Author Topic: I need your help!!!  (Read 1543 times)

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
I need your help!!!
« on: Nov 03, 2011, 10:17 PM »
alright guys, i've decided to make a strike indicator light for my tip up....  I have it all figured out, but one thing..... I will be using a single L.E.D. diode at the tip of a heritage trap, with a battery pack strapped to the top of the top of the center wood....  but playing with the flag, making a contact point would be pretty difficult....  its in my mind scrambled up, i know it can be done, but for some reason i just cant straighten it out on paper.....  any and all input is appreciated.....

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: I need your help!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2011, 10:25 PM »
How about a mercury switch from a thermostat on the flag.
You could also remove same from a silent on/off household wall switch.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Search ebay for "Tilt Switch".  There used to be someone selling non-mecury tilt switches.  I think they were $5 for 10 of them.

Offline ctjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2011, 09:54 AM »
We use  Frabill Lil Shiner tip up lights. The snap on the flag pole, have a built in tip switch, very brite red l.e.d.which flashes. Nice thing is after use they unsnap for storeage. Been useing them 3 years on the same batt. they are about 10 bucks each

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2011, 06:19 AM »
Frabill also has one that flashes a led light and also has a Siren !

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2011, 01:56 PM »
Is that the one you use on your 'fridge?!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2011, 05:06 PM »
x2 2 on the tilt switch thats the way i would go
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2011, 05:47 PM »
i went to the local dollar store and got some window and door alarms, they were only a dollar obviously, and they have a magnet that when moved away from the unit it make the most annoying loud squeal youve ever heard... simply hook the small magnet to the flag rod and your good to go....the plus side to a siren is that you dont have to look outside for a light constantly,but then again,if your fishing at night and your tip ups are close you will have to figure out what one is screaming.. the power to the unit cant be activated unless the magnet is removed..i bet you could hot wire the LED into that easy as pie..

if you want to see the set up i could post a pic,but i think i rambled on about it enough for ya to get the mental image  :) :)

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2011, 09:34 PM »
i went to the local dollar store and got some window and door alarms, they were only a dollar obviously, and they have a magnet that when moved away from the unit it make the most annoying loud squeal youve ever heard... simply hook the small magnet to the flag rod and your good to go....the plus side to a siren is that you dont have to look outside for a light constantly,but then again,if your fishing at night and your tip ups are close you will have to figure out what one is screaming.. the power to the unit cant be activated unless the magnet is removed..i bet you could hot wire the LED into that easy as pie..

if you want to see the set up i could post a pic,but i think i rambled on about it enough for ya to get the mental image  :) :)

I do love that idea.  I actually did that last year, but instead of a siren it was a magnet activated light, as soon as the magnet left the light the light went on... problem is, one night it drizzled and they fizzled out.... so I was looking for more of a weather proofed way to go...... i might end up doing that again, as well as the tilt switches.... the mercury switches -- the cheapest one i found was 4 bucks and with the batteries, hardware, and light i might as well buy a tip up light...

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2011, 09:44 PM »
also -- for the power source, I was thinking about a double a battery... im not too fond of the watch batteries... that should be enough power right?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2011, 10:12 PM »
also -- for the power source, I was thinking about a double a battery... im not too fond of the watch batteries... that should be enough power right?

If you are using a LED you have to match the voltage to the LED.. 
If you use a mini Christmas light bulb, you can use a nine volt battery.  (I actually had to use two bulbs in series as 9 volt was too much voltage and was blowing the bulbs.  Even with two bulbs,  they are very bright !)

In the long run it is probably easier and cheaper to purchase Lil Shiner tip up lights or something similar.  They work great !  I have had mine for several years and haven't had a problem yet.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2011, 08:40 PM »
the sirens i was talking about are powered by 2 aaa batts... i never really use my tip ups so im not sure how many trips out in the cold they will handle but i used mine 3 times last year,for about 5 hours at least each time,and it still works...

you owe me for getting up to check it,and the damn thing about made me have a heart-attack when i flipped the on switch,i wasnt actually expecting it to beller at me after sitting all summer.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2011, 09:08 PM »
the sirens i was talking about are powered by 2 aaa batts... i never really use my tip ups so im not sure how many trips out in the cold they will handle but i used mine 3 times last year,for about 5 hours at least each time,and it still works...

you owe me for getting up to check it,and the damn thing about made me have a heart-attack when i flipped the on switch,i wasnt actually expecting it to beller at me after sitting all summer.

LOL...  Yeah, they are loud.  I made a set of those too.. but still prefer my lights..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.