Author Topic: jiggin rapla  (Read 2507 times)

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
jiggin rapla
« on: Jan 31, 2005, 04:33 PM »
Can anybody post a pic of the jiggin rapalas as well as tell me how to rig them and how well they work. :tipup:

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: jiggin rapla
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2005, 07:36 PM »
Ok, they are very good lures for perch and walleye mostly, I suppose they can catch other species...if you tip them, put it on the treble hook, because if you put it on the end the lure will be off-balance and it won't work.
Here's a link
http://www.rapala.com/products/index.html

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2005, 08:03 PM »
Ive already got one that i think is a rapala for jigging ill post a pic tomorrow. :tipup:

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2005, 04:32 PM »

Ive had this for a few years is it a jiggin rapla? how sould i rig it? :tipup:

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2005, 05:03 PM »
Nope that would be an open water shallow diver, maybe a countdown...that won't work. Sorry Shrub. :-\

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:40 PM »
Swimming lures like the jigging rapala are some of the very best ice lures around. I have a whole box full of them. Perch, Crappie, Trout, Walleye, Pike, even catfish love them. Since they are so heavy, they need heavier line to work than other lures. I wouldn't use anything under 6 pound test to use these lures, even for panfish. For the bigger raps, say over a #7, I would use 12 pound mono or fluorocarbon. The heavier line slows down the rap and makes it swim in a slower, more tantalizing circle. For a #2 or #3, six pound test is fine. Fluorocarbon is probably the best option if using heavier line because it's invisible.
For walleyes, I like to place a small minnow head on the treble, but often with walleyes you don't have to. For panfish or trout, a tiny sliver of crawler or a perch eye works great.
To fish them, start with a 2 foot lift fall, and let it sit for about 10 seconds. Then add subtle jiggles every 5 - 10 seconds for about 20 seconds, followed by another lift/fall/pause. They swim in a circle and will be moving for quite some time after you pause.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2005, 11:16 PM »
 Here's a little something I have been doing for years. Along with using the head on the BACK treblehook, use the rest of the minnow to give your Rap more scent. Rub the guts and blood on your Rap, just that little extra you can do to  intice them to bite. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.