Author Topic: first vehicle on the ice  (Read 2253 times)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
first vehicle on the ice
« on: Jan 05, 2005, 11:37 AM »
So has anyone here been the first to drive on lake for the year?have 10 to 11 inches of clear hard ice here and just got 6 plus inches of snow ,so the 1/2 mile trek pulling a trap full of gear is  a killer on the lower back.I  know the area well so i am sure there are no springs in the area i would be driving .from what i have read 8 to 10 inches is good for a small vehicle,i have a small jeep cherokee so i think i will be ok ,but........nervous about been the first one out.should i wait for somone else to go  or wait for more ice?2 degrees here today with colder in the forcast.(BTW,put my 1500 lb shack on 6 inches  last week with no sag).thanks

stump

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
Re: first vehicle on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2005, 11:45 AM »
 :tipup: If ya got that much ice and it is getting colder i wouldnt worrie about it just be smart about it,drive with your window open so you have an exit  :tipup:
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2005, 11:48 AM »
Hey Stumper... This is from the Mass Wildelife Website.  If you have 10 to 11 inches or clear black ice you should be fine.  Make sure you still take all the necessary safety precautions (Flotation device, ice picks, go with a buddie or two, rope, cell phone, etc...)

Ice Thickness
(inches) Permissible Load
(clear, blue, lake ice)
2 One person on foot
3 Group, in single file
5 Group (6-8 people) together
7½ Passenger car (2 ton gross)
8 Light truck (2½ ton gross)
10 Medium truck (3½ ton gross)
12 Heavy truck (7 to 8 ton gross)
15 10 tons
20 25 tons
25 45 tons
30 70 tons

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2005, 01:57 PM »
great info tarbot!at the end of the season we got 36 inches of ice here and i never ever think about going on it with my truck.too scary.(chicken!!! ;D)heard a lot of terrible story :(
be careful stumper we better like to talk to you instead of talking of you ;)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2005, 03:14 PM »
my father used to take our jeep cherokee sport out on 8"-9" on champlain all the time, never had  a problem.
i drive my ranger out once there is 11" or 12" of clear blue.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2005, 07:28 PM »
I was the first one year but I was driving a old dodge ram 50.  I did not really care if it went through.  It was light enough that you could lift the back end up by yourself.  I now drive a F 250 SD 4x4 so I did not even think about trying to be first. ;D

Mr.G

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2005, 08:09 PM »
Stumper - If I remember right you are from South Dakota - correct?  If so there are already people driving on the lakes - most notably Thompson.  I was there on Sunday and was one of about 40 people driving on it.  About 13-14" of good, clear ice.  Southern lakes should be pretty good now with the cold temps.  Was driving a Ford F-150 and there were many suburbans and other full size rigs out there as well.

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2005, 08:13 PM »
My philosophy is never be the first one out and never be the furthest out on early ice. :blink:
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2005, 08:18 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen anyone drive out on the ice here in western co. We get plenty of ice so I wonder why?
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2005, 08:29 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen anyone drive out on the ice here in western co. We get plenty of ice so I wonder why?

It seems to be a western taboo, I have seen maybe 2-3 vehicles on the ice in the 7 years I have lived in Utah and Wyoming.  Many lakes around here have springs in them that cause thinner ice in places.  There was a snow machine that went through about 1/4 mile from me and I was fishing on 15" (a spring).  Personally, I use my snow machines, less replacement costs.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2005, 09:32 PM »
about two weeks ago a confused woman went through the ice here in western pa. the car was in 12' of water with her in it.i had fished that lake the day before 3 to 4 inches of good ice.officals think the woman thought she was in a parking area-there were tire tracks all over the lake right into the hole.very sad
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2005, 06:40 AM »
well,im headed out to the lake .hope i see tracks ,but im sure i will be the first.hopefully i wil guve a report in a couple hr."hot bit only last an hr then no fish till tonight"later................. ...

stump

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2005, 06:50 AM »
NH checkin in. having a very very bad winter this year. not many places on the main bodies of water frozen.  by this time last year, most if not all the lakes in NH were frozen. we could also drive out to our bobhouse in the 3rd week of jan and had a chevy silverado, a gmc suburban and a chevy blazer at our house all at one time
(24")
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2005, 10:52 AM »
good to go,went out and drilled holes 100 ft apart"12""of ice.drove past the hole and very little water movement..thanks for the info guys!!!

stump

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2005, 04:16 PM »
SIX SOLID INCHES IS GOOD ENOUGH

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:40 PM »
parked 10 ft away from my shack and drilled a hole inbetween.water gushed out of the hole putting 1 inch of water on top of the ice.drove jeep 50 ft away and drilled another hole,no water came threw.hmmmmmmm.no popping or cracking heard while driving  so thats a good sign.sure got sum "are you and idiot looks"lol

stump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.