New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing on canadarago lake  (Read 82778 times)

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: fishing on canadarago lake
« Reply #870 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Fred the unemployed fishermen of the 90's that used to sell there catch are the guys that killed this lake. I will agree there was a spell 6 to 8 years ago that there was some good perch, but not like in the 80's and 90's.
 We had non stop action today for a couple hours. My brother did 18 perch in 15 minutes. Now these are not Oneida Lake perch, but for a lake that has been producing alot of 6 and 7 inchers. We got into 9 to 11 eleven inchers today.
 For me it's 1 1/4 hour to Oneida and just under an hour to Canadarago. I mark a few fish at Oneida and have never gotten into the eyes. At least I have a lot of action and am able to bring home a meal or two.
 I guess I just like fishing at Kowboy's back door.
   when I was coming there years ago I never crushed them but they ran from 11.5 -14 inches and i measured one for a guy there that was 16" on the button , man was that a monster , it's about 90 miles one way for me , where Oneida is about 65-70 round trip,  it would be cheaper to by seafood  LOL

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's twice as nice when there stacked on the ice !
« Reply #871 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:35 PM »
You have that right Slamboney they still stock Tigers but the # are down back in the 80s there were very large perch in there, never any dinks. T he state should go back to the old formula of 6 Tigers an acre I think the perch population would be kept in check.  Seriously it was nothing to catch legal sized Tigers,Walleyes and 12-14 in perch look at the state stockings over the early 80s and late 70s and compare to now. N.A.T.T Rules!!!
DEC quit stocking tigers last year because people weren't having much success catching them so they quit the program right when we need tigers the most. ??? Thanks region 4

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #872 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:38 PM »
Filet lived on this lake my whole life and have seen it boom around the time I was in the service 82 to 86, when I came out we were catching jumbo perch and throwing back eyes 18 inches now and I say now in the past few yrs I don't even go out my door to fish the lake, kinda depressing to see the lake go down, that's why I drive the hour and half to fish oneida

Offline jigasol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #873 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:53 PM »
what are fall fish? look like what we used to call river chubs on the susquehanna.caught one through ice on goodyear this  year along with  a 10 to 12 inch shiner.some   of those river chubs get up around 20 inches or so in the sus.any opinions on how sno on ice affects the fishin.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #874 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:29 PM »
It's too bad..... Cando and Otsego both beautiful, productive fisheries are in so much trouble. Each w/ their own problems. How can we as fishermen petition DEC to start restocking Tigers and Walleyes or reintroduce a forage base to Otsego? It's a helpless feeling watching Otsego slide down hill and seeing Cando produce stunted Perch when they have so much potential.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #875 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:57 PM »
I couldn't agree more and if something can be done, I'm on board.otsego fish are starving and need something to eat and Cando needs a good perch clean out.maybe a few large derbies where it's weight based.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #876 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:06 PM »
What's ironic is both lakes are having problems because of invasive alewifes.  Otsego needs more and Cando has too many :-\

Offline crappiekiller315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • THATS HOW I ROLL SUCKA'S
« Reply #877 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:07 PM »
I agree there is way to many small perch in cando but what can we as fisherman do I honestly think if we truly want to get a grip on the problems at hand, we need to get ahold of the lake association and schedule a meeting with fishermen,lake association members and regional fisheries biologists and hammer out a management plan that good for the lake,
otsego and canadrago both we as fishermen may not be satisfied with the outcome for a few years or we may be overly joyed only time can tell.
I'm not nearly as old some guys heck I know fillet is close to a million heck he remembers when cando had megladons swimming around in there lmao sorry Freddy I been to nice lately....
I can remember going smelt dipping in both lakes back in the 80's and in otsego in the early 90's and both lakes were very very health back then and that was with a lot of market fishing going on now we have smaller bag limits no market guys and worse conditions I'm all for helping our lakes become healthy once again....killer out
why is it everytime i start catchin fish a GREMLIN pop's up in my hole

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #878 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Filet lived on this lake my whole life and have seen it boom around the time I was in the service 82 to 86, when I came out we were catching jumbo perch and throwing back eyes 18 inches now and I say now in the past few yrs I don't even go out my door to fish the lake, kinda depressing to see the lake go down, that's why I drive the hour and half to fish oneida
nice killer  ;) , some day kid your going to have to sit next to me  :woot:
 I started fishing it about 20 years ago and it was good, big perch , last 2 times there it was a weekend and there must have been 200 guys on it , that lake can't take that kind of pressure . and KB I can't blame you for heading west , and you and your better half are doing very well

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #879 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:48 PM »
"we need to get ahold of the lake association and schedule a meeting"

Lake Assn director here.  Meetings to create a Watershed management plan that includes all issues pertaining to the entire 50 mile watershed have been advertised around the area since September.  In fact, we have one coming up on Feb 26, at 6 pm, at the RS Vet's Club to discuss the problems and possible solutions to the various plant and animal invasive species.  All are welcome, I'd love to meet some of you there!

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #880 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:23 PM »
there we go guys! lets all show up at this meeting!

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #881 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:44 PM »
I would love to have the 'Shanty well represented!

