Author Topic: Best Thermal Tip-Up for 10" Auger Hole?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best Thermal Tip-Up for 10" Auger Hole?
« on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:31 PM »
Hi Everyone.  I use a 10" auger and was wondering which of the thermal tip-ups work best with such a big hole?  Basically, have any given you problems with falling in (maybe on a warm day)?  Or are any of them (Frabill, HT, Clam) a bit wider than the rest?

Looking to buy my first tip ups and wanted to avoid making a mistake.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Best Thermal Tip-Up for 10" Auger Hole?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:58 PM »
I have the Frabill thermo tip ups ...not a big fan of the flag mechanism ...they work but temperamental. Get some good hole cover(closed celliform) take care in cleaning the hole area out and pack them in they work great .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2018, 02:03 PM »
The Clam thermal tip ups were designed for using with up to 10 inch holes so they were designed slightly wider the any of the other thermals on the market today. I have 6 in my gear arsenal along with 12 of the regular non thermal ones but prefer the thermals when it is really cold out.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/bigtooth/tip-ups/trophy-thermal-tip-up.html
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2018, 03:03 PM »
The Clam thermal tip ups were designed for using with up to 10 inch holes so they were designed slightly wider the any of the other thermals on the market today. I have 6 in my gear arsenal along with 12 of the regular non thermal ones but prefer the thermals when it is really cold out.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/bigtooth/tip-ups/trophy-thermal-tip-up.html

I think I could get by with the non-thermals most days, but I don't want to buy a whole bunch of tip ups due to money and room in my sled that I have to drag by hand.  My thought was the thermals should work all days, while the non-thermals would only work most days.  Does that make sense?

Also, I thought that keeping the hole dark might be good for not spooking fish?
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Good hole cover w/any tip will work ..stores ezpz .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:49 PM »
I made my own...bought a few 10" × 1" styrofoam discs and a roll of tool box liner material from Amazon. Cut the liner to fit discs including the outer edge. Attached with Gorilla glue then cut the slot to accommodate tip-up... good to go.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.