The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Building ice rods?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline wyolipripper

• IceShanty Rookie
Building ice rods?
« on: Dec 22, 2006, 07:14 AM »
Myself and my ice buddies have always had trouble finding good ice rods.  I have looked into building my own but need some insight.  I found a good website and ordered a catalog from them.  jannsnetcraft.com 
help an icer out
wyolr

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Building ice rods?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2006, 07:46 AM »
Janns Netcraft is a great website. They have a wide selection of rob building supplies. When I started building my own rods I would buy the kits so that all the part selection was done for me. In my opinion, the most key component of building a rod is having a good rod wrapper, but using a card board box will do. It would be a good idea also if you could get a book or video to watch. Rod building is a lot of fun. Also Cabela used to sell an build your own ice rod kit. Thats were I bought my first ice rod kit. I was very pleased. Lastly, when you have finished wrapping your rod and fitting the handle, take the time to mix your rod finish. That is probably the most important step. A bad finish can really turn a beautiful rod into crap, I know!

Bill Bohman

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Building ice rods?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:28 PM »
I wasnt happy with the quality of the rods i bought last year so i built some of my own this year and they work great.  I dont think ill ever buy an ice rod again.  Its a good way to get the exact kind of rod you want.  Its hard to find small blanks sometimes but luckly i kept all of my old broken rods and the tip sections worked great.
Zack

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.