The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: I hate 10" augers!  (Read 7873 times)

Offline trout slayer 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: I hate 10" augers!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:58 PM »
i use a fin bore 3 8 inch and vever had a prob pullin 15 pound lakers thro
aka halfrack23 willoughby lake

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2011, 02:01 PM »
VTPike-  Did you think I would change my mind or back down just because you have big feet?

You can do what you want.  At least we're all sportsman (sportspeople?)  I just think that it's a matter of safety for everyone on the ice.  Personally, I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone falling in.  Good luck out on the ice.  Maybe you'll catch a fish that will fill HALF of your 10" hole. :o
I fish better Hungry.

rickl1968

« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2011, 02:23 PM »
6 inch is all i need to get my 20 lb lakers through the hole  ;D

Ya, good luck with that!  and a rope and gaff and dynamite. :o

Offline Long Point Slammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Like to see you pull a 40 lb Laker thru your 8" hole.   Good Luck!
'If you fish it, they will come.....'

Offline Spike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2011, 02:37 PM »
I have a 10 inch Jiffy and have had the same one for 15 years.  I have never even remotely though of replacing it for the reasons prior mentioned.  I will tell you that I have twisted my ankle stepping in a six inch hole.  Maybe we should all go to eights!

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2011, 02:46 PM »
Or 4's ;D
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:23 PM »
Ya, good luck with that!  and a rope and gaff and dynamite. :o

the one im holding here isnt 20 but it came through a 6 inch and i got one last year that was 22 lbs and that came through a 6 inch not saying it was easy but im saying it can happen

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:26 PM »
must have been the longest, skinniest, 22 lb fish ive ever seen!

Offline Long Point Slammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:30 PM »

the one im holding here isnt 20 but it came through a 6 inch and i got one last year that was 22 lbs and that came through a 6 inch not saying it was easy but im saying it can happen

Once you lose a big fish, you'll understand.  It's nice to have room to play with, bottom line!
'If you fish it, they will come.....'

Offline mroy44

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:22 PM »

Must have taken all day to get that monster through the hole

Good fishin!!  Nugent 2012!

Offline old duke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:36 PM »
don't need them, too big. you don't buy a 475. cal. just in case you might shoot a 200 lb. deer

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:19 PM »
i have an 8'' and would never get a bigger one. any fish that fits a little tight is gaffed, if i'm catch and release that day, then no big deal if it gets off

Offline ice dog Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:37 PM »
I dont fish with tip ups I jig all day. And if you move a couple feet off the spot you catch nothing. Our holes up here freeze solid over night. Ice thickness is 4 ft+ The only way your going to step in a hole is if your on the lake after the season is over. I am not going to wreck my auger redrilling my hole. Its your own resposability to watch where you step. where you fish tip ups are the norm. Up here tip ups are for the lazy.
Yeah, I know how you guys work. When you see someone catching fish on tip-ups you come ruinning! ;D

Offline miked

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • jack perch
« Reply #43 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:53 PM »
i still have my jiffy 10 in, heavy as a b!@#$%^, switched to a 8 in strikeking  very lite .My brother went through a 10 in hole ,the temp was about 5 and his leg flash froze.
[img]

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:47 PM »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has managed this! I have a size 14 hoof and still put a leg through a 10 inch once, But you know what? I wouldn't trade my 10 inch hole for anything! (except maybe a 12!) I love it room to fight fish, get a gaff down their, and by the end of the day you still have a workable hole, not a frozen in one the size of a quarter! I also love it for pan fish fishing in the shanty, both because when you can see the bottom it is nice to have a big hole to look down, and because its a lot easier to keep those perch from getting caught on the bottom.
We drilled tip up sets of 20-30 holes with a 6 inch hand auger for years, and I will take my 10 In Jiffy Any Day!! (Its worth a wet leg every now and then, and on the bright side, when someone else does it its funny as h$ll!)

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Up here tip ups are for the lazy.

