New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413255 times)

Offline dbaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1890 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Does anyone have an ice report for the lake?

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1891 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:52 AM »
Does anyone have an ice report for the lake?
look up 4 posts above yours

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1892 on: Feb 29, 2016, 10:04 AM »
WOW is all I can say. I would like to see a copy of them survey results. I find it hard to believe.
This past fall the DEC found YOY walleye in their trawl nets.  First time since 1998 that YOY walleye have been detected, and apparently they found a LOT of them.

This means population levels are at the point that is supporting natural reproduction.  This then triggers the limit changes.

Thanks

Rich Davenport - aka doctariAFC (or doctariAFC2, now)

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1893 on: Feb 29, 2016, 10:10 AM »
What has caused the perch to ruin the lake? Because there are so many of them? What could we as fisherman do to help?
The perch haven't "ruined" the lake.  If you know where to fish, you can catch quite a decent number of sizable fish.

As best as can be surmised, the collapse of the walleye fishery back in the late 1990's/ early 2000's was the cause for perch to start growing larger/ getting to larger sizes.  Large walleye prey upon large perch.  When the large walleye numbers plummeted, and recruitment was stifled by white perch (invasive that is well known to chow down on walleye eggs), the larger perch were effectively free to breed, and breed they have.  Now, when you look at the lake's populations, the white perch is down significantly - most likely due to the yellow perch feasting on white perch eggs.

Yes, there are a lot of YP that are tiny in the lake, but they are not stunted.  Over time, what the smaller predators do not eat, more large perch will be seen (DEC trawl surveys are pulling some eye-popping perch, especially over the past three years).  This will fluctuate as walleye grow in size, and there are many walleye in the lake again, thanks to stocking, and yellow perch munching on white perch eggs.

But to say the lake is "ruined" kinda seems like you haven't been fishing that lake for any good number of years (as an example I have been fishing that lake for 44 years now)

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1894 on: Feb 29, 2016, 10:12 AM »
Been busy writing a documentary about himself.
Been a while Hijinks, how ya been?

Too busy with deer management issues to write my autobiography  ;)

Oh, the mandatory antler restriction thingy that has been being pushed upon the NY Hunters?  That is now dead for at least the next 5 years. 

You're welcome  ;)

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1895 on: Feb 29, 2016, 10:22 AM »
Rumor is hes ALIVE and doing WELL. GREAT to see Doc and Dtrain. It's been a few years since we met up and hammered on some Chautauqua perch. Got enough piggies to possibly head back up next weekend. STELLAR 12+ incher :bow: :bow:

Great to see you again, too DBalm.  Hoping the ice holds for one more shot - lookin like Sunday for me, as I have the Federation Banquet on Saturday...

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1896 on: Feb 29, 2016, 11:15 AM »
Doc, Thanks again for getting me and my father out sat! Tell Dane nice Fish! See you at the AFC meeting tues.

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1897 on: Feb 29, 2016, 12:30 PM »
Doc, Thanks again for getting me and my father out sat! Tell Dane nice Fish! See you at the AFC meeting tues.

No probemo Mikey!  Glad you got into some good ones Saturday.  See ya Tuesday, and perhaps with a little luck, we may get out one more time on them pigs...  So long as the ice doesn't honeycomb too badly...

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #1898 on: Feb 29, 2016, 02:21 PM »
How's the ice?
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline upcreeknoyoars

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't set the hook, till you know he's on.
« Reply #1899 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:11 PM »
How's the ice?

How to Spot a Sociopath:  Always starving for attention, Untruthfulness and insincerity, Lack of remorse, guilt, or shame, Superficial charm, Lack of insight, complete disregard for rules, lie constantly, Never learn from punishments, Simple lack of conscious, Egocentricity, Lack of impulse control, Great boasting, Inability to resist temptation, Knows what they're doing is wrong, but simply doesn't care,  Always in need of stimulation.
Give'm line, there is no way it’s getting out of this lake.

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1900 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:26 PM »
How's the ice?
Yesterday we had over 8" under us in the AM.  By 2PM the surface was getting a little soft, and the shore was deteriorating rapidly.  Looked like the top couple inches was honeycombed pretty badly, but from there looked pretty good.  God only knows what happened between when we got off the ice and now.  I see on the Burtis cam the Chadakoin is opening up pretty good.  Not good.

If the ice didn't get beat up super bad (at least we had no rain) we may be ok for one more run this weekend, but I see some rain coming this week down there which could end it.

