The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT-Wild Turkey  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
OT-Wild Turkey
« on: Oct 02, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Every turkey season I run into very little hunters out in the woods and my older buddies are always asking me "You really eat that? you don't think its tough?"
I honestly don't understand where this mentality of wild turkeys come from. I go out turkey hunting every season and the birds I have shot and cooked up at home ALL have come out tender and juicy and honestly most of my family cant tell the difference between store bought or wild birds. I guess what I'm asking is how many of you folks out there are turkey hunters? any recipes you'd like to share? I like to cook em simple not much different than I cook a bird on Thanksgiving
I love deer hunting every November but I'm twice the bird hunter than I am deer but anyways Cant wait for ICE!!!!!

Offline rbalkevitch

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: OT-Wild Turkey
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2019, 09:43 PM »
You have a gobbler Hunter here. No special ways of cooking them. Bake, fry or smoke em.  Want way i cook my fish
A wise man once said nothing. Rob~

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2019, 06:16 PM »
I have been considering trying at smoking my next bird, when it comes to fish I prefer mine breaded and fried unless its a trout or salmon I just gut and cook in skillet nothing beats a fresh meal on the ice!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2019, 06:39 PM »
How does cooking a fresh caught trout or salmon on the ice affect your Maine daily bag limit? Just asking.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2019, 08:00 AM »
Skilfisher,  It IS considered part of your daily bag limit.

Kourcha,   With the turkey recipe I usually do a turkey parmesan.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2019, 09:31 AM »
Turkey parmesan sounds great I never really thought of it  may have to try that out one of these days

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2019, 09:45 AM »
Heard that the $5.00 tagging is too high and its cheaper to go to the grocery store and buy one on sale. I suspect Many birds will not get tagged. Another Maine screw up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Cost 2$ to tag a bird but I agree it's kinda feels foolish to tag em

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2019, 10:01 AM »
5 birds this fall is a lot of meat
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2019, 10:12 AM »
Oh yes for sure! My daughter just got her first bird last Saturday and now she's hooked. I can't wait for us to get out tomorrow morning shoot a bird before her soccer game! One thing I hate come November is the hunting pressure in my neck o the woods, the more out there that don't hunt turkey I guess the better for me eh?

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2019, 11:57 AM »
they ''stocked'' them up here from s. maine about 20yrs. ago. we have a season for them now but I've yet to hear of anyone hunting them. almost hit 2 in the road weds. i may have to try to hunt them. i do water fowl , grouse and deer so i have most of the gear. just need to learn how to call. i too heard the only way to eat them is fried but then i also heard ducks and geese were nasty also. ;)

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Just ride around and hunt them like Partridge, when the toms are strutting around a bunch of hens get out, step into the ditch and load up, the hens will disappear and the tom will still strut... wher'd everyone go??? need I say more?

You can also hunt them in the traditional way and call them in, if that's what you want to do. Just saying.  ::)

Nice pics of your daughters and her bird.  Congratulations to her!

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2019, 01:59 PM »
Thanks! Bosshog hit the nail on the head there. We started that morning in a field birds usually frequent two hours into the morning no signs of turkey, so we took a stroll through the woods to an old blueberry field I've shot plenty of birds in and again no sign, she really wanted to get a bird so we hop in the truck and start driving down dirt roads once you see them I suggest don't try to be sneaky just walk up and take the shot

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2019, 05:26 AM »
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing, it works, good luck this morning.

Offline Sixguns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2019, 09:24 AM »
I love both the hunting of and the eating of the wild turkey!
I breast em out, cook up the meat in a crock pot then make em into a delicious turkey pot pie or turn them into hot turkey sammiches.
Hard to beat, the family and I love it.
Sixguns
Sixguns

Offline bouncin_toads

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Fellow beard buster here!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2019, 02:33 PM »
Kourcha, congrats to you and your daughter, it doesn't get much better than that!  ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2019, 09:35 AM »
Thanks Bart! Nice to see some turkey hunters out there now if only I can make the time to get out 🤪

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2019, 08:55 AM »
Just ride around and hunt them like Partridge, when the toms are strutting around a bunch of hens get out, step into the ditch and load up, the hens will disappear and the tom will still strut... wher'd everyone go??? need I say more?

You can also hunt them in the traditional way and call them in, if that's what you want to do. Just saying.  ::)

Nice pics of your daughters and her bird.  Congratulations to her!
something to look forward to next may. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.