Author Topic: What the best brand/model of tip ups to buy?  (Read 29852 times)

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
What the best brand/model of tip ups to buy?
« on: Feb 05, 2003, 11:02 AM »
I have been toying with the idea of trying to use a tipup or to and I was just wonering who makes a decent tipup fairly inexpensive. Like i said never have even used one before. The lake I fish has a good population of waleyes and i think I would like to try get one of "em while I fished for gills and crappie.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
Re: What the best brand/model of tip ups to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2003, 02:36 PM »
Man are you missing out. You get what you pay for like anything else but Beaver Dams are pretty hard to beat,especially in below zero temps thy are smooth. Polars are cheaper but now instead of metal and wood. Plastic and plastic. I still can't believe you have never used one,crazy!
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2003, 03:46 PM »
Where can you buy the beaver dam tip ups?
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2003, 07:34 PM »
I know JT but what can I say I'm still kinda wet behind the ears. Thanks I'll look into them.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2003, 12:08 AM »
polar tip ups are good i have used mine for 8 years with no trouble they have had every thing from perch to large pike on em and still work and they are plastic and metal they do not freez up and are fine for the price. altho the beaver dam is a very classy tip up and also worth the money but to start out i would go with a few polars.

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2003, 08:52 AM »
asphalt_kid :'(

If you are going to target walleyes the best tip-up you can get is an Igloo Thermal Trap.  They will run you about 20 bucks apeice.  They are a tipup and hole cover all in one.  Plus they keep your hole from freezing over and keep unwanted light out.  This, of coarse, is only the opinion of one humble man.  I'm sure someone will disagree with me.

Just my .02!

Eric
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2003, 09:46 AM »
thankz guys I am going to go to cabelas or gander moutain and check em all out. Thanks again.

T_and_D_Pike

« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2003, 09:55 AM »
I fish with wooden tip ups they were 6 or 7 dollars each and they have never given me any trouble.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2003, 05:25 PM »
well fish It will not be me.  I use the fabril thermal  tip ups and love them.  have never had any problems with them unless you use a 10 inch augar.  then they are too small.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2003, 07:26 AM »
What about my six inch lazer is it too small for tip ups?

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2003, 07:34 AM »
no i use a six with my polars no problem the only time it stinks is when you get that big pike to the hole and it wont fit!

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2003, 01:18 PM »
IMHO the best tipups are the magnetic pop-up tip-ups.  They are 100% windproof, freezeproof, have adjustable trip and adjustable drag.  They store very small, are light and since they are plastic and aluminum, they never rot or need repair.

If you've never seen them, go here: http://www.peterson-outdoors.com/POPUPTIPUP.htm

I've used them for 15 years and I've never, ever had a problem.  Only downside:  they are expensive and are not available everywhere.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2003, 04:19 PM »
My comment about being too small was that the tip up is too small for a 10 1/4 " augar.  I don't think a 6" is too small just depends.  I use a 7 1/4" and have never caught a fish that I could not get threw the hole.  

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2003, 04:47 AM »
Ok I am on my way to try and find some tipups.  Gotta expand my horizons I guess. Thanks for all the info.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2003, 07:47 AM »
Buy a couple and try them and the ones you don't like you can sell,but I think confidence in the ones that you choose plays a big role.I use home made ones and would'nt trade them for 20 store boughts just because I have confidence in the fact that they work and work well.Just my 2 cents....

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2003, 11:37 AM »
I would say that the Polar Thermal Tip Up and the Wind Class and my fav's. That's my 3 cents!
Morrocco Mole,,, :'( :'(
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline jackcraps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Jacktraps are over priced fire wood.  Save your money and get something else. 

Butler traps,  are way better.  Or even a heritage laker.   Kittery trading post has them on season end closeout prices.

Offline allstar617

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:29 PM »
INDIAN HILLS
ALL THE WAY!!!! check them out

http://www.indianhillicetraps.com

Offline allstar617

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:35 PM »

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 03, 2013, 11:11 PM »
I've only been ice fishing for about 4 years now and have been slowly adding to my gear. Got the sled, the rod or two, jigs, skimmer, auger(elbow grease powered) and warm clothes. Thinking next purchase is tip ups. I live in NE Wyoming and am looking for tip-ups to meat my needs. Only problem is I don't really know what I need. I'm pretty much sold on Jack Traps for their rave reviews, fit and fishness...sorry finish, as well as just appearing to me based on my research to be a very well made lifetime tip-up. I plan on using them to fish for pike and large walleye mostly. Sure would like it if they can be multi use, or set up that way, to fish crappie and other pan fish too. Just wanna catch fish ya know :) Leaning toward the 26inch standard. Line and how to rig one i'm clueless though. Color line? I'm pretty lost on all the details actually. Any and all help is appreciated. P.S. if i'm not asking to much what are your thoughts here...If santa is good to me this year should he get me a fish finder(Marcum,vexlar,etc) a hut, or a gas auger? Thank you for your help.
A group of ice fishermen is a chatter or chill, although the term loony is often used, particularly by wives of ice fishermen.

