Author Topic: POWER BOX USERS  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
POWER BOX USERS
« on: Feb 06, 2019, 04:45 PM »
I use a 2 man flip over clam and love the room in it since I took one seat out and put the other in the center. I've ran LED lights on three overhead poles, and have them plugged into a power box. I don't use the lights much except to look for something, or change lures. Sometimes I wonder why I bought the lights, and built the power box. I used to just use a light on my hat. How many others have power boxes, and run their lights all the time, or not very often. I do use mine for running my vex, and have used it to charge my phone, but for lights not too often.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: POWER BOX USERS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:53 PM »
I bring a dual purpose LED flashlight,  pencil beam on end and multi LED on side.  My F/F is in a plastic ammo box with it's own 7 amp battery.  I charge my phone once a week, guess I don't think I'm that important it can't wait until I get home.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Sometimes I wonder why I put led’s in my shanty and built a power box also. I rarely use them. BUT, when I need an over head light or a phone charger or b***hin’ flashlight, I have it and it works well. I put led strips in my hub last season and finally used them a few days ago for the first time. They worked great. When I got home I let them run on a full charge and I stopped watching the clock after 7 hours so I’ll have all the light I’ll ever need. I use a 12ah sla battery. Highly considering an Energized Outdoors 12ah lithium battery. Tempting.

My power box also works really well for camping. Kept both the wife and I’s phone charged for 4 days. It comes in real handy during power outages. I can also run my Tascam portable audio recorder from it when I want to. I use it around the house more than I do for ice fishing.

Honestly, I think I wanted to build one more than I “needed” one. As time goes by I use it for more things. Super fun project though and much cheaper than buying a pre-built unit.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:53 AM »
I have my flip outfitted with several LED lights - main overhead for major lighting, "fishing" lighting that I can dim as well as change color, a light that shines down into the shanty tub behind my seat, and a blue marine light mounted on the tub that I use to charge glow lures.  These are all hard wired to a marine switch panel that I permanently mounted in the shanty and has (6) rocker switches along with a USB outlet to charge phone or run a fan, a 12v plug (cigarette lighter) that I use for my minnow cooler aerator, and a voltage readout.  Only thing I need to do is connect the power leads to the switch panel which is done with a pair of alligator clips that I attach to my portable battery box - literally takes 10 seconds.  Box houses a 12v battery wired to a single on/off toggle switch that controls the power to the +/- connecting posts.  Super easy to do and those lighting features come in handy when you need them for night fishing in particular, but great when setting up in the pre-dawn hours, or when putting things away at dusk.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:47 AM »
RyanW, I feel the same way, didn't need it but I built it. I used to use a set of clear battery operated christmas lights, hung from the tube above my head. Turned it on when needed, off when done. They're still in the shanty. Still wear my head lamp too. Old habits are hard to get rid of. I might put some spot lights in my Genz box just because I have them, maybe a couple in the power box for the same reason. I made my power box from an old tackle box, and use it in my 14ft boat to run my depth finder, and running lights. It was a fun project. I'll shut up now, just wondering if anybody used theirs, and how much use they get, thanks for the replys.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:32 AM »
i love mine i also use it in my boat

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:11 AM »
I'm interested in one. Would you recommend to buy or make one, if I told you I am horrible at wiring?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:30 AM »
I'm interested in one. Would you recommend to buy or make one, if I told you I am horrible at wiring?

Make one.  Between Amazon and/or eBay you can get the parts pretty cheap - all sorts of LED component options along with switches.  Buy a variety pack of crimp-on electrical connectors and a package of lever nuts and you can connect most anything.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:39 AM »
Thanks Bucket Rump
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:50 AM »
Bucket Rump, had to google lever nuts, never heard of them. I got all the stuff for my power box at Amazon,

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2019, 12:12 PM »
Bucket Rump, had to google lever nuts, never heard of them. I got all the stuff for my power box at Amazon,

Handy little buggers - basically mini terminal strips.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2019, 01:07 PM »
i made one to hold a lithium 10 amp battery and i hot glued a cob led to the side of the lid and use it all of the time ice fishing. if it's dark, it is on until i get off the ice. i used to use the battery for smd5050 water proof led's on my upper support arms in my flip and a longer length i'd use in a hub, but i find it easier to just use my headlamp and the ammo box cob led and it's just simple to use. the headlamp points right where you need light always so you don't really need more light. the ammo box light is a great lantern to light up my area and attract fish. i keep the ammo box up tight to the tub of my flip and points towards the ice holes.
 they both are important to me, but if i had to pick only one, it would be the headlamp. i can hang it on the top support bar and aim it where i want it or wear it or hold it like a flashlight.
i saw a trick someone did was to take a gallon jug with water in it and put a headlamp on it facing the water to make a lantern.

the led's on the support arms are only good if your in the shanty which i am not that much. i use a remote control to dim it and turn it off and on. was ok, but not needed.

my marcum shuttle charges anything usb.

ammo box with cob led. i always prefer daylight color temp over warm light color temps. makes things pop like hd.

headlamp hanging and aimed at ice holes and ammo box cob led on

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:51 AM »

Check out Ice Hole Power website.  You can buy a DIY kit from him, or just buy a complete unit. 

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:56 AM »
 Stickhick86, make one they're easy to do and lots of vids on utube, or as  Ice Surveyor posted, Ice Hole Power website, has everything you need and I think he has a video also.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.