The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tommy Chong at Cowbanks yesterday  (Read 3413 times)

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Tommy Chong at Cowbanks yesterday
« on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:12 AM »
Anyone run into Tommy Chong look alike at cow banks this season?
Dude is about 6 maybe 6' 1" slim late 50 early 60's and thinks
he owns lots of acreage? He came at my buddy an I yesterday
flaring, screaming away what a knucklehead. My buddy was going to
cut a perch hole with a power auger about 30 yards from
his tip up. He was a step or a shove away from getting decked.

Will somebody lend him a little legal in VT an tell him to chill.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tommy Chong at Cowbanks yesterday
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:51 AM »

I fished about 50 yds from him a few weeks ago, he was hammering shakers on his tipup line while I was jigging yellows. We chatted a little while, he seemed like an okay guy at that time, had no issues with him then...maybe he was having a bad day or whatever, still doesn't excuse his behavior to you guys.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2019, 01:43 PM »
It was strange and has been a long time since I ran into someone who "owned" vast areas of a popular spot. 
I moved away after explaining three times my buddy was going to jig perch but "area was his".
I had no intention of setting up for salmon there. He was set up before sunrise but never saw a guy get so hot about
a guy considering cutting one quick hole to go "perching". I was in my typical very happy to be out fishing mood but
he was pushing buttons and needs to chill.   

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2019, 01:56 PM »
This would be a worthwhile story if it were Tommy.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2019, 02:57 PM »
If I was going to pick a spot on champlain to call it
"My own" certainly wouldnt be there.
Odd ive fished there 3 times this season and haven't ran into him.
Maybe im lucky.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:20 PM »
as long as he doesnt come to "bootstrap bay" we'll be fine.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Sounds like Jimmy Alexander,he has the ice fishing record for laker in VT and it went to his head.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:12 PM »
Ice fishing is supposed to be fun. People like that can ruin a good day. Normally when I am pan fishing I'll ask if it is OK to cut into a tip up spread. Almost always it is OK. The reality is we all have the right to fish anywhere we want to.
Reminds me of an old story my father told me. Many decades ago he and my uncle were perch fishing somewhere up in the Islands. They had a shanty and it was getting to be near the end of the year. The wind was blowing hard and they were toasty warm in the shanty. They heard some noise and opened the door and a guy was right behind their shanty drilling a hole to get out of the wind. There most likely was some beer in the equation and Dad said with all the area out here in the lake you have to drill right next to our shanty. The guy apologized and left. The end of the day came and all the beer was probably long gone. The wind was worse than ever and they knew they had to drag the shanty off the ice. They broke it loose and started out bringing it across the bay to the only low spot and field to get it up to the road. They finally got it off the ice and started along the field headed to the road. Along came a guy and it turned out to be the same guy they gave a hard time to out on the lake. He said with all the lake shore why do you have to drag that shanty over my field. He was adamant that they bring it back to the ice and take it off elsewhere. I guess it took a couple hours to get it back on the trailer. What goes around comes around.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:32 PM »
Ice fishing is supposed to be fun. People like that can ruin a good day. Normally when I am pan fishing I'll ask if it is OK to cut into a tip up spread. Almost always it is OK. The reality is we all have the right to fish anywhere we want to.
Reminds me of an old story my father told me. Many decades ago he and my uncle were perch fishing somewhere up in the Islands. They had a shanty and it was getting to be near the end of the year. The wind was blowing hard and they were toasty warm in the shanty. They heard some noise and opened the door and a guy was right behind their shanty drilling a hole to get out of the wind. There most likely was some beer in the equation and Dad said with all the area out here in the lake you have to drill right next to our shanty. The guy apologized and left. The end of the day came and all the beer was probably long gone. The wind was worse than ever and they knew they had to drag the shanty off the ice. They broke it loose and started out bringing it across the bay to the only low spot and field to get it up to the road. They finally got it off the ice and started along the field headed to the road. Along came a guy and it turned out to be the same guy they gave a hard time to out on the lake. He said with all the lake shore why do you have to drag that shanty over my field. He was adamant that they bring it back to the ice and take it off elsewhere. I guess it took a couple hours to get it back on the trailer. What goes around comes around.
Great story. There have definitely been days where I’ve ended up at another fisherman’s mercy and lucky for me I’d say 90% of the folks I’ve run into on the ice are good people. Hopefully those days when the script is flipped people walk away thinking I’m alright. It’s few and far in between but a sore fisherman can sure spoil a day.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:52 PM »

Cool story
Lord of the perch
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:11 PM »
I’ve yet to run into people like that ice fishing. Open water I’ve met my fair share of idiots.
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline FREEP82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 617 STRONG
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:07 AM »
Cool story
Lord of the perch
Great nickname! The Legend grows.....

Offline dbldnii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:41 AM »

did he accuse your dog of eating his stash?
Fish on

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:09 AM »
Great story!

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2019, 09:43 AM »
This would be a worthwhile story if it were Tommy.

I was hopeful when I opened the thread.

Offline Island_Viking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2019, 06:17 PM »
It sure does suck to have a grumpy neighbor. I always try to be as polite as possible when I'm approaching someone else already on a spot. Even if I'm probably a good distance away, I like to at least make an effort to say hi and have a quick chat. It always seems that they appreciate me asking if I'm too close. Often times I learn a little tidbit about the bite or how they did during the day. We are all after the same thing out there, no need to get nasty, especially on Champlain with it being so big. Anyway I will definitely say hi if I run into anyone out there!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2019, 06:55 PM »
Tell him its illegal on international water.....
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.