Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Pond fished today.  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Pond fished today.
« on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:34 PM »
Made it out to the local pond and caught some gills today......ponds about 3 ft low ......bite was tuff.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pond fished today.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2022, 04:06 PM »
How much ice? Some skim ice and a little more on the more protected ponds here around Des Moines. Won’t get the chance to fish until after Christmas anyway but it’s encouraging!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2022, 06:00 PM »
4-5inches pretty much everywhere on the pond.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2022, 10:57 AM »
Hoping to fish my little pond sometime soon!

Catchin' Fish

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:23 PM »
Question for those on this site:
I live in SW Iowa (near Glenwood) and was wondering how far north I'd need to go this Saturday (Dec. 10) to find fishable ice?
Looks to be a decent day temp wise, and I'm itching to get on ice and try!
Thanks in advance for any ideas and locations!

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2022, 09:20 AM »
All I know is from near where I live. NW Iowa by Spirit Lake. Some small ponds are ok. Go to Iowa Fishing Reports And Conditions for my latest report.

Offline BasscatJake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2022, 06:37 PM »
I live in SW Iowa (near Glenwood) and was wondering how far north I'd need to go this Saturday (Dec. 10) to find fishable ice?
The HWY30 area from Boone to Carroll may have 2-3" on the more protected ponds. I haven't been out since the big cold spell in November. It's been a weird year so far. Temps hovering around 38-42 in the day and lows in the teens at night with maybe a day with lows in the single digits mixed in every other week. The only ponds that I've seen with open water are the ones with geese on them. Everything else has been locked up for 3 weeks now.

I might spud the Boone park pond tomorrow night or Saturday morning. May even drive up around Hwy 20 to check ice conditions but they are calling for 3-5" of snow for Ft Dodge

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:13 PM »

You can check on face book, with TBE bait shops at the IGL.

There is bays and areas you'll be able to get out on and fish for panfish. People will be out just have common sense

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:16 PM »
thanks for info (those who replied!) I was hoping Blackhawk Lake near Lakeview was ready to fish, but I'm guessing not--especially with slightly warmer temps and possibly some rain from the system today. I might have to wait until weekend of 17th (if weather cooperates!)

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:54 PM »
1.5” of ice on a small Crawford county pond today. Raining here now. Gonna be another week or two.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2022, 10:54 AM »
thanks for info (those who replied!) I was hoping Blackhawk Lake near Lakeview was ready to fish, but I'm guessing not--especially with slightly warmer temps and possibly some rain from the system today. I might have to wait until weekend of 17th (if weather cooperates!)

No way at Black Hawk. Very little ice and there's 2-3" of very wet snow on whatever ice there is.  Go further north a bit and even more snow.  We need some rain wind and warm temps to have a do-over around here, I am afraid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.