Author Topic: Anyone use a camcorder to record what your Aqua Vu sees?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was going to try to rig my Aqua Vu to my camcorder.  I can make the AV monitor display what the camcorder is seeing, but cant make the camcorder see what the AV see's.  I dont think my camcorder has an input, just an output.  Am I screwed?

NAD42

Re: Anyone use a camcorder to record what your Aqua Vu sees?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2005, 04:24 PM »
just make sure you keep the camcorder warm...or all you'll get is scratchy video for the first few minutes...bigred can probably help ya more on this

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2005, 05:54 PM »
No but I can tell you that's next on my list after my Fish Trap Pro.  Maybe next year but it would be cool to record stuff that I see and share it with ya'll.  Especially the crappie I saw on camera New Year's eve that had to be somewhere between 16" and 18".  He didn't bite but came through with a group of others and one of them did bite and was about 9".  He was at least twice that.  

Slipbob.  Good point about comparing a crappie on the camera that you caught with one approximately in the same viewing area.  I think this is a fair estimation of size.  I was told by some "veteran Aqua Vu users" that it is very difficult to judge size when viewing.  Kinda like when somebody holds a fish out from their body and a pic is taken.  The fish looks significantly larger than it actually is.  I would also think, if the fish is close enough to the jig, you should be able to clearly judge a dink from a jumbo?  What do you think?
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

NAD42

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2005, 06:03 PM »
No but I can tell you that's next on my list after my Fish Trap Pro.  Maybe next year but it would be cool to record stuff that I see and share it with ya'll.  Especially the crappie I saw on camera New Year's eve that had to be somewhere between 16" and 18".  He didn't bite but came through with a group of others and one of them did bite and was about 9".  He was at least twice that.  

Slipbob.  Good point about comparing a crappie on the camera that you caught with one approximately in the same viewing area.  I think this is a fair estimation of size.  I was told by some "veteran Aqua Vu users" that it is very difficult to judge size when viewing.  Kinda like when somebody holds a fish out from their body and a pic is taken.  The fish looks significantly larger than it actually is.  I would also think, if the fish is close enough to the jig, you should be able to clearly judge a dink from a jumbo?  What do you think?
I've seen schools of lakers,15-20 or so that were all in the 18-22 inch range...the big boys(28''+) seem to travel solo or in groups of 2-3, you can tell the difference in size...that's from my experiences anyways...always seems that when 1 gets a 28 incher, another comes out of the hole shortly after...

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2005, 07:09 PM »
Put your camera selector switch to the "play" selection. Push the record then the play buttons. Some units require that you do this at the same time.

Let me know if that helps.

OOPS!...yes the camcorder needs an input. What make/model do you have? I'm guessing it's an older analog type?

P Gottshall

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2005, 07:21 PM »
Charman03,

My camcorder also only has an output.  Some higher-end units do have an input, but not all.

Paul

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2005, 07:55 PM »

Sorry to get off topic here from the original camcorder question but fish size is readily apparent when you have multiple members of the same species present in the field of view.  Provided they are all approximately the same distance from the camera and even if not you still can easily tell that one fish is a lot larger than the others it's with.  That's how you select your target, say among a group of perch, you can get your bait away from the peewees and try to lure the bigger one of the group.  That's what's cool about the camera and you just can't get that from a sonar unit.

Good info Slipbob.  I like to look at it as they (sonar and camera) complement each other very well...........watch the vex (or marcum) to spot fish in the area, then switch your eyes to the camera and watch them check out your presentation and learn what turns them off and what makes them bite! ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2005, 07:57 PM »
my parents had two camcorders, both with video outputs, and neither recorded off of the aqua-vu.  i went out, and bought a digital camcorder specifically with an input jack (samsung scd80). it also  connects to my computer with a firewire cable...the whole deal was a breeze, and i had no problems figuring out how to record off of the aqua-vu, get it on my computer, edit it, and upload it some webspace i have.  The unit was not rated for use in very cold temperatures, so whenever i recorded with it, i did so inside of a heated shack, and to keep water from splashing on the unit i recorded with it in its padded case with the wire running to the aqua-vu.  It was great until someone stole my digital camcorder during a party - that was the end of my recording privledges >:(

and baginwal, the sonar and camera compliment each other perfectly, its just that the aqua-vu is a considerable amount of weight to pull around, if there is snow on the ice, i usually dont take the camera if i am walking it, any kind of mechanized assistance, and the camera is right there with me.  In some places, like thick weeds or extremely shallow water, the camera is actually a much better tool than the vex.

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2005, 03:32 AM »
sorry to hear that bigred,hope you find the culprit and use him for bait. I have a sony 8 mill with 540 zoom with no vid input , with out vid input you cannot record from an aqua-vu unless you aim the cam at the screen on the vu, and that realy does not work.someday i will upgrade to digital. good luck to all
walk the hard water side.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2005, 09:32 AM »
Guys, just a little further info.  My camcorder is a panasonic gs15 digital.  I believe it only has a a/v output.  I thought it would be able to record from the vu, but maybe it doesnt have the input that I need.  Anyone else have any experience with the GS15 digital camcorder from panasonic?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2005, 10:03 AM »
Charlie, I looked up the specs on that camera and it does not have an analog video input. Here's where I looked-->  Panasonic PV-GS15

You can just set the camcorder on something and point it at the screen of your aqua-vu. Don't know how it will look though.
Ken                                          

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2005, 11:14 AM »
thanks

tstelick

« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2005, 03:03 PM »
I bought a digital 8 camcorder when we needed a new camcorder just to make sure it works with the aquavu, works great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.