New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413458 times)

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1860 on: Feb 23, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Yep I went and just fatheads, got some anyway as I didn't wanna keep driving for bait. Got a bunch of perch out of long point on them, whole and heads

Offline trouts

• IceShanty Rookie
  • crappibass crappibass where are you?
« Reply #1861 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:00 PM »
Dont pay $7 for a scoop of minnows. The perch are the same size and eat anything throughout the lake. You could put a piece of lunchmeat turkey and catch the same 6-9 inch perch same as a shiner. Have done it before. It doesn't matter where you are or what you use. The lake has been ruined by these perch. Keep as many as you can please. Throw them in the garden/trash or give them to an amish.

Offline Pikeplower32

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walkin-On-Water
« Reply #1862 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:33 PM »
Had a good evening at long point. Caught a lot of perch. Only kept 7 of them and they were all over 11 inches (and I measured them!) I had fatheads but the perch preferred perch eyes. Also caught a dandy walleye right before dark. Fished 30-33 fow. Ice was 6 inches and the surface was very slick. Please remember to clean up your trash!

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1863 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:56 PM »
True. Can catch the perch there practically with bare hooks. I tried up sizing to a 2" pimple and the dinks still hit it!

Offline Bbrown24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1864 on: Feb 25, 2016, 07:49 AM »
Dont pay $7 for a scoop of minnows. The perch are the same size and eat anything throughout the lake. You could put a piece of lunchmeat turkey and catch the same 6-9 inch perch same as a shiner. Have done it before. It doesn't matter where you are or what you use. The lake has been ruined by these perch. Keep as many as you can please. Throw them in the garden/trash or give them to an amish.

What has caused the perch to ruin the lake? Because there are so many of them? What could we as fisherman do to help?
Empire State Fishing

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1865 on: Feb 25, 2016, 10:11 AM »
What has caused the perch to ruin the lake? Because there are so many of them? What could we as fisherman do to help?
  Chautauqua is far from ruined. This year i've caught bigger perch than i've ever seen come out of this lake. Yes there are 11'' and 12'' perch in Chautauqua. I'ts definatly makeing a comeback.

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1866 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:13 AM »
now if we can get rid of those silver bass/white perch!i used to fish there a lot at night in open water and used to be able to catch my share of eyes with 2 dozen worms and it got so bad I had to bring 8 to10 dozen!!!!

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1867 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:25 AM »
anyword how the ice held up in mayville and how the shore ice is ?    with all the rain and warm temps

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1868 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:27 AM »
I'm hoping to make the trip down Sunday, also curious how the ice is holding up, thank you!

Offline H20chrome

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1869 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:39 AM »
there was a HUGE white perch die off 2-3 years ago in the spring, i'm talking thousands of dead fish and it was weird only white perch were the ones that died. i was in bemus bay and saw them in other parts of the lake also. anyone know what caused this maybe dec? or just water temp? im glad those are goners tho thinned out alot of them

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1870 on: Feb 25, 2016, 12:58 PM »
there was some type of virus a few summers ago that killed off a lot of carp.  They were washing up on the shoreline at the cottage in Bellevue bay.  It was so bad the dump had a big trench dug for people to come drop them and then they buried them. They smelled horrible.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #1871 on: Feb 25, 2016, 05:06 PM »
I'm hoping to make the trip down Sunday, also curious how the ice is holding up, thank you!

I wouldn't count on it. Took a ride around this am and didn't find one place I'd feel comfortable walking on. Every where their was a previous hole or pressure crack was open water. Some spots as large as a pickup truck. Moral of the story "The fat lady is hitting the high notes.

Just my observation and opinion.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1872 on: Feb 26, 2016, 10:34 PM »
I wouldn't count on it. Took a ride around this am and didn't find one place I'd feel comfortable walking on. Every where their was a previous hole or pressure crack was open water. Some spots as large as a pickup truck. Moral of the story "The fat lady is hitting the high notes.

What a lot of you people don't realize is the weather conditions that we had this week have made very dangerous spots out there on the lake.  After last weekend and through Tuesdays the ice was melting and the water was running down old holes and pressure cracks wearing away at the ice.  Those holes on Tuesday were large enough for a person to fall completely through, see previous posts for the week.  Then Wednesday and Thursday night we had temps in teens that skimmed over these bad spots but not good enough to hold a man.  That is what Game Hog refers to. Then to make things worst Friday snow covered all these spots.    I have ice fished for over 50 years and have my shares of fall-ins, so I know what I am talking about.  Avoid the areas with the reported bad spots and if you must go as I am, use a spud ahead of every step.

