The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pike leaders  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pike leaders
« on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:15 AM »
Anyone willing to share a photo/essay of how to make some steel leaders?

I was asking earlier in the year who made them and a couple brands I wanted to try.

I'm sure it's pretty simple, but, where to you get the crimps to fit the size leader you buy?

Anybody willing to share?

Offline Dogman-

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Neanderthal
Re: Pike leaders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:20 AM »
You can order them from Cabela's for one,along with the tools and wire as well.
Make sure your brain is running before you put your mouth in gear.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:33 AM »
you n also get them at dicks sporting goods. myself i like the knottable steel . there are a few brands out there but tyger is ,so far, the one i prefer though i havent caught anything heavy enough to truly test it. i cant break it , ive straightened several hooks trying. this year i will try fusing the leader rather than tying looks simple enough and no little extra pcs. to buy

i often add beads and/or spinners to my leaders. sometimes i think they really attract the fish...other days i dont get flags i cant help but wonder, is it the jewelry?the fish wont tell me  :-\

Offline Bassbug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2005, 01:08 PM »
Alright, you asked for it.

Scott covered the knottable steel pretty well but there are a couple of others that you may want to check out

Single strand Stainless
Single strand stainless works nice some times when weight or visibility is an issue.  I will use this when fish are being finicky.  There are no special tools required except some snips.  The spool of wire takes up almost no room in your bag and lets you make leaders as long as you want. 
To connect the wire to the lure use a haywire twist.   Below is and image of the haywire twist

To connect it to your line, mono or braid, use the albright knot this is the same knot that you use to connect your backing to your flyline.  see below

Multistrand stainless w/nylon cover crimped
This is the leader that I use most of the time.  I pre make these before I go out on the ice.  To make these it is very simple.
1.  Select the length of leader that you want allowing room at the ends for the loop and crimps
2.  pass your leader through the crimp sleeve then through the eye in you swivel or hook
3.  pass the the leaderback through the crimp sleeve and crimp it good and test it.  (make sure that you use the right crimp sleeve for the leader that you use,if not the leader is likely to slip out.  Crimp sleeve packages are labeled for the leader that you are using.)

If you choose not to use a swivel to attach to your line you can use the albright knot to attach to your line.

Titanium
Nothing new here with the knots. Albright knot back to the main line.  Now to tie the lure or hook you must tie a simple clinch knot, not the improved.  Titainium is a low memory metal so you can not tie that knot tight but it will hold.  Thats what makes it so strong, it is very kink resistant.  Below is the improved clinch.  DO NOT pass the leader through the second loop.  Test it by pulling on it hard before you cut the tag end so you dont cut it too short
enough is enough

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Hi,
I used American Fishing wire last year while fly fishing for pike and for ice fishing.  It's ok, but kinks up a bit when you tie it.  I have some of the bleeding stuff left over and I'm going to try it this winter, especially with dead bait.  Go to www.cabelas.com and type in American Fishing Wire for more info.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Don't be afraid to stick with your mono / flouro leaders for pike.  I've caught caught probably 15 - 18 over 15 pounds with my splake / brownie set up, (8 lbs. flouro / #4 hook , small bait) only ever losing one big one at the hole.  (more my wife's fault as she was in the "catch" position but got a little nervous when she saw the teeth) We have a few really skilled pike fishermen here in the Belgrades who clean up at the derbies with big pike using two lengths of flouro doubled up and a #2 wide gap hook.  Yes, you may loose a few but you will get more hits, in my opinion.   

Offline Swampbucks1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Fantastic..Exactly what I was look for.

Great responses.  I really appreciate them.  I'm thinkins I may on a couple traps double up some 20Lb power pro..See if that works out ok.

I'm going to try the knottable stuff too.  WE get 5 traps, so, why not experiment.

