Author Topic: country pond tournament in Newton  (Read 1534 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
country pond tournament in Newton
« on: Feb 15, 2024, 05:34 AM »
Will the tournament that's scheduled for 2/25 be cancelled? Also, on an everyday basis, is there any public access on this pond for non-residents so we can get onto the pond to ice fish either in Newton or Kingston?

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: country pond tournament in Newton
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2024, 09:48 AM »
Years ago the scout camp let us drive in but not sure that's still the case.  Frankly, I doubt it. 

Edited to add:  The scout camp is gone and has been replaced by a private campground. 

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2024, 10:22 AM »
Years ago the scout camp let us drive in but not sure that's still the case.  Frankly, I doubt it. 

Edited to add:  The scout camp is gone and has been replaced by a private campground.
Lone Tree..
That's a shame. I spent time there as a wee lad.
In this day and age, Surprised they didn't put condos in
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2024, 05:23 PM »
I loved that derby..won biggest pick twice..we use to park at the town beach when no one cared but they put a stop to that..then we parked up a side road right before the bridge and they put a stop to that..then we got permission to park at the campground ..I haven’t been to country pond in years ..cut my teeth there fishing for bass when I a teacher at Newton Memorial School
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2024, 05:28 PM »
if there is no public access to non-residents, do they get $$ from the sale of fishing licenses?

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2024, 06:07 AM »
if there is no public access to non-residents, do they get $$ from the sale of fishing licenses?
I don’t think so. I got to the point where I would put my boat in and then go park at the school I worked at up the street. Then I would ride a bike back down to the pond ..lol..that’s how much I loved that place back in the day ..
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2024, 07:18 AM »
I don’t think so. I got to the point where I would put my boat in and then go park at the school I worked at up the street. Then I would ride a bike back down to the pond ..lol..that’s how much I loved that place back in the day ..
That's a big PIA! What would you do with the bike when you got back to the boat?

Offline MikeF-NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2024, 09:10 AM »
The residents make it very clear that they don't want non-residents on "their pond". This is evidenced by the report further up where everytime an access is found...someone calls and they lock of the new access. 20+ years ago I used to drop my canoe in at the launch and park up the road where it was allowed at that time. While fishing we had a boat pulling a tuber buzz us on several passes where the tuber came within 10 yards of us on his swing out. We got back to the ramp and had two cruisers waiting for us. They said "someone called and said you were smoking weed" (I don't and didn't smoke weed). They asked if they could search and I gave them 100% cooperation to search us, our gear and even my truck up the road...of course they found nothing. There was no "sorry for the inconvenience" or "thank you for your cooperation"...just sour looks that they couldn't find anything to bust us on. That was my last time on that pond....a win for residents I guess. Actually we did fish the ice tourney once and I came in from the scout camp. I knew the director and asked for permissions...not a bad access point. Sounds like the campground now allows it....wouldn't be surprised that if local residents find out about that access...they pressure the campground to stop allowing access.

Country Pond = not worth it

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2024, 09:58 AM »
it's a damn shame. Does anyone know if they receive any state funding or funding from fishing license sales? I read that they get grants from NH Lakes organization. not sure where NH Lakes get their funding from. If they get public funding, the Public should have access.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2024, 04:56 AM »
That's a big PIA! What would you do with the bike when you got back to the boat?
i would put it in the woods near the ramp

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2024, 09:17 PM »
derby cancelled

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.