Author Topic: monster pike not moving?  (Read 3604 times)

NH ice 121

monster pike not moving?
« on: Feb 10, 2004, 12:42 PM »
I have been fishing a small pond now filled with huge pike all winter and have been having great luck.  The past two weeks have been very slow and i am wondering why this is?   Could it be a lack of oxygen?  The depth in the pond is 12' at its deepest and i fish near there.

Thanks,

P.S.  Anyone find results posted for the winni derby?

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re: monster pike not moving?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2004, 12:48 PM »
Lots of varibles could be the factor...Weather temperature oxy levels etc etc...Pike go where its food is ..Think like its food to find the pike.....ALso go bigger with your bait...OR lures see what happens there..good luck and tight lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2004, 01:23 PM »
how much snow cover and is there lots of vegetation in the pond??? if snow cover is light, then it shouldn't be a lack of oxygen, just a slowdown in metabolism with the colder weather. what are you fishing with?? grumpymoe

NH ice 121

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2004, 10:11 PM »
Thanks for the responses..........the re has been heavy snow lately......good vegetation in the pond.  I use big shiners in varying depths, most off bottom though.  between 7 and 10 feet of water.  Are the pike moving even shallower?  Maybe its just slow right now.....

Thanks

:'( :'( :'(

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2004, 11:34 AM »
i dont think they will move shallower. the deeper water holds more oxygen. i'll share this hot tip. i fish with live minnows (chubs) and alot of times i get minnow action and nothing else. i can't count the large numbers of strikes i've had by down tipping the rod tip about 5-6". my theory is that the fish are passive, and the sudden movement makes the fish think that the bait is diving for cover (weeds). give it a try and post your results... lol grumpymoe

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2004, 02:05 PM »
Two words, iceshanty tourny.  after the tourny it should pick up again ;D :P

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2004, 05:23 PM »
I'm quite sure the monster pike are moving right now. I think they're moving out of every area i get ready to fish and then they move back in as soon as I leave. I think I'm doomed to catch limits of small fish nearly every time out this year. Thank God for lots of good friendly other folks on the ice to co-miserate with. Still, would rather deal with small or even no fish than be stuck at work!   :'(

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2004, 07:16 AM »
Ok besides perch Germ catches alot of pike...but not consistant at catching BIg pike i usualy get from 5-12 pounds. quite easily. ALot of times ill fish them till after dark and Just only 2 hours after sunrise.Ill take the biggest minnow i can usually 5-8 inches and drop him down the hole fishing in about 8-10 feet of water about a foot over the weedbed. Now here is the Real secret and please dont let other guys know about this or tell your friends most importantly dont let this secrect escape as it pollutes the water. I take another line as im allowed 2 Then i take a piece of Chirstmas garland Silver about a foot long.snake it around the fishing line and make sure its secure.Only have a dead wight on the end or bell sinker as with this one your using it for attetnion ( if you have some red garland intwine it but let more Silver then red. I just use SIlver. Anyhow this sounds like the dumbest thing but because its twirled around your line then drop it up and down. Not hitting the weed bed line. Do this fast to attract attention. Then when you do that for like 10-30 secs pull you line up and  wait a couple secs and Jerk your Bait minnow a few times every min.. The reason i started doing this is to imitake Minnow schools to attract the pike at a distance.. I owuld have done other colors to imitake PErch schools but they swim Lower then pike Minnows swim higher so i imitate Minnows.,This is probably the dumbest thing you have ever heard...But i catch fish. If need be i can dig up antoerh garland and show ya.. My las t one is toast. DUmb but works! These are just decoys to lure Pike to your bait! Keep your bait about 4 feet away from the schools but be prepared for hits moments after your jigging of Garland..
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

NH ice 121

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2004, 10:12 AM »
All i can say is WOW......very inovative.  Brilliant actually. LOL.  So do you use large garland or what size?  And you rap it around the line so its tight? 

Im impressed.

Thanks for the tip and keep them coming :'( :'( :'(

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:22 PM »
I use GArland ANd wrapped tight. Iv'e also used other christmas type silver looks ior decoration. LOl i mena sounds stupid but the other one i used which actually worked great but broke after 2 weeks. ITs weight with water while pulling couldnt support itself by what it was made of.. ANyhow what ever i could use to get big enough of shimmer so the pike could see it at the furthest ditance. I have had friends laugh at me on the ice when they see me bring out the Garland..But not so much when they see im getting the pike. I was thinking of DOing a lil videao of tips of tricks and this one WIll be on it. My friends supposed to come out with me and film. If i do ill make a web addy and post it. Anyhow Basically anything you can use to let Pike see the flash at a Distance to simulate Minnows in panic is great. SOunds dumb but try it (do it without your friends around at first as you will be less likly to keep doing it if they are laughing) Anyhow after you get results post to me please i like to hear the responses of the actions. Remember if the pike is in the area already DOnt drop the garland back down..Its to attract but if you drop while they are close (ie they hit ur minnow but you didnt set right)  Then it scares them away. After awhile you'll know when to drop and when to not. good luck and tight lines and never be afraid to try something  new it never hurts to think outside  of the box. Tight lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.