Author Topic: burbot rigs?  (Read 4167 times)

Offline jigmaster5000

• Team IceShanty Regular
burbot rigs?
« on: Dec 19, 2006, 09:03 PM »
 :tipup:
Zelus mos planto criminatio

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: burbot rigs?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2006, 11:44 PM »
 My favorite rig for a tipup is a real big piece of smelt, sucker or chub put right on the bottom. I use a  large single heavy wire long shanked hook because they like to swallow it. For a jigging rod i use a medium heavy action rod with 10lb test, jiggin a chartreus swedish pimple with a piece of bait or minnnow. Check your tip-ups often, ive caught so many burbot by checking bait thinkin there was nothin there, they jsut swallow and sit there. Good luck!
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2006, 02:28 PM »
6 lines! = 1 pole + 5 tip-ups ;)

Fish at night using lights on your tip-ups.  Use smelt or herring on the bottom or near bottom.  Nothing complicated indeed!  Use rope for line or thin line, burbot are not picky at night.  2/0 hooks, (try circle or octopus style.)  On your pole, try jigging with a large glow in the dark jig tipped with cut bait.  Make lot's of contact with the bottom adn hold on.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2006, 08:21 PM »
tipup.put a egg sinker above a bearing snap swivel, size 6 snell hook with a chunk of meat a foot from the bottom.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2006, 10:00 PM »
For tip ups, I take a live shiner, partially gut it so the guts are hanging out, and score the sides all up.  Put them right down on bottom and give it a good three feet of slack line.  Caught them anywhere from three feet of water out to about seventy five.  The thirty to fifty foot depth seemed the most productive for both size and numbers of fish.  Sandy bottom seems better than rocky and fish in a spot close to deep water.  This setup is deadly on togue (Lake Trout) during the day and then you don't have to change anything, just wait til dark and the cusk (burbot) bite turns on.  Hope this helps.
-Alec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.