New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 417286 times)

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #480 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:11 PM »
scary for sure. Most of the lake is holding some decent ice though chris, I have fished 3 different areas in the past few days and have not found less then 8" total ice. One spot was close to 10" and it wasn't "layered" it was solid top to bottom with about half being black/clear. Have seen another area that was 8" with a little gap then about 2", which I know doesn't really count as 10", but enough to feel comfortable. I assume you are ok I suspect this was the big crack that was a couple inches open one day then near a foot wide after the wind blew, probably froze that foot wide gap and then a llittle snow to cover the very thin new ice. I did not see it myself but my buddy fished the southern end of the lake, very long walk from burtis and said he had well over a foot of ice and very little snow on top. The ice is in good shape.The same guy  also told me, I will be seeing them tomorrow, that they caught some true jumbo perch. When I see him I will get pictures before that I will not post what he told me for size .  Be careful out there although I said the ice looks decent it is still a bit funky never really froze right. I felt fairly comfortable where I was with my daughter this morning, but I still used the spud when moving around...which wasn't needed much today  ;D

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #481 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Fished all day saturday. Tried for walleye in morning and evening and no luck.  It was great ice every place i stepped.  Get out and fish.  The perch have all been small.  I kept 4 all day.The best part was a quick try at Mayville for some night fishing.  I fished a few holes and caught some small gills.  I was having trouble keeping my eyes open so I called it quits.  On the way in I talked to a couple guys and offered them some bait.  I wasn't half way home when I realized i left my bucket with perch on the ice. I was so tired I just kept going.  The eyes are there, you just have to be in the right place and time.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
« Reply #482 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Anyone heading out in the am. Might have to fly solo and don't like being the lone sole
ice fishing for life

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #483 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:40 PM »
FISHED MAYVILLE TODAY DINKS CITY  MANAGE A FEW 9  SOME 8'S   SOME 7 'S  MOVE AROUND ALOT FISHED SHALLOWS  25 OR 30 GUYS WHERE OUT  IN MAYVILLE  TALKED   TO THE AMISH KID AND SPOKE WITH HIS FATHER THEY SAID THEY LIMITE OUT ON THE GILLS I SAW WHAT THE KID HAD AND HE HAD SOME NICE GILLS

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #484 on: Feb 26, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Zad,
Are you with the BFD?  If so, you were long gone by the time we discovered that you'd left your bucket behind. Thanks for the bait.  Since I received the bait, my buddy, the PostMaster, stuck me with your perch and bucket.  I still have the bucket in my garage.  Nice meeting you Sat night.

Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #485 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Thanks frabilkil.  Good chatting with you too.  Keep the bucket if you can use it.. Works great as a minnow bucket.  I'll pick another one up this spring with the pool supplies.  I was so tired by the time i left that I don't remember driving home!   Did you or your buddy get out to the walleye grounds?
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline jigman 069

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #486 on: Feb 26, 2013, 09:53 PM »
hows the vickings this weekend? was at d'ville no eyes lots of dinks

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #487 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:34 AM »
Zad,
We didn't stay too much longer after you left.  No 'eyes.  I'm batting .000 (0 for 5) on walleyes here.  I still have the bait, aerated in my garage.  PostMaster and I are going to try lower Chautauqua this evening for panfish.  Thinking of poking around Long Point on Friday after my dental appointment.  On Saturday I'm taking my son and 5 yr. old granddaughter out after her ballet class to fish.  Planning on setting up my son's underwater camera to keep her interested.  We're uncertain if we're going to try Chautauqua or ASP-Red House.  It is contingent on ice/weather conditions.  Best of luck.
Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline icefishingfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #488 on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:14 PM »
im from erie PA and i have to pay $70  for a licence and i only come up for ice fishing, and i'v got a 13 year old son whose an expert on ice fishing and he wont stop buggin' me about getting out very soon, you guys think miller bell tower is safe yet ? anything more than 3 " is fine. but anything less i wont take him out on. Really need a report on miller bell tower ice ASAP please ??? , next week looks great for building ice . hope it lasts.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #489 on: Feb 27, 2013, 05:13 PM »
Not sure about the parking exactly this year  but the ice is good there, bring a spud, but the ice will be well within your 3" standard. It is sloppy right now, but barely above freezing and supposed to get real cold again friday for a while should be no problems. I have been bringing my kids and I need more than 3" for them. The only reason I suggest a spud is if you read back on reports or this page you will see a guy found a weak spot would hate to see your kid find an open crack that will be hidden by snow by the weekend.