Offline mike upton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:10 PM »
Bassbug has it.  The improved Clinch knot.  With over 25#, I just use 4 twists.  A drop of superglue, no problems.  Also.  I have never had an issue, or broken off, with flouro.  I have with mono, probably a bigger fish.  Anyway.  I did switch half of the traps we use, 5 of 10, to steel leaders, only because after every other fish at Sabbatus last year we had to put new leaders on because they did cut them up.  So I don't know if they will be sensitive to leaders.  I do know with Flouro we seemed to always get more flags and hookups than those around us.  So what I'm getting at is we will probably have already gotten rid of the steel leaders before we dig the first hold this year.  To get with it though, The Clinch know on our leaders, with our swivel tied wtih a Polamar knot.
Good Luck.
Upton

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:29 PM »
Fantastic..Exactly what I was look for.
  I'm thinkins I may on a couple traps double up some 20Lb power pro..See if that works out ok.

power pro has ice line now  ;)

Offline Niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:22 PM »
couldn't you use some saltwater bite leader with a haywire twist?

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2019, 04:01 PM »
If you work at the institute department during the training process, then the essay will not be difficult to write. It is compiled according to the results of practical actions, and experiments. It will not be difficult to get the help of colleagues and scientists under such conditions. You can create an essay on your own if the topic of the work is known in advance. There is an annual internship at senior courses, which can also be used to collect and prepare the necessary materials. And it’s easier for me to order an essay on the Internet. Do you think I can use this site https://studymoose.com/read-my
What on God's green earth are you talking about, Mr Studymoose? In what conceivable way is your pointyhead answer related to the topic of pike leaders?

The guru on this topic is esox_xtm who is a big fan of single strand and the modified haywire twist. Do not use PowerPro for a pike leader. Chances of success are almost zero.

I'm using single strand titanium this year with a dogbone crimp. Also heavy fluoro in the 60 lb  range with a double sleeve crimp. Both are solid choices and I'll be happy to

jump into any debate on the topic. esox where are you?

PS... Don't go out and buy a bunch of wire, fluoro, crimps and tools until you figure out what you're doing. It'll be easy but you need to do it right.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2019, 05:00 PM »
This guy resurrected a 14 year old thread, stinky, and then typed a bunch of incoherence. I'm not sure what to think, perhaps he'll elaborate. The OP was inquiring about someone creating a tutorial for making leaders so that's maybe the "essay" connection (pun intended).

I was on this early but just stood back to see what would happen. And FWIW, I prefer stranded wire to singlestrand and a "twist tie" to a haywire though a haywire is preferred for singlestrand connections. I know... Details  ;)

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2019, 05:37 PM »
This guy resurrected a 14 year old thread, stinky, and then typed a bunch of incoherence. I'm not sure what to think, perhaps he'll elaborate. The OP was inquiring about someone creating a tutorial for making leaders so that's maybe the "essay" connection (pun intended).

I was on this early but just stood back to see what would happen. And FWIW, I prefer stranded wire to singlestrand and a "twist tie" to a haywire though a haywire is preferred for singlestrand connections. I know... Details  ;)

There you are. Sorry I misrepresented your preferred setup. Couldn't remember the name of the twist tie. and people will surely not recognize the term "twiddlestick" or even

"dogbone" crimp until this thread develops a little more.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2019, 03:49 PM »
What on God's green earth are you talking about, Mr Studymoose? In what conceivable way is your pointyhead answer related to the topic of pike leaders?

The guru on this topic is esox_xtm who is a big fan of single strand and the modified haywire twist. Do not use PowerPro for a pike leader. Chances of success are almost zero.

I'm using single strand titanium this year with a dogbone crimp. Also heavy fluoro in the 60 lb  range with a double sleeve crimp. Both are solid choices and I'll be happy to

jump into any debate on the topic. esox where are you?

PS... Don't go out and buy a bunch of wire, fluoro, crimps and tools until you figure out what you're doing. It'll be easy but you need to do it right.

God I kind of hate saying it but that username was s definitely a bot. Look at the other posts, there all the same.

I wouldn’t click on that link with a ten foot pole. I would assume it’s going to band your laptop with malware/viruses.

