Author Topic: Appleton Wind Action Tip-Up  (Read 4785 times)

Offline Ziffle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Appleton Wind Action Tip-Up
« on: Nov 26, 2010, 08:47 AM »
I'm hoping someone here can help me with this Tip Up.  I have two of these which appear to be incomplete. I would like to know what's missing. Perhaps someone has a complete one and can post a picture. I'm interested on how these are to be set up and work.

Appleton Wind Action Tip-Up
Mfg. by Julius H. Apitz
Appleton Wis.

Any information would be appreciated.

Offline eyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Appleton Wind Action Tip-Up
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2010, 12:46 PM »
*I have a buddy that has them,your missinf a 2X6 block with a rectangle hole in one end to hold them up

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2010, 12:04 PM »

One doesn't really need a block of wood, you can make a mound with the slush out of the hole and place the bottom in it, letting it freeze in.

Offline Ziffle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2010, 04:20 PM »
What is the chain / pin for (right end is cut out, with pin)? Is this to lock it into the wooden base?   Or is this for a flag mechanism?

Thanks

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2010, 01:33 PM »

Your right! There's a third piece of thin wood about two feet long with a heavy wire running the length of it. On the wire, was roughly a one ounce weight that slid from one end to the other. The piece of wood had a series of holes drilled either side of center for adjustment. where the cotter pin would fasten it to the base. One end had the flag the other a finishing nail stuck in the end. When set, the flag end would be down with the weight slid to that end, the end with the nail over the hole, one would tie a loop in the line and hook it on the nail. The top would bob in the wind on the spring steel. When a fish bit it would pull the end with the nail down, the weight would slide to that end keeping the flag end upright.

Offline Ziffle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:59 PM »
  Your right! There's a third piece of thin wood about two feet long with a heavy wire running the length of it. On the wire, was roughly a one ounce weight that slid from one end to the other. The piece of wood had a series of holes drilled either side of center for adjustment. where the cotter pin would fasten it to the base. One end had the flag the other a finishing nail stuck in the end. When set, the flag end would be down with the weight slid to that end, the end with the nail over the hole, one would tie a loop in the line and hook it on the nail. The top would bob in the wind on the spring steel. When a fish bit it would pull the end with the nail down, the weight would slide to that end keeping the flag end upright.

brujharr, thanks for solving my mystery. This is one of the reasons IS is great. Now I need to find a couple of the missing sections.

Thanks again.

Anyone have some they would like to sell?

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2010, 10:23 PM »
My dad had this rig as well. He called his big Bertha! You'll see the name fits as soon as you get your together. I always wanted to use polars as a kid but he would insist on setting big Bertha up first!

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2010, 10:01 AM »
never seen or herd of them befor.

Offline Ziffle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:10 PM »
My dad had this rig as well. He called his big Bertha! You'll see the name fits as soon as you get your together. I always wanted to use polars as a kid but he would insist on setting big Bertha up first!

If anyone has an extra base they're willing to sell, please pm me.

Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.