New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413290 times)

Offline buffalo bob

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1050 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Best spot on the lake i found for bait is Hogan's Hut. Get to know and talk to Skip and he will put you on fish. Very knowledgeable.

Offline fishin716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1051 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Probably heading down to Chautauqua Fri morn anybody else going out?

Offline eafd30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1052 on: Feb 04, 2014, 03:21 PM »
I Am Headed Out Sunday For The DA...Mayville Or Long point

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #1053 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:22 PM »
I think i may try for eyes again this monday!

Offline seanile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1054 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:24 AM »
I posted a 2 1/2 acre lot that I have for sale across from Long Point State Park with lake rights and a great lake view.If interested , check out the For Sale ad on Ice Shanty.

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1055 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:41 AM »
I meant to post this on Monday. Did anyone notice on Saturday the large octagon holes someone cut into the ice. It looked like someone put a hut up and cut two holes about 3ft by 2ft. If they were covered with snow on Saturday and someone wasn't paying attention they would of gone thru the ice.
Am I wrong or is that a little overboard as far cutting a fising hole. Game Hog spotted them first thank god.....
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #1056 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:53 AM »
That's def too big of a hole.  Some people don't think before they do things.  ???
-Chris

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #1057 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Good thing eyes were open going out. Would not have seen them if it were like this am. Snow is deep.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1058 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:03 AM »
I meant to post this on Monday. Did anyone notice on Saturday the large octagon holes someone cut into the ice. It looked like someone put a hut up and cut two holes about 3ft by 2ft. If they were covered with snow on Saturday and someone wasn't paying attention they would of gone thru the ice.
Am I wrong or is that a little overboard as far cutting a fising hole. Game Hog spotted them first thank god.....
Where on the lake were those big holes cut? Mayville? Were they near the path walking out? Just wanted to make sure so I know where to avoid.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1059 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Mayville. Out from parking lot across from kwickfill. I'd sat 150 yds out. Should be solid by now

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #1060 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:49 AM »
When I fished Mayville for the tournament there was a guy cutting his holes with chain saw haven't see that in many years be safe always have to watch for holes
Just enjoying life

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1061 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Thanks Game Hog. I'm heading there this Saturday. Hopefully there will be no fresh ones cut by then.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1062 on: Feb 06, 2014, 02:48 PM »
They were straight out from Kwik Fill. Right in the middle of the usual group.
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1063 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:20 PM »
I think it was Aaron Wiebe.  He's one of my personal hero but he has been known to cut rectangular holes in the ice and fish through them lately.

I'm all for cutting any size hole in the ice and fishing through them.  I think it would be a good idea to build a little mound around them to mark them.  In this weather they will lock up overnight and Grizzly Gary could do Hot Yoga on the same spot in the morning and stay dry!
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #1064 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:49 AM »
I don't think a small mound would be a good idea. A young child may be drawn to the mound out of curiosity . No need for any hole bigger than 7-8inches . With these temps, lets hope it has refroze overnight, and not drifted over before freezing.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1065 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Plenty of sleds out to pack some of the snow down making the drag a bit easier. Next weekend is the winter feet in mayville. That end of the lake will be a zoo. Everyone be safe out there. Sat night they will be having fireworks. Neat to watch from the ice.

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1066 on: Feb 07, 2014, 09:52 AM »
I am going out early tomorrow to try for some walleye.  I haven't fished for them through the ice at Chautauqua.  I have ice fished the lake for 20+ years and I am ready to try something different.  I think I have a good location scoped out with the help of another IS member.  I am not looking for any locations, but does anyone have any advice on presentation?  My first thoughts are jigging raps with a minow head.  Might also try pimples and buckshot spoons.  Do guys get them jigging or deadsticking?  Any info greatly appreciated!     
-Chris

Offline zebj25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1067 on: Feb 07, 2014, 11:18 AM »
I am going out early tomorrow to try for some walleye.  I haven't fished for them through the ice at Chautauqua.  I have ice fished the lake for 20+ years and I am ready to try something different.  I think I have a good location scoped out with the help of another IS member.  I am not looking for any locations, but does anyone have any advice on presentation?  My first thoughts are jigging raps with a minow head.  Might also try pimples and buckshot spoons.  Do guys get them jigging or deadsticking?  Any info greatly appreciated!   

I dont know what the usual presentation is, but I caught 2 so far.  Off Mayville, 9 fow.  The first was a small pimple and a minnow, the second was a small jig with a wax worm.  Maybe they were just hungry that day.

Offline stickbow70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1068 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Been picking em up on Rapalas. Haven't tipped with anything but maybe I'd be doing better if I did. Been jigging but some have been picking them up deadstickin'. Personal preferance I guess.
C'mon, share some info. I do.

Offline papaeden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1069 on: Feb 08, 2014, 01:32 PM »
I'm trying to find out were the aquarium is ??????? I think it is down near the viking club but not sure. any help would be appreciated  best place to go of to get there and if it's walkable

Offline Perch master 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1070 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:20 AM »
I'm going out to Chautauqua today I send report. Might go to long point.

Offline Perch master 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1071 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:32 PM »
Went to mayville fished from 7:30-2:00. Caught about 120 small fish no keepers. About 12" of ice. Lots of sleds out today. Good luck.

Offline kawasakikvf650

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1072 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:09 AM »
We also fished on Sunday and only small fish but lots of them. Good ice  12+"  tons of people out.

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1073 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:39 AM »
Just an update, I am not withholding any info, but I ended up fishing Lake erie Saturday instead of trying for some eyes on Chautauqua.  I may be going out tomorrow evening for some crappie, either Mayville or Burtis haven't decided yet.   
-Chris

Offline catfish hunter09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1074 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Also trying to get the crappie bite tomorrow night. gunna try minnows and see what happens. POSTLETOWN i will probably see you there since there hasnt been many people waiting for the night bite. Crappie time baby

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1075 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:07 AM »
I'll look for ya Catfish!
-Chris

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1076 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:22 PM »
Heading down thursday. Does anyone know if it would be a good idea to bring the wheeler? loking to go out of dewitville. Anyone know if there are machines going out there or is the snow pretty bad? Don't want to bring it if i can't use it.

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1077 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Didn`t see any atv`s lot`s of snowmobiles. Around 10 inches of snow one ice.  The aquarium is Maple Springs. It`s between Long Point, and Midway park. Not sure on access at mineral springs. You can get there from the other 2 spots.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1078 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:10 AM »
can get to the aquarium from prendergast point fairly easily also.

Offline gonzo67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1079 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:18 PM »
As far as hole size cut into ice , there used to be a state dec law for size limit but haven't seen it in reg guide . I'm not against cuttinga bigger holes but should have ccourtesy to mark hole or area after you leave. Walkers , a quad or sled comes by an hour after you leave could spell disaster. Up in Canada on simcoe when permanent huts are moved they back fill 3 by 5 hole with snow and ice and leave a Christmas tree or wooden stake as a marker .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.