The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Wellston panfish info?  (Read 702 times)

Offline fishingguru

• IceShanty Rookie
Wellston panfish info?
« on: Nov 27, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Hey guys I am just looking for a little info on some good panfishing lakes around the Wellston area. A buddy of mine has a family cottage in the area and want to plan a guys weekend ice fishing trip this winter. Really don't want to fish for pike or walleye, looking more for perch or bluegill. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wellston panfish info?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Pine Lake
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2013, 08:54 PM »
I fished Pine Lake long long ago. Has anyone fished it in recent years with any success?

Offline hoosierhawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2013, 08:00 AM »
A buddy and I have fished Pine three times in the last two years. We got blanked once, caught a few decent fish once and did really well once. We hooked up with a couple of "ol' timers" one evening and they were a great source of info....especially about ice conditions. Apparently the lake ALWAYS freezes in a weird way, currents, winds or somethng causes it but I can say it is not for the faint hearted. We fished over some pretty deep water when we had our best luck. But man is it spooky out there....the ice talks ALOT even when we were on 6-8" of good, clear ice. There were always some BIG cracks around and some with water pushing through. We literally ran off the ice one morning. But....we also caught some BIG perch, some nice bass and had the priviledge of "feeding" a couple of bald eagles that hang out on the west side of the lake......it was AWESOME to be 10' from such a magnificent bird when they come down on the ice to accept your offering. The ol' timers were using noodle rods 7-10' long and were jigging hard and fast.....but they had the best mess of BIG perch i have ever seen. Most of their fish were 12"+ and fat!
We had the best luck jigging small jigs tipped with spikes and waxies. We didn't have any luck with minnows or using tip-ups or dead sticking.
Good Luck and Be Careful out there.

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2013, 03:41 PM »
Many years back it had been planted with Browns. I saw a nice stringer some guys had and a friend hooked one from the boat. We ice fished it ONCE and discovered it was spring fed which nearly ended badly for us. I recall some deep water and being able to see huge logs that had been cut for the mill sitting on the bottom. The story was that they ran tracks across it in the winter to haul logs but what lake doesn't have the same story. Should the weather make the drive worth it I may make it a go to place to try again. Thanks for the input.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.