New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 414852 times)

Offline jolie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #720 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Check out the new Infisherman magazine page 15 Adventures. It mentions the outstanding ice fishing for walleye up to 8 pounds and perch up to 14 inches in Chatauqua Lake. What a load of bull, dink perch and walleye through the ice are far and few between.i would hope that such a reputable magazine would get  accurate honest information to share with its readers and NOT some BS from some local business owner looking to make a few bucks. I can assure you that this local contact will never get my business. Honesty is the best policy!

I have always believed that publicity of a lake, river,etc had far more to do with the amount of effort (actually money) spent promoting it.   

Anyways, I'd much rather have the publicity aimed at something like chautaqua a really LARGE lake that can really handle the pressure rather some small honey-hole lake that is doomed when a big crowd shows up and starts stocking up their buckets.   and thats another reason to be grateful that really big icefishing venues (like the pro-am) pick this lake over others.

The last statement is the most curious.  If you had sunk your livelihood in some small tackle shop and tried to make it work with NY's rigid, anal laws.... would You write
"Chautaqua lake, a big population of tiny yellow perch and a few large walleyes that are next to impossible to find (and pattern) without dozens of obsessive trips to this waterway"....??

---
Bring in the crowds-- and plead for them to take as many small pech as they can stand and maybe one day, the average perch will be a bit bigger!...
ice fishing;  I'm cold just thinking about it! lol

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #721 on: Dec 06, 2013, 01:56 PM »
It's great to be back! Have a awesome season everyone! Can't wait to meet some of you and split bread.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #722 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:46 PM »
it on like bing bong jack! well not yet but it won't be long

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #723 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:03 AM »
Hows the skim ice holding up?
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #724 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:21 AM »
Did anyone catch stihl outdoors on chataqua this morn? It was from spring on the outdoors channel? No shortage of smallies I see...

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #725 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:06 AM »
Did anyone catch stihl outdoors on chataqua this morn? It was from spring on the outdoors channel? No shortage of smallies I see...

I did. Was it the episode where he dropped his rod in the water after trying to horse one out? Plus he told that stupid story about his wife and the owl.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #726 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:20 AM »
I did. Was it the episode where he dropped his rod in the water after trying to horse one out? Plus he told that stupid story about his wife and the owl.

Yep that's the one, nice to see the lake like that.

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #727 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:33 AM »
Well boys the ice held. It's suppose to be teens and 20s for highs for the next week at least. Unless we get a ton of snow the gills are in trouble Saturday. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #728 on: Dec 10, 2013, 03:12 PM »
37 pages already  :o hahah should start a new BS thread
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline YoungOutdoorsman14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #729 on: Dec 10, 2013, 04:10 PM »
my dad gets an out of state resident New York license every year because we live in Erie PA so it cost's extra and we buy it just because of Chautauqua so we want to get fishing as early as possible this season so we can get our money's worth   , i'm 15 so i'll have a license next year but anyways i just wanted to know if anybody has some accurate measurement's on how much ice there is in mostly mayville. I saw on wunderground that the ice held up so good days are in our future if this cold spell creeps our way

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #730 on: Dec 10, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Welcome to the site YoungOutdoorsman14..   Hope you and your Dad get on the real soon...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #731 on: Dec 10, 2013, 05:14 PM »
THIS SNOW IS not going to help...
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS 2014**
« Reply #732 on: Dec 10, 2013, 08:19 PM »
every time i go to view a webcam its pitch black...
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #733 on: Dec 10, 2013, 08:28 PM »
every time i go to view a webcam its pitch black...

Maybe it's your timing??? :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline forkhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #734 on: Dec 10, 2013, 09:18 PM »
any new spots  for bait ,on the lake?

Offline iceman7471

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #735 on: Dec 11, 2013, 12:33 PM »
The temperatures continue to hold well below freezing.  9:00 this morning it was 17 and now at 1:30 its only 20.  The Sun has not come out enough to say so.  The 10 day shows next Thursday being the 1st day with above freezing temperatures during the day at 35 degrees. 

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #736 on: Dec 11, 2013, 03:45 PM »
You guys were saying where the bait shops by the lake were and I cant remember where the one was. Was it buy Dollar General near the Big Tree road? What's the name? I saw where the one is on Fluvanna.
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline Ultralight108

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #737 on: Dec 11, 2013, 04:15 PM »
bump
I like fishing on days that end in a "Y"

Offline jolie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #738 on: Dec 12, 2013, 10:08 AM »
I don't see the 2014 thread anymore was it eliminated?

anyways,  besides a "bump" is anyone going to be brave enough to try the safest parts of burtis this weekend.   feel free to pm me if you'd really not say it loud and clear.

