Author Topic: Invisa leaders  (Read 4255 times)

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Invisa leaders
« on: Sep 11, 2006, 04:22 PM »
Just wondering about the in-visa leaders and what your thoughts were .
I use iron silk for leaders now but was going to give the in-visa leader a try on my tips for pike !
Any Thoughts ?

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Invisa leaders
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2006, 04:35 PM »
they work good ONCE for pike, after you have a good fight with a toothy one they pigtail on you :tipup:

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2006, 04:36 PM »
they work good ONCE for pike, after you have a good fight with a toothy one they pigtail on you :tipup:
Kind of what I thought they would do 1
Not enough material to hold up to a good essox .

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2006, 06:34 PM »
Arch is right, but most steel leaders will suffer the same fate. I use them open water and ice and like them. They "disappear" in the water pretty good, I just wish the snap at the lure was a little smaller.

Dan

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2006, 06:37 PM »
yeah, i still like them though because they are pretty cheap and they work great, so unless your catching 100 pike a year you can get away with buying a bulk amount of them for a low amount of cash :tipup:

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2006, 07:29 PM »
Steel leaders all the way...I do prefer the black material versus the stainless and if possible I get the ones with the cross lock snap on them rather than the cheap "u" type clasp...Esox

Now if you are fishing the crystal clear, pristine waters of Colorado.... :woot: :woot:
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2006, 10:18 PM »
Steel leaders all the way...I do prefer the black material versus the stainless and if possible I get the ones with the cross lock snap on them rather than the cheap "u" type clasp...Esox

Now if you are fishing the crystal clear, pristine waters of Colorado.... :woot: :woot:
Thats what I used until last season but went to iron silk for the transparent look .
I think I'm going to change back to a steel this season thats why I asked about the in visa leader to see if anyone has an opinion about them being any better than a regular leader .

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2006, 08:10 AM »
I am thinking about making up some of my own with that Malin No kink Boa wire?  I think thats whats it's called at least, it supposed to be great stuff...

I tried some 30 pound mono last year when I was having little success in the pike biting, and they produced more pike for about one week, and then when I was running my traps half with wire and half with mono..there was no difference in flags produced, so I went back to wire and stayed with it.

I don't have any of the packaging left, but it almost seems like I have the 30 pound test wire leaders....Esox

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2006, 08:53 AM »

Nice... some long memories around here.  ;D
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2006, 09:05 AM »
Nice... some long memories around here.  ;D

You don't know the half of it Bud....

PIKEGUY

« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2006, 11:47 AM »
You don't know the half of it Bud....

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

That's a good thing  ;D

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2006, 03:00 PM »
I started using Malin 7 strand stainless steel wire.  I took the wire off of my dipsy rods from trolling and used it last year.  It is great because you can tie knots with the wire and you do not need a snap.  I tie a loop at one end and then the hook at the other.  It is thin and strong. 

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2006, 04:25 AM »
i have also used Tyger knottable steel leaders and cortland toothy critter with good results

Offline Holewatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • in a trance watching the flag
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2006, 06:24 AM »
 :o  Long memories no such thing, I keep a log of what I used, time of day or night, type of bait or lure, and type of presitation. I know it sound like a lot of work but in the long run you have a wealth of info on what works and what doesn't. I bet if we put all the bits and pieces of info we have together we would hav a pretty good primmer for ice fishing.  What do you think?
I need to go to the bathroom, but it might flip up if I go.

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2006, 11:33 AM »
I started using Malin 7 strand stainless steel wire.  I took the wire off of my dipsy rods from trolling and used it last year.  It is great because you can tie knots with the wire and you do not need a snap.  I tie a loop at one end and then the hook at the other.  It is thin and strong. 

Gambell,
You've told me about this before, I would like you to show me next time I see you. To me it sounds like the way to go!! I hate snaps!

Oh yeah, BTW last night seven pike tore up 3 invisa leaders, and the one on my line is on it's last legs. I would like to try your technique for open water. They are great leaders, but it doesn't take much for them to get the twists and bends.
Off to gander for more of them :-\

Dan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.