Author Topic: Depth Markers  (Read 4662 times)

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
Depth Markers
« on: Jan 15, 2007, 05:40 PM »
Just wondering what everyone else uses to mark their depths on their tipups. I personally use buttons, I seem to like these best. :tipup:
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline icecruiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Depth Markers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2007, 06:21 PM »
Look here for previous discussion on this.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=37653.0

many different opinions, lots of button users, some bobber users, etc
my trick is to tie a slip know with a small piece of matchstick in it, when done pull the matchstick and pull the line, no fumbling with buttons freezing my hands off while pulling traps.

John

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Buttons here too.........
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:59 AM »
This might be a dumb question, but.   How do you use the buttons?

Offline FISH21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2007, 11:40 AM »
I tie rubber bands around the line, they slide up and down very easily.

Offline ICU

• IceShanty Rookie
  • How Much Shaved Ice Do You Need!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:06 PM »
I don't use the standard button anymore.I use a snap button that can be had at any arts and craft store.I was tired of having to unwind spool to get to button,if was comming from fishing in 40 ft of water to fishing in 10 ft of water.and having to slide button another 30 ft up the line.I slide my line between the halves of the button,give the line (hook end) a half turn and it stays in place. sometimes they do pop off if banged enough times on edge of ice, I just have extras in pocket.you want to change depths or pack it in for the day,just snap the button apart,your line is free drop button in pocket,and all set to set new depth,for next body of water.
Craig B;
Life is like chasing a chicken:
Sometimes you get the chicken,and sometimes you get the feathers.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2007, 02:15 PM »
Dick's sporting good sold tiny bobbers, probably 6 or 8 to a package. I would use one of them to mark how deep the water is.

Offline keithdterry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:17 PM »
Removable split shots with a little white paint or White Out. 
No coffee, no peace.  Know coffee, know peace.

Offline outdoorman18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:01 PM »
best idea is alligator clips used in electrical work and testing......sound the depth to the bottom and take out whatever you want then just clip and when you are done just clip it to the flag or something ;D....works great!!

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2007, 07:46 PM »
I have buttons on ,but when i fish a new spot i use the little bobbers from ht they are easy to remove and when you find the depth that the fish are biting at i move my button down and it's right there all the time.

Offline keithdterry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2007, 10:33 AM »
best idea is alligator clips used in electrical work and testing......sound the depth to the bottom and take out whatever you want then just clip and when you are done just clip it to the flag or something ;D....works great!!
Good idea, I have used BIG removable split shots.  Tough part is that you always have to take out you pliers and/or take off your gloves.  I'm switching to alligator clips.
No coffee, no peace.  Know coffee, know peace.

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2007, 11:20 AM »
 :tipup:I use a button our a small split shot both work very well for me :tipup:

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:06 PM »
i use buttons( i like big white ones), if i am fishing in the same place the next day i keep the buttons in the same place on the line when i pack up, if not then i just slid them down to the swivel so that they are always at the bottom of the line for the next place i fish.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2007, 03:24 PM »
Small Buttons or the small ice bobbers is what I use.  I prefer the bottons though.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2007, 06:19 AM »
I have used buttons since I started ice fishing
They work well for me
The buttons I use have large holes that way the line moves easily through them when changing depths.
I hold the button and let the sounding weight carry the line through the holes.
I like the fact that when I get a flag I can tell how much line is out by where the button is.

The marked line like lead core is a good idea.   That would be good for targeting suspended fish you see on a depth finder.
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:18 AM »
well i mark my light green line every 10feet with marker out to 200 ft and use a bobber. it work's for me :tipup:

Offline imfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2007, 05:53 PM »
I do the same as pieman1998.  I use a 10' leader tied to a swivel and then I mark every 10' on my light colored backing line and I can set to any depth in a flash. A Polar Vision digital hand held sonar makes reading the bottom a snap.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2007, 09:00 PM »
i use really small bobbers. works great

Offline brewmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
  • farm boy
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:14 AM »
sounds like a great idea do they have stainlesssteel clips ,i hate those little bobbers,how the hell do you use buttons

Offline brewmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
  • farm boy
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Just wondering what everyone else uses to mark their depths on their tipups. I personally use buttons, I seem to like these best. :tipup:
One guy said to use alligator clips sounds quick ,which is better than freezing your fingers off,I use the little bobbers but they sometimes dont come off quick,i fish at different depths every week and need a line marker i can adjust fast ,plus you can clip them on your jacket for storage as your making sets,would like to know about stainlesssteel alligator clips though so they wont rust

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2007, 11:43 AM »
I use small non lead sinkers (lead is illegal in VT now).

I like them because they are easy to remove and adjust.

The rubber band thing sounds like a good idea since it seems easier to just slide it up or down.

Used buttons in the past, but always had problems with them freezing up or if the line twists just a little it is a major headache.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.