Down here the Tip-Ups are for the smart! Fishing lines times 15 from a warm shanty with food and coffee? I think so! haha

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:10 PM »
[Down here the Tip-Ups are for the smart! Fishing lines times 15 from a warm shanty with food and coffee? I think so! haha
]

Up here we are only allowed 2 lines and we do pretty good with them. Whats your limits there. Here we are allowed 6 walleyes. If they let us use 15 lines there would be no fish left in lake winnipeg

Offline johng7113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:20 PM »
I stepped in one a few years back on lake winnipesaukee, a few years back. It wasn't a fun experience. The funny thing about it was that myself and many other people walked past it a bunch of times and no one fell in it all day. It was on a pretty well traveled path, and i just happened to step in it. Just goes to show you you always got to be careful about where you are walking.
John

Offline rw5bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:39 AM »
here is the problem, yes we are all big boys so if we step in a 10" hole we will deal with it, my problem is when a little kid steps in one, because Im telling you now its not going to be good, then maybe you won't put so much importance on having a little more room to play a fish or not having to keep widening your holes. I have a 6" hand mora and have pulled pike up to 19lbs through so to me 4" over that is plain over kill and competely unecessary. 8" would be a good comprimise.  Please rethink the 10" size not for us fisherman but for the kids that are going to get hurt or worse. and please dont say something like the kids have to watch where they are walking. They are kids!

Offline old duke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:19 AM »
just got info that at bath tub rocks on caspian there is 5 -8 holes almost 16" across from water running down a 10' hole

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:25 AM »
just got info that at bath tub rocks on caspian there is 5 -8 holes almost 16" across from water running down a 10' hole
So the hole would still be almost 14'' from an 8' auger and you'd still fall in!

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:01 AM »
So whats the solution, ban them? I use ten inch holes and enjoy the extra room.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline Hartford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:12 AM »
here is the problem, yes we are all big boys so if we step in a 10" hole we will deal with it, my problem is when a little kid steps in one, because Im telling you now its not going to be good, then maybe you won't put so much importance on having a little more room to play a fish or not having to keep widening your holes. I have a 6" hand mora and have pulled pike up to 19lbs through so to me 4" over that is plain over kill and competely unecessary. 8" would be a good comprimise.  Please rethink the 10" size not for us fisherman but for the kids that are going to get hurt or worse. and please dont say something like the kids have to watch where they are walking. They are kids!

That's exactly what I was told when I was little.  Keep an eye on you kids, educate them to the dangers and hope nothing tragic happens.  If the kid is too young to be trusted for a couple seconds with your back turned then you ought to leave them with the babysitter.

Offline VTPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:39 AM »
So if an adult knows the possible dangers of a 10" hole,why would they put their child in harms way ? If we have a kid small enough to fall in a 10" hole then that kid doesn`t go on the ice,period....Now how many fatalities have resulted from these evil 10" holes ? Please enlighten my apparent narrow mind set.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #54 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:48 AM »
I fell through Sun opening weekend in snow covered hole brother cut the day before.
Yep 8 inch bruise on the leg and came close to FX, I completely agree
10 inch augers don't belong in heavily fished areas (Champlain bays, CT river
set backs etc) but will never think twice about using it on remote areas NEK lakes.
Third time i went through (once to the shouldier last season) in 30 years of ice fishing.  :tipup:

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #55 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:01 AM »
So if an adult knows the possible dangers of a 10" hole,why would they put their child in harms way ? If we have a kid small enough to fall in a 10" hole then that kid doesn`t go on the ice,period....Now how many fatalities have resulted from these evil 10" holes ? Please enlighten my apparent narrow mind set.
  We're not "bashing " 10 in augers...just a good conversation about auger dia. Some great thoughts and good points !  You all well know that holes can cleverly disquise them selves as a lake ! Any dia.. Sorry but...ALL CHILDREN are welcome on the ice with ME. Our children started when they were in car seats !!!  They loved it !
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:15 AM »
  We're not "bashing " 10 in augers...just a good conversation about auger dia. Some great thoughts and good points !  You all well know that holes can cleverly disquise them selves as a lake ! Any dia.. Sorry but...ALL CHILDREN are welcome on the ice with ME. Our children started when they were in car seats !!!  They loved it !

Right on!! I started when I was 2-3. This has been a good thread. Many points for both sides I hadn't thought of

CJ

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #57 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:58 AM »
All this discussion and no one has mentioned the holes left by bait wells, live wells and beer cooler wells (these are made by drilling a collection of holes all touching each other and leaving a thin layer of ice in the bottom, in case you were wondering)

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #58 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Ok so now everybody who uses 10" augers should register them as weapons because from the sounds of it on here ice fishermen are being killed every year by 10" holes. Next we will be required to put up fencing around them..........Or people should watch where they walk and keep kids away from 10" holes. Come on people, let's just fish!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #59 on: Feb 02, 2011, 12:32 PM »
Ok so now everybody who uses 10" augers should register them as weapons because from the sounds of it on here ice fishermen are being killed every year by 10" holes. Next we will be required to put up fencing around them..........Or people should watch where they walk and keep kids away from 10" holes. Come on people, let's just fish!

Melt this dang snow and count me in for fishin' Brotha!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.