Offline Icemanzak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Check out Hookmore Leaders for pike I have heard some great things about both the steel leaders and fluorocarbon leaders they offer. I have seen them at a few shops in Maine as well as online.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2019, 09:02 AM »
I've used just about every type of  wire over the years but had best luck with bites on 20lb seagaur floro. leader material and never been bit off with muskie or pike. if you don't horse them, it works great. check your leader after every fish. if theres any fraying, replace it. some have gotten away with using much lighter.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2019, 10:30 AM »
I’ve used 5lb fluro with some success as a fly leader. Though the smaller ones actually bite through it not readily than the bigger ones  :-\

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2019, 04:45 PM »
I use 50-60# seagar flouro.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2019, 05:38 PM »
I still gotta poo-poo the use of plastic leaders for pike in test under 50#, all due respect to the "lucky guys". My first experiment with fluoro many years ago was Seaguar 25#. Fishing heavy weeds I was cut off three times before I could even get to the flag. Fish in heavy cover can bury and take turns that put enough pressure on plastic to cut leaders easily if they come across teeth. Has virtually nothing to do with horsing or skill. That effectively ended that particular experiment. Open water may be more forgiving.

Done some playing since with some 50 and 60# test but found zero advantage in getting flags. In fact I'm more confident using lighter, more flexible wire over the significantly stiffer fluoro in those more appropriate pound tests. I'm all in for cheap, easy to work with and eminently effective wire.

There are so many other variables to getting flags that I'll never be convinced that plastic is necessary to get flags. Never been significantly outfished fishing with other dedicated plastic users nor have I ever been cut off with wire. Still can't horse 20# wire. I'm playin' the percentages.

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2019, 06:31 PM »
I am in favor of the multistrand nylon coated wire. 27# test is my go to. It's knot able which makes it easy to prepare. it doesn't seem to take a set if you are any bit of careful. It's thin so the bait seems to move naturally.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2019, 06:45 PM »
Another vote for wire. Going to have to take inventory and get some goodies ordered. I haven't found a favorite wire yet they all have advantages and disadvantages.  Coated kinks less but is less flexible and more visible. Uncoated can kink easily but 49 strand uncoated is nearly as limp as braid. I'm comfortable twisting 7 strand but feel 49 needs to be crimped. Add in what pound test is necessary and I could argue with myself all day

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Im a mono user but slowly converting to 7 strand and making my own leaders using esox xtm twisting tool.i rarely get bit off with 20 or 25# mono but pike dont seem to care about the wire so might as well use that and its super easy to twist up.i dont like commercial steel leaders with the clips on them.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2019, 07:46 PM »
I still gotta poo-poo the use of plastic leaders for pike in test under 50#, all due respect to the "lucky guys". My first experiment with fluoro many years ago was Seaguar 25#. Fishing heavy weeds I was cut off three times before I could even get to the flag. Fish in heavy cover can bury and take turns that put enough pressure on plastic to cut leaders easily if they come across teeth. Has virtually nothing to do with horsing or skill. That effectively ended that particular experiment. Open water may be more forgiving.

Done some playing since with some 50 and 60# test but found zero advantage in getting flags. In fact I'm more confident using lighter, more flexible wire over the significantly stiffer fluoro in those more appropriate pound tests. I'm all in for cheap, easy to work with and eminently effective wire.

There are so many other variables to getting flags that I'll never be convinced that plastic is necessary to get flags. Never been significantly outfished fishing with other dedicated plastic users nor have I ever been cut off with wire. Still can't horse 20# wire. I'm playin' the percentages.

So, Mike... if you were shipwrecked alone on an island in the hostile regions of Lake of the Woods and had to survive on Northerns through the ice until the rescue, what would

be your go-to quick strike wire? AFW brand? 1x7? 7x7? 49 strand? S/S? Pound test? Coated, un-coated? Haywire, crimp, or the esox twist? Inline, loop or yoke style? Beads and/or

blades? It's either eat Northerns or roots and lemmings. No fair eating the bait.