I don't think I'm willing to try this saturday for the bay is now surely snow insulated and gaining ice very slowly.   But I'd feel a little better trying it on tuesday if ppl are trying it on saturday....

not to say that I need some rumor to give it a go.   my spud will be the final authority on whether or not I walk on water.

Offline Burton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #739 on: Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I'm heading down to my in-laws cottage in Celoron this weekend. Going to take all my ice fishing gear and hope I can get out. Otherwise it will be a relaxing weekend around the cottage.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #740 on: Dec 12, 2013, 12:30 PM »

It was merged with this one since its still going strong....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #741 on: Dec 12, 2013, 02:04 PM »

anyways,  besides a "bump" is anyone going to be brave enough to try the safest parts of burtis this weekend.   feel free to pm me if you'd really not say it loud and clear.

I don't think I'm willing to try this saturday for the bay is now surely snow insulated and gaining ice very slowly.   But I'd feel a little better trying it on tuesday if ppl are trying it on saturday....

not to say that I need some rumor to give it a go.   my spud will be the final authority on whether or not I walk on water.
I agree and will give it a try on Tuesday myself. There has to be some fishable ice by then. Snow slows down ice-making but it doesn't stop it. Spud, spud, spud.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline jolie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #742 on: Dec 12, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Good deal!

I feel better already. 

Offline Fishlip off the hook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #743 on: Dec 12, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Be safe out there and no swimming aloud!!!!!! Good luck to all this season

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #744 on: Dec 13, 2013, 11:49 AM »
When looking at the Burtis webcam can someone tell me if where you walk on the ice is to the far right or far left of this view?
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline brokeinNYS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #745 on: Dec 13, 2013, 12:39 PM »
in the past viewing the Burtis cam - I have first noted individuals out on the ice down near the point at the outlet - then when the numbers begin to build you may see people to the left on the screen however seeing more then a few usually doesn't happen. Folks seen to the right are sitting over shallower waters or have walked in from the parking area near the ball field.  Keep in mind that lot is not plowed as is the parking area at the boat ramp.  Park across the road - parking at the ramp side requires a handicap sign or ticketing can occur.
Without a handicap sign your allowed to unload near the ramp - but then move across the road to park .. Good luck in the coming weeks - I'm also anxious...

Offline grabsjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #746 on: Dec 13, 2013, 01:13 PM »
how safe is it to actually eat the fish from chautauqua? i've heard that the water isn't the cleanest, as it is part of the lake erie basin.

Offline Fishin' Blues

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #747 on: Dec 13, 2013, 01:33 PM »
Where did you hear that? There are no fish consumption advisories for Chautauqua Lake fish... fillet away. Btw, Chautauqua Lake is not part of the Lake Erie basin. It actually drains towards the Allegany.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait, heres a little tip that I would like to relate.........

Offline jolie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #748 on: Dec 13, 2013, 01:47 PM »
I have no reservations about eating from chautaqua.

it doesn't hold any of the heavy industries that have created water issues in many other places.   On the other just about every body of water I have ever fished has gotten a generic advisory for mercury.   Mercury can be airborn on dust particles.    There'e no escaping that pollutant.  AND I'm sure there's  a certain unspecified and more-than-they'd-have-you believe amt of mercury in beef, chicken and pork.

---

What I think is missing from alot of the very cautious threads about this subject is that A) fish is very healthy good food (espacially if you bake them)    B) all the ocean fish have pollutants in them too.

the latter issue is sensitive and major fish producers have applid I think alot of strong political towards not exploring just how polluted some major fishing grounds really are.   

-----
the long and short of this is that there is no perfectly pollutant free food (there's manmade pollutants literally in every animal and plant on the planet).   A balanced and good diet could easily contain quite a haul of fish from one the areas most fertile lakes  and if you fry everything, like I do, make your fish meal a little more occasional.

we (my family) have a big filling fish fry 1-2 a month.  again nearly all of it from chautaqua lake.  Everyones healthy.  We need to eat more chautaqua food and less mcd's. IMHO.

Offline jolie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #749 on: Dec 13, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Where did you hear that? There are no fish consumption advisories for Chautauqua Lake fish... fillet away. Btw, Chautauqua Lake is not part of the Lake Erie basin. It actually drains towards the Allegany.

In PA at least there is a generic once-per-week general advisory that applies to everywhere.

Not in NY? 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.