The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Bait???  (Read 305 times)

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bait???
« on: Nov 29, 2013, 03:02 PM »
This summer while gill fishing I tried some of my ice fishing jigs and wax worms that work thru the ice along with the usual #10 hook with red worms. Worms out produced waxies by a good 10-1. Question? Has anyone used pieces of red worms thru the ice on a jig ? I keep a few hundred thru the winter and thought about giving them a shot.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bait???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Worms will work through the ice. But you need to remember that fish are cold blooded, their food intake needs are less so a smaller presentation is usually needed. A #10 jig and a Waxie is often way to big for what they're interested in so present it accordingly.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2013, 03:11 PM »
I don't think it would be a question of whether theyd like it or not... Can't say cuz I've never tried but I would think that if u cut a red wormup small enough for winter presentation you might have troubles with the piece just mashin/tearin up and fallin of the hook... Hope that made sence... You need to find a miniature breed of red worm.
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2013, 03:34 PM »
Plastics. Take a 1/64oz no collar jighead, bent the Aberdeen hook shank UP 45* and thread a Whip, Bloodworm Noodle,........... on with the tail waving at you. Send to the bottom, I mean BOTTOM, and let it set there. While you're busy working the water column and totally focused on the flasher, you'd be amazed at the big fish drifting through that will slurp up a worm like a little kid eating spaghetti, it's a fairly normal food for them. Not a natural food in the water column but they do live in the bottom and fish know it. Been doing it for decades, nearly effortless to present and has accounted for most of the better fish I've ever taken. Mainly use Red but Black and Purple work as well. 

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2013, 03:46 PM »
Thanks Swift, I will give that a try. Always looking for something new to add to the arsenal.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.