Author Topic: Dropper chains ?  (Read 5569 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dropper chains ?
« on: Sep 10, 2019, 01:20 PM »
Does anyone use fluoro or mono for their dropper '' chains '' ? I was thinking of just adding a split shot above the hook to keep the hook and spoon seperate from each other , I assume the chain is for that ? I fish for mostly crappie and perch and catch a small pickeral  once in a while  , does 2'' of 6 lb mono sound like a good idea ? all replies appreciated !  THANKS

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Dropper chains ?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2019, 01:45 PM »
It can be done.i would not bother with putting a splitshot on tho,no need for it on a short dropper line,plus fish love to peck the split shot and ignore the baited hook alot.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2019, 01:47 PM »
I can only comment on what happened to me over the years. I still caught fish when I replaced the chain with mono. But it seemed to me not as many. So I pitted one vs the other. I really don't remember how many trips I used. All I remember the chain rigged ones constantly outperformed the mono rigged ones.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2019, 01:50 PM »
I can only comment on what happened to me over the years. I still caught fish when I replaced the chain with mono. But it seemed to me not as many. So I pitted one vs the other. I really don't remember how many trips I used. All I remember the chain rigged ones constantly outperformed the mono rigged ones.
i also believe the chain is better than a short piece of mono.better jigging motion on the chain because a short piece of line is pretty stiff.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2019, 07:53 PM »
That may be Doc. I had a notion that maybe chain made an attracting noise perhaps. I should have stated my preference for the chain may have something to do with being a panfisherman. Ohio crappie , gill and perch all liked the " chain gang ".

If my body loosens up a tad from my fall. Will post a pic of how I rig.
G.E.F.M

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2019, 09:06 PM »
It can be done.i would not bother with putting a splitshot on tho,no need for it on a short dropper line,plus fish love to peck the split shot and ignore the baited hook alot.
I agree that pan fish especially perch like to peck at split shots and flashers.  I just use nicely color light baited jig as the attractor and catch a lot of fish.  The last couple of years on the lakes I fish, the perch wanted light very light line and jigs.  If I went too heavy the fish went away.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Been using mono for this for a long time. These rigs used to be called search lures quite a few years ago. My Halis have chains for this and I do have some replacement chains with single or treble hooks.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2019, 06:12 AM »

Ailments eased up a little. Posted this pic. I use smallest duo lock at end of chain . This allows fast change to anything I want at end.
G.E.F.M

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2019, 10:05 PM »
Been using mono for this for a long time. These rigs used to be called search lures quite a few years ago. My Halis have chains for this and I do have some replacement chains with single or treble hooks.

Like the Hali's but have trended toward the Shuck's/Pilkies for the Perch over the last 5 years.  They also sell the chains in a couple of sizes.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2019, 11:16 PM »
Like the Hali's but have trended toward the Shuck's/Pilkies for the Perch over the last 5 years.  They also sell the chains in a couple of sizes.

Shuck's aren't bad for the price, but after a few years use they don't hold up as well has the Hali's for me. But at 1/2 the cost can't go wrong either way.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2019, 11:32 PM »
So how do you decide how long a dropper you want? Is there a reason I can't chop up kids jewelry chain to make my own?

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2019, 11:49 PM »
So how do you decide how long a dropper you want? Is there a reason I can't chop up kids jewelry chain to make my own?

Can be whatever length. Most people want it short enough that the chain doesn't tangle and get caught up.

U can use any chain, but the stainless steel welded chain holds up and last longer. Normal jewelry chain works, but weakens and rust over time. So break offs are more comon with it.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2019, 12:58 AM »
Short? What's that? A percentage of the weight of the spoon? Length? What. C'mon Ag. Science me

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2019, 01:20 AM »
Short? What's that? A percentage of the weight of the spoon? Length? What. C'mon Ag. Science me

Short enough that the hook doesn't get tangled and caught up in the rings and stuff.

If you are really wanting exact legth measure a shuck's jigger or Hali

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 19, 2019, 06:03 AM »
fishgut, you probably won't want to use kids jewelry chain. Most of the stuff I've seen isn't welded and will pull apart very easily. Make sure you test it for yourself before spending too much time on a particular material. Give it a pull like your setting the hook on a fat perch or crappie. The kids jewelry type material I've tested pulled right apart. Make sure you get welded chain.

sunniewally

« Reply #16 on: Sep 19, 2019, 06:27 PM »

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 19, 2019, 08:16 PM »
I've never "set" a hook into a crappie, just snugged up.  They're called paper lips for a reason. Shock of a hookset isn't an issue. I'd rather the link and hook go when I get snagged in the brush pile I'm jigging.

How do you recognize an up bite? By accident on the next time you lift?

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 19, 2019, 09:59 PM »
Buy them ready made.
https://www.shuckslures.com/jigger-accessories
[/quote

could not agree more....while your there ya might wanna pickup a few jigger minnows.  My favorite perch rig of all time for fish in 20+ feet of water.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 26, 2019, 09:42 PM »

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2019, 07:10 AM »

Agro,
What size hook you using?  Are those for panfish?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Agro,
What size hook you using?  Are those for panfish?

I Can't remember. Yes for panfish. I was cleaning up my tackle making room. I'll see if I can find the stuff and the size.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2019, 06:44 PM »
so is this some kind of special chain sold in outdoor stores
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 27, 2019, 07:11 PM »
so is this some kind of special chain sold in outdoor stores

It is welded jewelry chain you are looking for.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 27, 2019, 07:14 PM »
Among the best, is stainless steel, welded. It's very strong. the alternative is to buy junk chain and lose fish with break-offs.   A very nice size is 0.08mm priced at $2.10 per foot at the link below.   It's located "about"   7/8ths  down the page. (way down the page).    Good luck !    ;)2

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=186&cat=Chain

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Sep 27, 2019, 08:49 PM »
Hook size.

Size 10, 8, & 6.

Size 10 best for panfish.

Measured dropper chain length is from 1/2in on some to 1 1/2 inches on longer droppers

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Sep 27, 2019, 10:09 PM »

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Sep 29, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Thanks!

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 30, 2019, 03:47 PM »
Personally I prefer 2- 3 inches of dropper chain for my lures. A handy gauge is your thumb. When cutting I just wrap once around my thumb for length. Most peoples thumbs are 2-3/4 " to 3 " circumference. Agree 100% about using the welded stainless steel. I get mine from a place on Amazon.
G.E.F.M

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.