Author Topic: Ice racing screws in boots  (Read 705 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Ice racing screws in boots
« on: Jan 18, 2024, 06:58 AM »
I use these in all of my boots I wear for ice fishing. I noticed with the lack of snow the last two years that they were slipping more, so I've replaced them on my main boots I use for ice fishing.

They are Kold Kutter Ice Racing Screws 3/8".
They are very comfortable to walk or run with and no pressure points. Using this method also allows custom contact points such as heel and toe where it is crucial to have good anti-slip protection.
I use about 50 per boot for more contact and to spread the pressure points out and it helps more when stepping on raised ice near ice holes where the slush turned to ice.

Never had a leak from using them and I installed them into several pairs including mickey mouse boots. They will lose a few per season, but easily replaced and inexpensive.

Tip is to run them in at a wrong angle part way and then straighten them to the correct angle and finish driving them in, but don't strip out the hole by over tightening them. Try to finsh so that the slots face the sides of the boots for best traction.

You can wear kleats with these if you need too.

I've replaced my main boot screws because I would use them for shoveling and snow blowing and cement has worn them down too far. It took years to get them worn so badly.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ice racing screws in boots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2024, 07:16 AM »

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2024, 07:22 AM »
Have you seen any markings left on the concrete from these? I have a pair of Kubota micro spikes boot cleats and they will pop out chucks of concrete with every step. I might just be fat.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2024, 07:46 AM »

I use these short self tapping screws in Mickie boots work good in and out easy

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2024, 07:52 AM »
I have not. I'm about 215 pounds. I can wear them in the house or stores. They are very slick on hard non porous surfaces such as ceramic tile.

Key is to walk more flat footed strides so more of the boot contacts at once while on surfaces you might damage. Like the bed of nails magic act doesn't penetrate skin.
And don't twist.

I have several cleat systems including the micro spikes and never have I seen damage done to concrete, but then again I don’t care for them. I'll wear only if the screws are too short for conditions and only on ice.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2024, 08:09 AM »

Kold kutters on my trans Alaskans
 And my muck artic ice boots
 Bought a 250 count bag pre covid prices

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2024, 08:18 AM »
I put them in my junk mucks and kamiks.cant bring myself to put them in my bata boots yet.the racing screws do work good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.