The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First Ice Metro  (Read 1203 times)

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
First Ice Metro
« on: Nov 21, 2018, 02:59 PM »
This Monday I was able to sneak out and find some fishable ice in the Metro. The bite wasn't fast and furious but it felt awesome to get back out on the ice and fight a couple of fish! Anyone who is venturing out soon please be safe, use the proper safety equipment (I cover what I like to use in the video) and check the ice every step. This warm weather coming should make the ice even more unpredictable.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: First Ice Metro
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:37 PM »
made it out today for the first time this year. northwest of the metro area. had a solid 4.5 inches of ice.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2018, 07:57 PM »
thanks for video give me hope I am doing things somewhat correct. Wondering what one man flip over do you have I am looking around for a lower priced one for solo fishing.

Looking at the Kender jigs you mentioned, they look lower priced than the Clam jigs. We like using the gold tungsten with wax worm

what line do you like using

thanks for any info

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:57 AM »
Great Video. Definitely a good start to the season, ice fishing a few days before Thanksgiving.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2018, 07:57 AM »
Thanks for video. BUT ???  Two hits on white ice to water and I would have headed to shore ::)   I didn't see any four inches of ice??   Would have been good if you had taped it.
Dick

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:01 AM »
thanks for video give me hope I am doing things somewhat correct. Wondering what one man flip over do you have I am looking around for a lower priced one for solo fishing.

Looking at the Kender jigs you mentioned, they look lower priced than the Clam jigs. We like using the gold tungsten with wax worm

what line do you like using

thanks for any info

This will be my 3rd season with the Clam Kenai Pro Stealh 1 man. It's definitely not the cheapest on the market but I've had a good experience with it. Thick, black material so it stays warm. Don't need much for heat. Gets very dark for sightfishing. Built in light bar and battery bag for other electronics. Quite a bit of storage/pockets. The Blazer Stealth is pretty similar but comes with a layout inside where you use a bucket which cuts a lot of weight.

I have been using Kenders for a handful of seasons now and they are quality jigs. They have a lot of sizes, variations and colors to choose from. Low price point for tungsten. There is a 25% Black Friday deal that is good until tomorrow on their website too!

For Panfish I use a lot of 2lb and 3lb mono. For some of the rods I mainly use spoons on, I will put 4lb mono. I will sometimes experiment with putting a 2ft or so of flouro leader to the jig.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.