Offline wnyicepro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1873 on: Feb 27, 2016, 09:38 AM »
Wish I could get out but don't feel like taking the family out if not 100% safe....so, now I'm getting the boat ready

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #1874 on: Feb 27, 2016, 05:35 PM »
                                                   "Perch Question for the Chautauqua Lake Regulars" !!!

Have the Perch in the lake, made it to point now, where they run 9" - 10" on a somewhat regular basis? ... a brief honest comment will do just fine - thanks in advance !!

Note: this question is prompted by the unusually high amount of 10"+Perch, being posted on the "Conditions Thread" this year.
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1875 on: Feb 27, 2016, 05:53 PM »
All times I've been out this year, mostly long point have been majority 8s with some 9s and very rare 10 .

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1876 on: Feb 27, 2016, 09:47 PM »
I was out late this evening fishing in 7 FOW and caught a half dozen perch that measured a tad under and over 10". I wasn't targeting them and once the sun went down they quit messing with my tip downs and deadstick. I measured 6 inches of ice in the south end of the lake.

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1877 on: Feb 27, 2016, 10:23 PM »
Last sunday i went home with 30 perch between 9 and 10 inches. But alot if 7 inchers inbetween.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #1878 on: Feb 28, 2016, 06:06 AM »
                                                   "Perch Question for the Chautauqua Lake Regulars" !!!

Have the Perch in the lake, made it to point now, where they run 9" - 10" on a somewhat regular basis? ... a brief honest comment will do just fine - thanks in advance !!

Note: this question is prompted by the unusually high amount of 10"+Perch, being posted on the "Conditions Thread" this year.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1879 on: Feb 28, 2016, 03:52 PM »
Heard there's still guys fishing I'm surprised but that's good lol

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1880 on: Feb 28, 2016, 06:33 PM »
I have fished Chautauqua for years and here is my perch report without stretching the truth.   As an example: this past Sat. I brought home 22 perch and caught 100-150, the bite was a little slow.   The 22 were (4) 10"-10-1/2", (8) 9"-9-3/4", (10) 8"-8-3/4".  I measured them prior to cleaning after reading "c-biskets" post.  I keep nothing under 8", got measuring marks on the tubes in my hut.  I have been on this lake enough to know the last few years, this is what you catch.  I  have caught an occasional 11" and 12" perch on other days this year but only an occasional.  Someone who reports bringing home a large quantity of 10"-11" perch, I really don't know how.  I know my reports to be true and accurate.  Have a good day of fishing.

Offline dbaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1881 on: Feb 28, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Is there any chance that Bell Tower will be fishable next weekend. I see the weather is going to get cold again mid week. I want to fish Friday and Sunday but here to make the 2 hr drive if i cant fish.

Offline dtrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1882 on: Feb 28, 2016, 07:08 PM »
Ran into a guy in the maple springs area. Looked a lot like the ole doctari????? Showed me a pail of slobs. One was huge. Looked like Erie perch me....

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1883 on: Feb 28, 2016, 10:44 PM »
Ran into a guy in the maple springs area. Looked a lot like the ole doctari????? Showed me a pail of slobs. One was huge. Looked like Erie perch me....

Were you lucky enough to catch any slobs in that area?

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1884 on: Feb 28, 2016, 11:14 PM »
I'd like to be out there once more but im thinking I'll wait and next time will be in the boat

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1885 on: Feb 29, 2016, 12:43 AM »
Whatever happened to Doctari? I remember he had some great posts.

Offline doctariAFC2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1886 on: Feb 29, 2016, 07:56 AM »
Been lurkin'  :)

Ice has been pretty good this year off Maple Springs this year, although I think I heard the fat lady warming up yesterday.

We have been doing very well on yellow perch in 42 FOW - a "new" spot for me, closer walk than off the creek. 

Whopper-doodles is what we have been on.  Many 10's and 11's this year.  But DTrain yesterday caught the "unicorn", a 12 1/4" monster.

Ice was 8", but not super quality out there yesterday.  Winds kicked us off the lake by 2:15PM.  Shore was going to pot, and fast. 

Lots of perch, but if you didn't get right to the bottom, your day was filled with 6" pesky pukes...  Bottom?  Whopper-doodles on!

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1887 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:46 AM »
Rumor is hes ALIVE and doing WELL. GREAT to see Doc and Dtrain. It's been a few years since we met up and hammered on some Chautauqua perch. Got enough piggies to possibly head back up next weekend. STELLAR 12+ incher :bow: :bow:

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1888 on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:53 AM »
How many guys get into the perch after ice out? This is my first year with a boat that's reasonable to pull down and am wondering if there usually in the same areas or what?

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #1889 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:05 AM »

Been busy writing a documentary about himself.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.