~ Patrick F. McManus in The Grasshopper Trap

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 03, 2013, 11:18 PM »
I really prefer the polar style in our wind.  You can easily see the fish spooling the line and if your fish are finicky you can spool some line off while lifting the tip up out of the hole. 

I have fished pathfinder in 40+ winds for trout and seen many people get frustrated by wind flags.  With the polar tipups you can nearly eliminate wind flags with that style tip up.
Don

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 03, 2013, 11:23 PM »
Thanks I'll check those out. How about how to rig one, set one up? I'm not completely clueless, I just appreciate wisdom from those who've done it.
A group of ice fishermen is a chatter or chill, although the term loony is often used, particularly by wives of ice fishermen.

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 03, 2013, 11:37 PM »
Frabill thermal tip-ups! The hole doesn't freeze and the flag doesn't pop when it is windy out. I use tip up line ( 30-40lb ) with a 15lb, 3 foot fluorocarbon leader at the end. I use size 4 VMC sure set treble hooks and I rig it to where it is a quick-strike rig.

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 03, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Thanks RWD12. I assume you hook up a minnow, then what spool out line to a certain depth and set the trigger? Different depths for different tip-ups in an area?

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 04, 2013, 12:02 AM »
I have fished with guys that use tip ups for years. Last year was my first experience trying to run them by myself. Here's a couple tips that might help you to not make the same mistakes I did in my first season trying.

1. Put a split shot or small bobber on the line where it meets the line guide after you have it set to the right depth. Makes it easier to re-set them.
2. Be careful and deliberate when you reel the line back on the spool at the end of the day. If you get careless, the line can go on loose and really make a mess. I ended up having to cut mine off and re-spool them.
3. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR HOLES CLEAN! I watched my trigger spinning like crazy while trying to chip away the ice so I could pull the tip-up.

Those are the three biggest mistakes I made last season. Hopefully you are smarter than I am.  :tipup:
keep yer stick on the ice.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 04, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Buy some cheap ones first and see what YOU like personally.  Then once you're sure, spend the money on the real nice ones that work best for you. 

You know what really sucks?  Is when you have the nicest most expensive tip-ups out there and the guy with the 5-dollar throw-away tip-up lands the biggest fish!!

Offline RWD12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 04, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Thanks RWD12. I assume you hook up a minnow, then what spool out line to a certain depth and set the trigger? Different depths for different tip-ups in an area?
I usually use shiners or suckers to put on my tip-ups. Also, I just use my Marcum to find the depth. If I am fishing for walleyes, I will drop it down anywhere from the bottom to close to 2 feet  off. Now, if you are fishing for pike... I'd say anywhere from 3-5 feet off the bottom since pike's eyes are on the top of their heads so they are looking up.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 04, 2013, 10:14 AM »
Just bought some more of the frabill thermal tip ups w/lil shiner light on redrock for 11.95

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 04, 2013, 01:24 PM »

Yes you need to set them, and set them RIGHT!

I have gotten where I do not use a weight but I would recommend it till you get a system down and under stand the finer tuning of tip up presentation.

Typical tip up setup.  Few split shots above a hook, this will allow the minnow to swim around some and entice the fish into striking.

Proper depth.  Place your heavy weight clipped to the hook and send it down.  remove all slack from the line at the top of the water.  This means your hook is on the bottom.  Now pull it up how ever far you want it off the bottom.  Lets say 1 foot.  But you are not done.  Look at your tipup and see how far that spool will be down in the water, you need to bring up that much more line.  Now clip a small bobber on to the line.  This is your set point of 1 foot off bottom, or 2 or 3, or where ever you have set it. 

The bobber will tell you a few things.  Did the fish pull much line or it hit it and drop it. 

Depth is different for fish your going after.  That is something that will take time to learn.

As for tipup style I said earlier polar style for me gives me the least amount of wind flags and here is why.   On a windy day place the tipup in the hole parallel to the wind.  Now place the flag between the up right and the upwind side.  That part is important.  When the wind blows hard it will blow the flag against the upright and not trigger a wind flag.   Another tip is if it is extremely windy you can wrap the flag around the wire and use a rubber band so it is not flopping around in the wind.  but you need to be close enough to see them go up.

I have mostly used my tipups for perch fishing.  And trout.  So I have them set up with 10# Berkley big game and just tie the hook on the line.  #6 gold Aberdeen is my go to hook, others will have their favorites as well.  I like the light wired hook as it will not kill smaller minnows, and face it live bait is not cheap in Wyoming.

Fishing for pike is probably going to warrant steel leaders and heavier line.  I will be setting up 6 new tipups this year just for ice fishing over night with limited line on them so they can't spool off 300 feet of mono.
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 04, 2013, 01:26 PM »
If your up for it, once pathfinder gets some ice on it and if you want to drive there and meet me I would show you a lot about tipups.  And catch trout doing it.
Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.