Author Topic: CSI style icefishing...  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Kolby

• IceShanty Rookie
CSI style icefishing...
« on: Jan 07, 2005, 10:24 PM »
I get many crazy thoughts, lets hear your input on this one which is currently happening with me and some walleyes.  I've been catching a few fish in 25 feet of water at the prime time of 30-minutes before dark on a 50-foot deep reservoir. 

The fish have gizzard shad in them as big as 7 inches - these are 16 inch walleyes.  While filleting the fish I have noticed the digestion rate of all the shad is identical.  In other words, the fish I am catching are all eating the same thing and at a distinct earlier time. 

Question:  Has anyone been able to decipher when the walleye had his last meal by the rate at which the shad in his gut are digested?  The shad have no tails or fins, the skin is basically gone and they are all white, the only way to tell that it is a shad and not a turd is the eyes, mouth, and gills can be made out pretty easily.  What do you think? Should I send the shad to the forensics lab. LOL!!!     

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: CSI style icefishing...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2005, 10:28 PM »
I've caught many lake trout w/ partialy digested bait in them, but I've never really paid attention to how far into the digestion phase the bait was.  I think that it is a good idea though.  It seems a little to much thinking for my brain. ???

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2005, 10:49 PM »
i actually have some experience with this, and it takes about 18-24 hours for a walleye to digest fins and skin of an alewife (very similar to a gizzard shad), and another 24 hours for the fish to digest the flesh.

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2005, 12:45 AM »
i actually have some experience with this, and it takes about 18-24 hours for a walleye to digest fins and skin of an alewife (very similar to a gizzard shad), and another 24 hours for the fish to digest the flesh.
[/sub]
how can you say that ???I'm curious to know it :)
i think it take longer then that,walleye don't eat very often.no proof on that ;D

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2005, 06:46 AM »
[/sub]
how can you say that ???I'm curious to know it :)
i think it take longer then that,walleye don't eat very often.no proof on that ;D

IIRC, bigred has some fisheries education, as do I.  I think his estimates might be more accurate for the soft water season, though.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.