The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: RIDGID OCTANE 1300 IN/LB HAMMER DRILL. OVERLOAD PROTECTION TEST. 32" OF ICE  (Read 5440 times)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
So I finally pushed the Octane to see how it does in deep ice. Have to say I'm more than impressed.

Overload protection test. 32" of ice. How many holes till the drill cuts out??

Link to the footage:
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Good video. I still can’t get over how fast that thing cuts thru that much ice.

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cool, surprised you made another video though

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good video. I still can’t get over how fast that thing cuts thru that much ice.
It surprises me as well
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cool, surprised you made another video though
I’ve never pushed this drill to the point where the overload protection kicks in. It’s a hot topic with cordless drill on the ice. Otherwise I wouldn’t have made another one

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice job on the video. It's making a believer outta me. But, I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of the lead weight jiffy 30 or my propane jiffy. Maybe someday though  :tipup:
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That's a great video .I have the same drill. But with a k drill . Looks like you have it pushing a Nils??

Offline Shockwave

• IceShanty Rookie
Great video! I know my brother is interested in getting something Similar.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice job on the video. It's making a believer outta me. But, I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of the lead weight jiffy 30 or my propane jiffy. Maybe someday though  :tipup:
I hear ya. It’s a big move. Took me 4 years. Picked up my Nils 4 years ago. The Octane at the beginning of the season. I used my 10” Strikemaster once this season and couldn’t believe how much I disliked carrying it compared to my Cordless set up.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That's a great video .I have the same drill. But with a k drill . Looks like you have it pushing a Nils??
Yup. Nils 8” Trekker

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great video! I know my brother is interested in getting something Similar.
Thanks. Wish I would have switched a long time ago

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I haven't used my octane / finbore combo since early ice but plan on bringing it back out for a try at this 30" of ice.

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the 12 volt augers that can run off of a snowmachine or wheeler battery?

I have one of the new lithium ion battery booster packs that is smaller than a small  shoe box and will start a v-8 a bunch of times before it needs to be recharged and it can be recharged in a cigarette lighter outlet.

95% of the time it would be run off of a machine but could be plugged into the battery pack

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the 12 volt augers that can run off of a snowmachine or wheeler battery?

I have one of the new lithium ion battery booster packs that is smaller than a small  shoe box and will start a v-8 a bunch of times before it needs to be recharged and it can be recharged in a cigarette lighter outlet.

95% of the time it would be run off of a machine but could be plugged into the battery pack

I think it was sawyerjosh that had that setup on here a few years back but don't quote me.

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
Love your vids. Made me want to switch  from my ion to one of those.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks. Wish I would have switched a long time ago
Love your vids. Made me want to switch  from my ion to one of those.

I geared up for this sport back 2013/14, and started myself off with a 7” lazer and a clam plate with m18 drill (725in/lb). I’ve yet to have it fail on me in the last 5 seasons. I can’t imagine lugging around a gas auger and dealing with all the gas and maintenance that goes with it.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Love your vids. Made me want to CThanks switch  from my ion to one of those.
I’ve never used an ion, but I had a guy next to me with one and it was painfully slow. I could almost do 2 to his one

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I geared up for this sport back 2013/14, and started myself off with a 7” lazer and a clam plate with m18 drill (725in/lb). I’ve yet to have it fail on me in the last 5 seasons. I can’t imagine lugging around a gas auger and dealing with all the gas and maintenance that goes with it.
Agreed. The one time I used my gas auger this year was enough. Andy Strikemaster only clocks in around 27 lbs, lighter than my old Jiffy which was prob 33-34lbs.

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular

Line - I have the Jiffy Stealth - 10".  It slices through ice like nothing however it became a bit much lugging around to drill 20+ holes when fishing with multiple people.  Switched over to the Nils Artic Trekker and immediately fell in love - light, portable and cuts like a dream.  Though I don't mind cutting by hand, I decided to try the drill out and that Ridgid combo is a dream. 

Pike - did Ridgid extend the warranty on your charger and battery?  I got confirmation on the drill but for some reason they are not confirming lifetime warranty on the charger and battery.   A bit disappointing, on my list to call them. 

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pike - did Ridgid extend the warranty on your charger and battery?  I got confirmation on the drill but for some reason they are not confirming lifetime warranty on the charger and battery.   A bit disappointing, on my list to call them.

Mine went through the same times a my drill. I did have to re enter my battery numbers a few times tho. They weren’t as clear as the drill was

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mine went through the same times a my drill. I did have to re enter my battery numbers a few times tho. They weren’t as clear as the drill was

Pike and others - just as an FYI, the registration of my battery and charger did not complete online.   I called Customer Service and the feedback I'm receiving directly from Ridgid is that the battery and charger is considered an accessory and therefore not eligible for the lifetime service agreement.   They will only honor this if it all came in one kit.  If you're banking on Ridgid standing behind this product with a lifetime guarantee for the purchase, purchase elsewhere.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I returned my Rigid to Home depot for full refund. and bought a Milwaukee fuel brushless  with M18 batteries it worked well tru 30+ inches of ice. My 8 " k drill got forced tru too much slush and 5 of the fins which are plastic were stripped  I have them on order for 5,95 each  .I think I am very satisfied  with its performance . The first two drills a Delta and a Rigid  just did not have guts enough to drill tru ice. Just make sure that any one drilling lift out slush every foot so the plastic fins do not get overloaded. The drill cut very nice  its lighter and no need to carry oil and gas. Hope for a better winter next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SilverSides

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing is better than any day at work!
I returned my Rigid to Home depot for full refund. and bought a Milwaukee fuel brushless  with M18 batteries it worked well tru 30+ inches of ice. My 8 " k drill got forced tru too much slush and 5 of the fins which are plastic were stripped  I have them on order for 5,95 each  .I think I am very satisfied  with its performance . The first two drills a Delta and a Rigid  just did not have guts enough to drill tru ice. Just make sure that any one drilling lift out slush every foot so the plastic fins do not get overloaded. The drill cut very nice  its lighter and no need to carry oil and gas. Hope for a better winter next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very poor design on the K-drill fins. Eskimo pistol bit is a much better design. No problems at all with snow/slush, and you get 8 full inches of cut.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Pike and others - just as an FYI, the registration of my battery and charger did not complete online.   I called Customer Service and the feedback I'm receiving directly from Ridgid is that the battery and charger is considered an accessory and therefore not eligible for the lifetime service agreement.   They will only honor this if it all came in one kit.  If you're banking on Ridgid standing behind this product with a lifetime guarantee for the purchase, purchase elsewhere.

unfortunately you found a customer service rep who does not know their job. any thing sold in kit form does qualify for lsa. if it were me, i would call a manager and demand that the lsa be activated even tho it's past the 90 days. explain what was said to you by their staff and you just found out the individual was an incompetent service rep.

here it is on hd web site. notice the word KIT in the link i provided.

*Lifetime Service Agreement with registration within 90 days of purchase

*Includes: (1) 18-Volt OCTANE 9.0 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery, (1) 18-Volt Charger, and operator's manual

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-9-0-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-and-Charger-Kit-AC801/304740781

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.