1  gallon and ruffly 4lbs in. gallon. I refill my own stuff and it runs $0.25 a lb. regaurdless of size. I also use. 5# and 11# tank. it cost $2.75 for the 11# lb. to refill off aa big tank. 

Offline TheBigLIft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2016, 07:22 PM »
No, i was using off the shelf tanks..

Everyone points are valid....the heater puts out too many BTU's and cause the bottles to frost up.. then why sell it? Why buy a $130 heater, then have to purchase another $75+ on bigger tanks/hoses when what is DESIGNED for are 1# tanks... some of us pack VERY light when ice fishing and can't haul around an 11# tank!

Offline TheBigLIft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2016, 07:24 PM »

It's not the one with two ceramic heater and a fan.. one ceramic heater no fan..It's marketed as "Hunting Buddy"

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Not to burst your bubble, but an 11lb propane tank is nowhere near the equivelent of 25-1lb tanks. its equal to 11 tanks.

You are right, my math is all screwed up because I am using liquid oz in place of weight and a lb of propane is not 128 oz. It's like 64oz. Regardless, the point I'm trying to make is it's worth it to use a bulk tank over the green cans for a lot of reasons. Price is only one of them. Refilling the tanks is fine but seems like time wasted to me, plus you need to buy them new at some point. I just go to Tractor Supply and have them fill the 11lb tank like twice a season.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2016, 08:57 AM »
The benefits of using 1lbers is not having to use a hose or take up any additional footprint.   If you are going to use a hose/tank, then IMO a 20lb tank is by far the best choice.   Not only do they occupy about the same footprint as an 11lber, but if you happen to find yourself empty and can’t find a place that does refills,  you will most likely be able to find a place that will  at least do an exchange for a 20lber.   Not only that, but you also have the initial cost of the 11lber which isn’t cheap.   Plus with a 20lber, if you happen to bang in up, or it starts rusting, you can simply just go exchange it for a “fresh” one.  :) 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2016, 09:03 AM »
i read that some take the frozen bottles and places them in ice holes to float and thaw.

you could have a cargo net over head and put them in there where all the heat is going to thaw them.
the key is to bring extras. i keep a little bucket full of them and take what i need. those neoprene sleeves pre-built are way too tight to use, so making them would be better if you want to try that idea.

also, set your heater on some thing to help get it off of the cold/ice. i set mine on a air cushion for hunting and don't have severe freeze ups where the tanks don't empty. it also helps with not making a lot of extra water which also reduces the amount of condensation it would have made.
i think one extra cold night i had some issues, but plenty of reserve tanks to keep things toasty.

notice no water on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.