Offline dap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #490 on: Feb 27, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Was going to head down to MM on Saturday and was wondering about the parking. I planned on going early AM. I mean early early AM. and was wondering if this will be a problem. Its been along time since I was last there. 15 years or so. If memory serves me correctly its private property. I dont want to ruin it by walking thru someones property at 3am. If someone could give me a heads up I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #491 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:05 PM »
any new reports from today on chautauqua 

Offline EyEsNiPeR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #492 on: Feb 28, 2013, 11:40 AM »
MM is private, only a few people have permission to park. Thete were problems in the past so I don't suggest parking there. I know the people who have permissipn and they have worked hard to keep access permission. Your best bet is to park at dewittville and make the long walk or I know some people park on the side street.

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #493 on: Feb 28, 2013, 11:51 PM »
looking to hit the lake sunday with my son, do you think the ice will still be safe ? we're driving from no. ton. and don't want to use a tank of gas if the ice is not safe. will prob. start at mayville. thanx for any info.

Offline rd9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #494 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:56 AM »
Ice at Mayville is good will be tons of people out there this weekend. Went out last night bluegills are easy to catch. No worries about the ice on the lake as long as you stay away from the creeks.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #495 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I see our "reports" page is locked again...jeeze.  Same ever year, a bunch of questions and no reports, and nobody wants to look a post or two above.  Guy, BS here, report ONLY there!
See you ALL on the ice in the morning...
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #496 on: Mar 02, 2013, 05:25 PM »
anyone out at lp today? hows the drag ? might go out early sunday.

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #497 on: Mar 02, 2013, 05:31 PM »
any Mayville reports from today?  Planning on taking my son out tmmrwto build some memories!

Offline Shelly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #498 on: Mar 02, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Went out today. Alot of small perch. Good times for the kids!

Offline fisherhahn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #499 on: Mar 02, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Monster musky out of MM this morning. great fight on 6lb test, couple quick picks, and away she went, the Flag up! we had another one on a tip up! Too cold and numb from the first one and my buddy ended up breaking it off.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #500 on: Mar 02, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Fished Burtis from 7:30 to 10:30, VERY slow, only saw a few fish on the camera, moved up to Long Point,  tons of perch, all in the 6-7" range.  Ice great, drag VERY easy,
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline clammule

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #501 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:06 PM »
Fished mayville today-lots of dink perch. Kept 8 perch and 5 gills-ice was 8-10". Lost a big Muskie at the hole also my cell phone . The drag was easy. Guess I'll drag myself to the Verizon Store tommorow!

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #502 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:12 PM »
what size perch and gills and what did you catch them on ? good luck fishing

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #503 on: Mar 03, 2013, 01:39 PM »
Anyone have any luck with the perch today?

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #504 on: Mar 03, 2013, 01:49 PM »
little ones at LP for me and my daughter today. Little ones in Maple Springs yesterday.

Offline icefishingfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #505 on: Mar 03, 2013, 02:32 PM »
fished mayville from 6:45 a.m to about noon today, caught at least 150 perch , got one 11 incher , had about 10 good keepers, seen three muskie in the camera , i only fish walleye and perch , so seeing those muskie were pretty cool , one of them covered the whole camera screen. good ice, about 5 " of black ice with about 2 " of snow ice on top of that, pretty easy dragging . happy i got out at least !  :tipup:

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #506 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Any one out on main lake? Prendergast Bell tower. Hows the ice?

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #507 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:36 PM »
icefishing freak, did you have your son with you ? i think i talked to you on your way out. i had my 20 yr old son with me. we fished mayville from 12ish til about 5. lots of little perch. caught a 12 and an 18 inch bass. the bigger one was a trip on 2lb test line. had to have my son lip him for me. came home with 20 something big bluegill. got pretty windy and snowy later. good day out with my son though, he gets busy with work and school, and is being deployed to kawait this july with the air force so i'll take all the time with him i can right now !!!!

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #508 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:41 PM »
by the way, everything on spikes. nothing on emeralds or rosies.

Offline jerrybud55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #509 on: Mar 03, 2013, 11:51 PM »
I hope I can make it there this year. Live about 2hrs away makes it tough to get there. I've heard good things about it there. Hope it stays cold a little bit longer.  Not ready to stop yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.