Author Topic: Depth marker on line  (Read 8543 times)

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Depth marker on line
« on: Mar 04, 2003, 01:16 PM »
I know alot of us use a button to mark how deep we have the line down when fishing tip ups.  I recently picked up some slip foam bobbers (cone shape).  There is a slit in the bobber and when the fishing line is pressed into it, it acts as a slip bobber.  If you insert the small pin, it is now a stationary bobber.  Now the question:  I used these for the first time this weekend (as depth markers) and am concerned that when the pike runs with the bait, the bobber will go under and he will feel the resistance and drop it.  Is this likely or no way.  I asked the first pike we iced this Sat...........but he was tight lipped!!  ;D ;D ;D  
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Depth marker on line
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2003, 02:30 PM »
We use slip bobber knots for all line marking needs.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline RodH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2003, 02:50 PM »
I use regular clip on bobbers for depth markers, but small ones.  1/2'' diameter.  Easy on, easy off.  I fish primarily for trout species which can be fussy at times.  At that size, I'm confident that the fish are not feeling much resistance.  At any rate, I've had success with them.

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2003, 03:01 PM »
I second the use of slip bobber knots.  They are cheap and they don't break like those cheap little red and white bobbers.  They are also very visible.

Eric
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2003, 03:11 PM »
And slip knots are much easier to manipulate with frozen fingers.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2003, 03:14 PM »
I use a small bobber half inch in size.There's hardly no resistance to them,you won't have any problems.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2003, 04:15 PM »
I use a very small alligator clip (1/2" long) clipped to my line just below the tip-up spool and I clip it to the flag for storage.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2003, 10:35 PM »
i use a small split shot to mark the line it is easy to get on ane off and you can do it with pilers so you dont neet to take your gloves off. ;D

new2theice

« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2003, 02:06 AM »
l've been using the small split shot also (after reading about others using it, on this site) and feel it works great.  Guess what l like about it is the fact that it doesn't interfere with winding up the reel.    

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2003, 03:18 AM »
The Goatboys have been using splitshots for years.And as new2theice said,it doesnt interfere with the winding up of the reel.

Offline luzerne9n

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2003, 06:08 AM »
the best are the little plastic beads.  the ones you buy at fishing centers.   they have a little hole thru them.  you run your line thru them and then double it back and thru again.  you adjust by pulling it up or down with your thumb and finger.  it rolls up on your real with your line when you pack up and is ready for the next time.  it is light and sinks readily when its in water.  they come in all sizes from 1/8 to 1/2 in., and in oval shapes.

crawler

« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2003, 08:17 AM »
Gambler sounds like a good idea I use the tab from a soda can and just loop it in but gonna try the roach  I mean aligator clips lol

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2003, 03:40 PM »
A button works well also used a small split shot and also tieing a slip knot in the line works well too its all preference
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

mngonefishing

« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2003, 06:18 PM »
I use my tip ups for larger fish only. or at least i try to  ;D  what i have done is to mark the line (black line) with a yellow crayola color crayon. if you need to change depths just wipe it off. get the thick crayons they work better in the cold

trapperdirk

« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2003, 06:52 PM »
Ya know mngonefishing . I think your onto something here. Crayola yellow with black line . I have used every method so far posted, but this one, and they all work. I've also used every type of line known to mankind .I am going back to the old black line with a clear mono leader on my tipups.Thanks for the tip.Learn something everyday. ;) ;D

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2003, 05:15 AM »
I use slip bobber knots the year round. in my opinion the onlything to use.very simple operation.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

bugman-Greg

Re:Depth marker on line
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2003, 01:52 PM »
I have always used a button and think it works best for me, but it may not for some others

Offline skippy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2003, 06:53 PM »
we use the same strike indicaters that we use for steelhead fishing. foam with a small center pin. if the pike drops the bait the float keeps the rig from gettingfouled in weeds   keeps the bait at about the same depth.
      for more finicky fish ya cant beat a slip bobber knot

skp.
scott mccall

acsacmboy

« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:05 AM »
the smallest bobber.

Offline Bridog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2004, 03:29 PM »
Tie on one half of a wood match stick.  Easy to make and you dont have to worry about losing it.

Brian
Brian

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2004, 03:59 PM »
I usually use a button but depending on the line an the button they can be tough to deal will. I will try the crayon method and small rubber bands this year. Good fishin...
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline mainefishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2004, 04:42 PM »
Ive been using a button, but the other day myline managed to twist round a button i had on the reel (shallow water and i wasnt using it) and it cost me a fish!, the quick tension caused 'm to let go

Offline gerryskid

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2004, 12:20 AM »
try little bread bag twist ties

MUSKY 2004

« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2004, 08:06 PM »
NOTHING BEATS AN ORDINARY BUTTON. THEY WORK GREAT,ARE CHEAP, AND LAST FOREVER. :D

Offline IcePirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2004, 07:05 PM »
how about a small piece of rubber band tied to your line , try it it works
C'mon fishy's , C'mon - South Shore Diehard since 66' - Vexilar , Clam corp., Ski-doo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.