The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: single digits tonight  (Read 1157 times)

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
single digits tonight
« on: Dec 14, 2007, 07:21 PM »
Gonna be cold, everyone should be fishing this weekend. Think I'll even check Burt Lake tomorrow, it'll be a new record for me on Burt. Usually begining of Jan. is good for that lake.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Re: single digits tonight
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:35 PM »
I would think Burt Lake would still be oopen due to it's size and the snow that it received lately.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2007, 10:05 PM »
Ive heard of some ice on maple bay earlier this week. Think I'll go look tomorrow. Usually once maple bay is frozen rest of lake isn't far behind.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Baby it was COLD! When I opened the door to let out the cats last night I nearly turned into a girl!!!

:unsure: :wacko: :unsure:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline hardH2Onut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perchville
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2007, 11:09 AM »
Bring on the cold!

I would be interested on the Burt lake ice report.  I would agree that it has awhile to go before there is safe ice.  The small lakes around Gaylord are still very questionable.  Even though people are fishing Otsego lake(20 ft deep max); they still are not going out too far.  I was there yesterday and about 150 yds off the shore near the park, it started to crack.

Burt has been a favorite of mine until last year. ??? ???  Last Feb. on a 17,000 acre lake and only seeing 4 shanties, something was up.  The fish were extremely difficult to find, for me anyway.

What is the secret for Mullet.  Another huge lake and according to the DNR map books and reports, the fishing has never been that great.

I live in Gaylord and mostly fish Burt or Mullet, I love the area, clear water and the space.  Anyone out there in the mood to offer advice on fishing these 2 lakes?

Thanks,
"HAVE ICE?? WILL TRAVEL!!"

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2007, 01:09 PM »
I was hoping to get out to check Maple Bay on Burt lake today, but its not going to happen. I will post conditions as soon as I can get up there. Fishing on Burt was very bad last year. Not much ice (4-6") and lots of snow that created lots of slush. It's so big you almost need a machine to get out there and it just wasn't very safe. I know of a good brush pile but it is almost 2 miles out and I dont have a machine to get out there. I'm sure there's ice there, Crooked lake had 8" on thursday with no snow, usually burt lake has some by the time crooked has that much. Also it was -5 in pellston last night.

I only fished Mullet once when I was a kid with my dad. We were fishing cisco and got 12. I know a couple of people who do pretty well off topinabee. Dont know where though. There's also a couple sunken islands that may be ok. Other than that don't really know.

Good luck and be safe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.