Author Topic: heritage laker problem  (Read 6096 times)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
heritage laker problem
« on: Feb 07, 2008, 10:10 AM »
I have a couple of heritage lakers.  The problem I have is the wing nuts keep falling off the reel. I've tried new wing nuts and washers but when the reel spins the wingnuts fall off. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them from coming off? I'd greatly appreciate it.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: heritage laker problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2008, 10:19 AM »
Same problem :(

I replaced mine with a locknut. So far so good ;)

I also had trouble with the shaft turning (apparently this occurs due to the wood swelling once it gets wet).  I resolved this by drilling through the wood and replacing the press-fit shaft with a ss bolt.  I did this for all 12 of my Heritage Lakers and have not had a problem since.

Good Luck..........Hope this helped
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Thank you very much. I will try this.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2008, 01:35 PM »
Easy fix.. just take a nail set or a punch & Ding the threads on the end of the screw/bolt. Or pinch the last 2 end threads with a needle nosed/leatherman style pliers... Then the threads on the nut can't go past the damaged threads unless you use extra torque on the nut to get it past the burred threads. The nut will act as a "die"(as in "tap & die" set ), & straighten the threads if you ever need to take the reel off.  By doing this you can also still use the wing nut as a drag to keep the bait from tripping the flag, but it won't come off until you want it to.

This has worked for mine for years.

Good Luck!

- My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:53 PM »
used semi permanent locktite on mine. put a dab of gorilla glue on the shafts. niether has moved since.

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2008, 05:51 PM »
If you can find small plastic/vinyl fuel line cut a small piece off and slide it over the end of the bolt. You want it to be small enough that is fits snug against the thread so that it doesn't fall off either.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:43 PM »
I like MN sportsmans idea.  You can also just keep spare wingnuts with you.  You can also take a glue gun or any glue for that matter and let some harden on the end like a cap.  This will keep the wing nut on the lakers.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2008, 10:54 AM »
You can by some liquid plastic (vinyl) the kind of stuff they make the handles on pliars at Fleet farm.

dip the screw end in the vinyl, (about 1/4 inch) when it hardens the wing nut won't back off.

The great part is that you can always peel off the vinyl if you need to disassemble your tip ups.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline r_carr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:27 PM »
Great suggestions guys, I am having the same problem on some old heritage lakers I have. Anyone know what size washers? Thanks a lot. Think I'll try replacing with stop nuts and some liquid plastic.

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:43 AM »
I usually use"fender" washers, I believe they're 1/4 " (hole size) & They're flat & have an over large circumference ( approx. 7/8 - 1") as compared to regular flat washers. You can also add a "lock" washer (star, or ramp type) if you feel it necessary, to give additional drag. (I don't use lock washers myself...) Just as long as you aren't getting the Wing nut too close to the end of the screw that holds the whole works on...
 I use a wing nut , instead of a lock nut, for quick "In-the-Field" drag adjustment, using my fingers instead of a pliers.

Just in case anyone gets confused, When I 'm talking "drag" with tipups, I am talking about setting the tension just light enough to keep my live bait, which sometimes is quite large, from setting off the flag prematurely. I have my spools set up to loosen the wing nut as the line gets pulled out by the target fish, so as to add no resistance to its' run away from the tipup.But just tight enough to keep the bait from doing it < I think I explained that well enough..??.....
;)
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2008, 05:34 AM »
Gorilla glue inside the wood where to threaded bolt goes and some on the wing nut. It will never move again. Just don't get it on your spool or that will not move either.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Loctite, check the types. I believe the red cap is the type used for long term hold, not sure? Great stuff!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2008, 02:16 PM »
they suck. just send all those heritage tip-ups to me. no more problems. ::) ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:57 AM »
looking for parts

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2009, 01:14 PM »
I have a couple of heritage lakers.  The problem I have is the wing nuts keep falling off the reel. I've tried new wing nuts and washers but when the reel spins the wingnuts fall off. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them from coming off? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Try wrapping the bolt with some teflon tape or replacing the wingnuts with the locking type (they have a plastic insert pressed into the end)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.