Author Topic: Spring Bobbers... Yes/No  (Read 5539 times)

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spring Bobbers... Yes/No
« Reply #60 on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Absolutely yes

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:16 PM »
Over my 50+ years of fishing, I have run the gambit from a rod blank on a 2X2 ,cork bobbers, 6# test line... Schooley rods/reels, foam bobbers...standard reels on 24" pannie rods and Thill type floats...to where I am today. 48" ML rods, micro and inline reels, 2-3# test lines, 3mm tungsten jigs and...titanium wires...the biggest improvement and investment I have made in terms of terminal tackle that increased my chances to hook more fish. It took me a few years to convert from floats to wires, but I was patient and persistent. I will never use anything else.

48" ML rods? You must fish in the open and do a lot of hole hopping. 

Last year, if I wasn't in my one man flip over, I fished a 28" ML rod, with a titanium spring bobber, 3# line and a spinning reel.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:19 PM »
I have always been a line watcher. Nothing wrong with spring bobbers, but if you are using a Vexilar and watching your line you won't miss the light bites.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #63 on: Oct 12, 2018, 07:10 PM »
48" ML rods? You must fish in the open and do a lot of hole hopping. 

Last year, if I wasn't in my one man flip over, I fished a 28" ML rod, with a titanium spring bobber, 3# line and a spinning reel.

Yup...in the open and hoppin' holes. I also have a couple of 36" Schooley Arctic Blue UL (although they fish more like a ML) set up the same as my 48" HT Ice Blue Heavies. And, like you, 3# line, 3mm tungsten jigs, titanium wires, spinning reels. If I fish in a shanty...27" Genz ML with HT in-lines ( not your higher end reels but work well for me)  ... same set up as the others. I prefer a heavier rod with the finer wire for quicker hook sets...fits my fishing style better.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.