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #882 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Get DEC involved and start a creel survey the more input the better they will work with you. It's a shame I have not been to that lake in 20 yrs I will remember it as it was.
Mr.Esox

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #883 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:21 PM »
System...Perchpopper & I will be there.  Looking forward to meeting you.  As a retired career DEC employee I know how things are now within the agency (bare bones budget) and am not optimistic they will provide much assistance.  I hope I am wrong.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #884 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:51 PM »
I have been working with some great DEC guys out of Stamford, and they've always been in close contact with me, inviting me on every fish survey of the lake, sending me an and all data, asking advice and experience for stocking programs, etc.  DEC's doing the best they can, it's up to concerned and motivated outdoorsmen to do the real work.

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #885 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:54 PM »
I bet if all the DEC permits were granted, a fund drive could drum up the $ needed to get the stocking program going.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #886 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Dec stocks 30-40 walleye fry each year, and is willing to re-start the tiger stocking if there is community support.  that is a controversial topic around town, many of the older fishermen think the tigers will eat all the big perch and are actually causing the dink explosion.  I disagree, as does a head DEC biologist.  I have had somewhat of a hard time getting the needed community support DEC needs, I have sent my personal letter to them asking for the stocking program to be re-instatated, and the Lake Assn is ready to as an organization, if I can show good support.  You guys might be just the ticket. 

I'd love to hold a meeting of just us anglers to hammer out our thoughts and ideas about the lake, no official meeting with members, etc, just us to present a unified front.  If there's interest, I can book a date at the Vet's Club any time.

Offline perchpopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #887 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:57 PM »
  There's a lot of truth in strength in numbers  so the more people we get to show up at the vets club will or should send a message . Being a land owner on the lake i'll talk to the ones i know . System is very dedicated to the lake association so lets get together and give him a little backing and see what happens.
Morning sun rising, a hot cup of coffee and flags a flyin , priceless!!

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
« Reply #888 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:55 PM »
I love tiger muskies! I think introducing a strong population would thin out the herd of dink perch. There's just so many perch in that lake that I doubt tiger muskies would have a negative affect on the population. Jumbo perch would definitely increase, with the increasing lack of pressure from all the dinks that would be eaten by the tiger muskies.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #889 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Count me in System. If I don't head out west again I will be there.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #890 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Definitely support this! I haven't been on the ice at Cando in probably three years because of all the dinks. Just isn't worth weeding through all of them for a few keepers. Tigers would definitely feed on those dinks and it would be nice to be able to fish decent perch within a twenty minute drive, even if it takes a few years.
Pete

Offline bautochkaj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #891 on: Feb 08, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Have never ice fished this lake.  Where to park and where sunken island is?

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #892 on: Feb 08, 2014, 10:20 AM »
For Sunken Island you would park at Baker's Beach on the west side. The island is basically straight out where all the people will be fishing. A couple hundred yards maybe.

BIGJim223

Offline perchprince

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #893 on: Feb 14, 2014, 04:48 PM »
did everybody give up on the lake? how's the ice ,snow, fish? 100 miles away, living vicariously, hoping to get up there someday

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #894 on: Feb 15, 2014, 02:14 AM »
well guys & galls 
 We lost a great fisherman    hard & soft water   on canadarago lake
you wont see Joseph W kosina
anymore on the lake   He passed on  February 07  2014 
he was owner  of 4seasons  sport store  out of his home
I went way back with him   I knew him   when he had  his   sport store & bait 
@ his home  In unidilla  forks

then moved    to over looking   this lake <Canadarago. Lake>
he will be missed
P.B.P   Out

smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #895 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:40 AM »
Joe was a good friend to all, he will be missed.  Stop by and tell his wife and sons how much he meant to the community. 

PerchPrince, good to hear from you!  The lake has over 12" ice and a lot of heavy snow, and this year has generally been considered to be slower than usual as far as bigger fish go.  The cold and wind aren't helping either.  You coming up in the spring?

Offline perchprince

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #896 on: Feb 16, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Sorry to hear about Joe, always got bait from him.RIP.  System, will be up in May, hoping to get up for a little hard water action if conditions improve. You guys are right on with the tigers. An aquarium can only support x-amount of inches of fish, 100 little ones or 10 bigguns. Need some thinning for sure. From what I've seen at the lake you could net/trap millions of the little guys.PP

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #897 on: Feb 16, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Hey guys, just a reminder:  On Wed Feb 26, at the Richfield Springs Vet's Club, at 6 pm, there will be a Lake Watershed Meeting to learn about the various invasive species (primarily plant but also animal) that are threatening the lake, possible courses of action, and the highly successful Lake Steward Program. This is primarily an educational forum, with great presenters from SUNY Oneonta and the Biological Field Station.  There will, of couse, be ample time for public discussion because the purpose of these meetings is to create an all inclusive  plan for the future of our lake.   We could really use a strong presence of fishermen there!  PM me for any questions or a phone#!

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #898 on: Feb 17, 2014, 02:35 AM »
ill be there system!

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #899 on: Feb 24, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Classlessness strikes again.  >:( Found these lovely gifts strewn about on the ice. Cigarette butts were everywhere, picked 'em out of every hole I came across. Luckily I had my garbage bag with me and the mess has been discarded properly. I could rant and go on and on about this kind blatant disrespect of our natural resources, but I won't. I would just like to say, if you are gonna come to Cando to fish and leave trash all over, you are not welcome here.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.