New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: First timer this week  (Read 370 times)

Offline huntdeertk

• IceShanty Rookie
First timer this week
« on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:15 PM »
Going first time this week. Saratoga or Round lake. I got 9 tip ups, rented a power auger from navy. Waiting for ups to bring jig poles. Plan is 3-5 foot leader with shad darts tipped with minnows, meal worms and cut down plastic or #8 or 10 hooks tipped with same, also might take small pole with braided fire line and jig with minnow.
Questions
 1I got some wire leaders with large hooks 2/0 would this work for pike I or do you use wire in the cold?
I could use a leader of 20lb mono from stripper pole
2 is a leader of regular mono going to work or do I néed ice line
3 I went through summer gear, pulling all small jigs, spinners and spoons including fly rod spoons daredevil and Johnson silver minnow, I also pulled big ass Martin soft bait jigs for saltwater. Will the tiny spoons 1/32 or 1/16 oz jig for panfish and will these 2 oz salt jigs work if I go after lakers n salmon up north.

Plan if to try Saranac area/ Rollins for lakers salmon if I can get time.  Any help appreciated as 1 I don’t even know what I don’t know and I might be dragging kids with me.

I do know to check ice, wear cleats, rope, etc, dress in layers. Thanks

To

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
Re: First timer this week
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 01:55 AM »
Good Luck this weekend! First thing i wanted to note was NYS Law limits you to 7 lines in the water while on the ice, so if you're planning to jig, only 6 of the tip ups can be set. My go to setup with my tip ups is 8lb or 10lb 2-4' Fluoro leaders with size 10 trebles that ill use to target Walleye or Perch. If im going for pike, ill switch out my leader for ones with 20lb test and some larger trebles. Those two setups have worked well for me. Still working on my preferred laker setup so unfortunately cant help you out too much with that one. 

As for the small spoons, should work for pannies. If you have any tiny jig heads (1/32 or 1/64), tip them with some small plastics or a spike and they will also be effective. Tight Lines and hope you have lots of flags  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.