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1901 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:28 PM »
How to Spot a Sociopath:  Always starving for attention, Untruthfulness and insincerity, Lack of remorse, guilt, or shame, Superficial charm, Lack of insight, complete disregard for rules, lie constantly, Never learn from punishments, Simple lack of conscious, Egocentricity, Lack of impulse control, Great boasting, Inability to resist temptation, Knows what they're doing is wrong, but simply doesn't care,  Always in need of stimulation.
Oh come on, cut Hijinks some slack....  Any user that has the ballz to use the Dynamite Kid as his avatar can't be all bad!

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #1902 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:41 PM »

That's exactly how Christian Michael Longo aka "shortstop" was described.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1903 on: Feb 29, 2016, 03:51 PM »
Yesterday we had over 8" under us in the AM.  By 2PM the surface was getting a little soft, and the shore was deteriorating rapidly.  Looked like the top couple inches was honeycombed pretty badly, but from there looked pretty good.  God only knows what happened between when we got off the ice and now.  I see on the Burtis cam the Chadakoin is opening up pretty good.  Not good.

If the ice didn't get beat up super bad (at least we had no rain) we may be ok for one more run this weekend, but I see some rain coming this week down there which could end it.

Thank you for your swift attention to this matter.  Please inform upcreekyours that in order to be respected on this site, you need more than 14 posts.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #1904 on: Feb 29, 2016, 05:07 PM »
good to see ya Doc on here! what happened to grizzly garys  hunting and fishing?

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1905 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:44 PM »
The Doc is back and dropping some serious knowledge!   Probably also trying to build up enough posts to get on the reports/conditions page with this new account too!
Either way I'm glad to see him back.  The old lake is challenging for sure in terms of success in catching anything but small perch.  By no means ruined...Especially if you're willing to take advantage of the multiple species that live there.  Despite the dink perch and the hungry Amish it continues to be a productive fishery for those that put the time in and learn from every outing.
It's great to hear about young-of-the-year (aka yoy) in the DEC surveys but I would personally be fine with keeping the limit where it is or even moving to a 4 fish 15-24" slot.  I feel like the lake is close to a good balance in terms of the fish food chain right now. 
Not sure if anyone's seen these guys out there or maybe THEY are on here.  Their latest video is a good example of a typical day on the ice this year.

130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1906 on: Mar 01, 2016, 07:22 AM »
That was a great video thanks for posting. Hoping to get one last weekend in.  Goodluck and be safe out there.        Mark

Offline smj8322

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1907 on: Mar 01, 2016, 12:40 PM »
Just an FYI... Chautauqua is on page 5

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2800.pdf

FrankM

« Reply #1908 on: Mar 01, 2016, 01:11 PM »

Offline fellinonce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1909 on: Mar 01, 2016, 01:20 PM »
That's for Lake Erie, in Chautauqua county
Tap, Tap,.. Cross his eyes!

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1910 on: Mar 01, 2016, 03:50 PM »
good to see ya Doc on here! what happened to grizzly garys  hunting and fishing?
Methinks they got hacked...

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #1911 on: Mar 01, 2016, 03:54 PM »
All done. Radio show is gone too..

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #1912 on: Mar 01, 2016, 04:11 PM »
All done. Radio show is gone too..

Trav .. You can come fish with us ! We've got a spot for you .. !!
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
« Reply #1913 on: Mar 01, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Jim shoot me a text had to get a new phone heard you guys had a blast sunday
ice fishing for life

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1914 on: Mar 02, 2016, 02:45 AM »
Doctari nice to see you back!

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1915 on: Mar 02, 2016, 05:51 AM »
Having Doctari back in our iceshanty forum lives is like having a heat rash and jogging in thermals from 1973 on a humid 90 degree day.

Offline spindiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1916 on: Mar 02, 2016, 06:00 AM »
is ashville canals open would love to here from alocal pm me please with any info smith boys?

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1917 on: Mar 02, 2016, 06:13 AM »
is ashville canals open would love to here from alocal pm me please with any info smith boys?
When I went by Sunday pm it was completely iced over so I would doubt it. Maybe one of the locals could tell you for sure tho

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #1918 on: Mar 02, 2016, 06:38 AM »
Watching and waiting. Still covered as of this am.

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1919 on: Mar 02, 2016, 07:00 AM »
Thank you for your swift attention to this matter.  Please inform upcreekyours that in order to be respected on this site, you need more than 14 posts.
Will do, as soon as I hit 15 posts with this new account :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.