Stinky
                                                               Stinky

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2019, 10:48 PM »
So, Mike... if you were shipwrecked alone on an island in the hostile regions of Lake of the Woods and had to survive on Northerns through the ice until the rescue, what would

be your go-to quick strike wire? AFW brand? 1x7? 7x7? 49 strand? S/S? Pound test? Coated, un-coated? Haywire, crimp, or the esox twist? Inline, loop or yoke style? Beads and/or

blades? It's either eat Northerns or roots and lemmings. No fair eating the bait.

Stinky

Survive on pike until I get rescued? Geez! Let me live there forever  ;D

My standard rig has been uncoated 1x7 in 20# test. Give me a 100 yard spool, a big bag of size 6 SPRO Power Swivels and a 100 Eagle Claw L974s in size 10 and I'll catch thousands of pike. I fish beads frequently. Make 'em 6mm in orange, chartreuse and glow. Standard is: orange, glow, orange. Three beads is plenty, sometimes the chartreuse works better.

That dopey twist-tie thing is so simple and has worked so well over the years there's no reason to abandon it. A small, single hook is very stealthy and an extremely effective hooker with baits up to about 6 inches. If all I had was a big box of deads I'd go to #6 of the same hooks and 27~30# wire. Still a fan of the inline Q/S rig. It's a solid deal with fewer failure points than loops or yokes. I also believe that the loops/yokes are less reliable hookers. Besides deads don't have to hang horizontal to catch fish but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

The single hook rig is light enough to present smaller bait for more average fish yet strong enough to ice toothies up to 44" (probably bigger but that's the limit of my experience). Can't hook it to the winch of your truck and crank 'em in but, with a little care, you won't break off big fish and they will not be able to bite you off.

Throw in a cast iron skillet, some butter, salt, pepper and beer while you're at it.  ;D

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:13 AM »
Survive on pike until I get rescued? Geez! Let me live there forever  ;D

My standard rig has been uncoated 1x7 in 20# test. Give me a 100 yard spool, a big bag of size 6 SPRO Power Swivels and a 100 Eagle Claw L974s in size 10 and I'll catch thousands of pike. I fish beads frequently. Make 'em 6mm in orange, chartreuse and glow. Standard is: orange, glow, orange. Three beads is plenty, sometimes the chartreuse works better.

That dopey twist-tie thing is so simple and has worked so well over the years there's no reason to abandon it. A small, single hook is very stealthy and an extremely effective hooker with baits up to about 6 inches. If all I had was a big box of deads I'd go to #6 of the same hooks and 27~30# wire. Still a fan of the inline Q/S rig. It's a solid deal with fewer failure points than loops or yokes. I also believe that the loops/yokes are less reliable hookers. Besides deads don't have to hang horizontal to catch fish but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

The single hook rig is light enough to present smaller bait for more average fish yet strong enough to ice toothies up to 44" (probably bigger but that's the limit of my experience). Can't hook it to the winch of your truck and crank 'em in but, with a little care, you won't break off big fish and they will not be able to bite you off.

Throw in a cast iron skillet, some butter, salt, pepper and beer while you're at it.  ;D

Life becomes just one perpetual shore lunch. Not bad, and sure beats eating roasted lemmings day after day. I've been toying with single strand titanium this Fall in a 30# using

a dog bone crimp to alternate with 40# fluoro, double barrel crimp. All yoke style. The Ti is just too stiff for live bait (waterdogs) and the fluoro carries just that little risk of bite

off. I seem to have a tendency to make things a lot more complicated than they need to be and the search for perfection has led me from the path of wisdom. Next up is the 1x7

in a 20# with the esox twist performed with a twiddlestick I picked up somewhere last year (thanks). I'll stick with my #6 Owner Stinger treble (ouch) and the yoke style until

inspiration leads to the need to buy more tackle.
                                                               Stinky

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 21, 2019, 10:15 AM »
AFW single strand is 30lb or flouro in nothing less than 60lb.  I have lost big pike on 40lb flouro.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.