Author Topic: Is it too early to start thinking about it?  (Read 3178 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Is it too early to start thinking about it?
« on: Sep 23, 2019, 09:09 AM »
I week or so ago, I started thinking about upgrading my equipment inventory to include a new 2-man flip.  My EVO1 has been great and I plan to keep it for my walk on trips when conditions dictate snowmobile use is denied.  Doing some research revealed that Clam has a new product this year that I think will fit the bill rather nicely - the Nanook XL Thermal with the new door redesign.  I've talked to Clam and they told me they SHOULD be in dealer inventories by early October.  I'm checking daily on a couple of websites (Cabelas & Scheels) but haven't seen them as of yet.

I would appreciate information on other on-line sources to check if you know of any that have done you right in the past.  While Cabelas & Scheels may not have the lowest prices on this, I can get them shipped to my local stores for free and the oversize box fee can generate some hefty shipping charges.  Thanks for any help you can send my way.  It's going to be a great year - I hope!   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline IdahoSkies

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Is it too early to start thinking about it?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Its not too early to starting thinking and planning.  I just checked the weather and some of the high country is expecting snow this coming weekend.  I don't have any real responses for other places, but Sportsman's might get them in if you call and ask. Sometimes they do special orders if they know someone is interested in something.    Otherwise, I think you are looking at the regulars:

Cabelas/Bass Pro
Clam itself
Sportsman's Guide
Amazon, etc.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2019, 12:03 PM »
We got snow down to about 8,000 feet last Thursday along the Wasatch Front here in Ogden.  Last year we fished the High Uintah Mountains in early December after several others reported doing so in late November.  I did look at Amazon Prime & Sportmans Guide a week ago - nadah.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2019, 03:12 PM »
Never too early to start thinking about it. I spent all summer watching yard sales for used poles I can cut down into ice rods. Gonna get a new sled ordered here shortly so I can figure out what mods I want to do to it and get it put on a pair of skis, plus hoping to get a fishing  trip or two in before everything freezes.

Offline Dakota-Wildcat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Check out "Reed's Sporting Goods" and "Thorne Bros" online.  Both are based in Minnesota and carry a big selection of gear.  I've ordered from both with good luck. 

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Check out "Reed's Sporting Goods" and "Thorne Bros" online.  Both are based in Minnesota and carry a big selection of gear.  I've ordered from both with good luck.
I'm monitoring several sites daily for the Nanook XL Thermal including the ones you mentioned.  And while they usually have better prices for the item than say Scheels or Cabelas, I would have to pay the large box add on fee that brings the shipping costs of either up to $150 or $200 depending on the retailer.  I pay NO shipping for deliveries to the Scheels or Cabelas stores in Utah.  Scheels, Cabelas, or Amazon are cheaper delivered than either of the 2 you mentioned - so far.  I do appreciate the tip to also check them.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2019, 10:08 AM »
As it stands right now, here re the prices on the Nanook XL Thermal delivered to my home or a local store:

Click on the image below to see it in a bigger format.

Sportsmans Guide (SG) has free shipping for Club Members and would be the best place to buy it even with the Annual Club Membership fee of $50.  The shipping fee shown for SG line above is the oversize item fee required by FedEx.  If I also buy the Frogg Toggs breathable waders from SG, that would split the membership fee in half and the total cost of the Nanook would then be $507.95
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Bob have you checked Glenns Army Navy surplus, I have bought a lot of stuff from them thru the years with no sales tax or shipping fees? I'm not sure if they have what you are looking for though.  ???

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Too late Pete; it was delivered yesterday.  I ended up buying it from Cabela's at $499.99less the military discount of 5%.  I found out on Tuesday of this week from one of the managers at the Farmington store that about 6 month's ago, BPS/Cabela's Corp reinstated the military discount for online orders and made ammunition and firearms eligible as well.  I also ordered the Clam travel cover from Cabelas.  I placed the online order Tuesday and got the cover Wednesday and the Nanook Thursday (yesterday).  I thought I had ordered both to be shipped to the Farmington Store to save on the shipping & fees, but found out I had mistakenly had it shipped to my house.  I discovered the error when the cover showed up on my porch Wednesday morning.  I immediately thought oh-oh, I'm going to have to pay that obscene over-sized box fee for the Nanook and called the Cabelas order number to check on that.   The agent said that item does not have a large box fee but does have an overweight charge of $90.  But that fee was not charged on my order for some unknown reason.  Whew - I lucked out on that one.

So, I ended up paying $474.99 with the 5% military discount and got free shipping to my house (Free delivery on $50 minimum qualifying merchandise purchase - limited time).  Cabela's does not sell the Nanook XL runner kit, so I had to order it direct from Clam Outdoors.  FedEx is supposed to deliver it tomorrow.  I'll assemble everything tomorrow after the runner kit gets here.  Life is good!   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2019, 10:50 PM »
Im not sure if Glenns handles what you are looking for or not but im pretty sure there is no shipping or sales tax at least there wasn't last year when I bought my new auger. At least you will be ready when the hard water gets here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.