Author Topic: LOCKED JAW  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
LOCKED JAW
« on: Jan 06, 2005, 02:44 AM »
I was wondering how many of you have this problem. During open water the local reservoir is great fishing, after ice up they get lock jaw! extremely tough fishing.

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
Re: LOCKED JAW
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2005, 07:11 AM »
Actually on our opening day pond its just the opposite. The trout dont bite that well during open water but opening day they slam all morning long!!!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:33 AM »
Normally here, the first ice signals the trout to kick in a feeding frenzy....they gulp whatever you put down.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:50 AM »
Big Ice : i have a handfull of ponds and lakes like that by me, and i just dont ice fish them at all...if the fishing sucks on a regular basis, im not going to waste my time.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2005, 06:02 PM »
There are some anomalies like that out there. In one lake in colorado, taylor reservoir, there is a lot of northern pike. There has never been a northern pike iced there according to fisherman I have talked to and the baitshop guy. Now, pike in colorado are almost impossible to catch icefishing anyway, but it can be done at any lake except taylor reservoir. They say the pike go deep and dormat.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2005, 07:37 PM »
Big Ice,
I have fished Keyhole a whole bunch, with a bunch of different guys that"use to" catch eyes through the ice out there. I am still trying to find them.
As you said, open water is awsome... when the ice is on, good luck.
I am off tomorrow and I think I will go and humiliate myself...again...
I love it out there because I am driving 30 miles instead of 60 or 70...
I feel your pain...
Wyoming Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2005, 08:35 PM »
I have seen this and quit trying to figure it out.  I have learned that's why they call it fishing not catching.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Kolby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:07 PM »
Two questions:

what species are you targeting?

How clear is the water?

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:27 PM »
 I experienced this last year, we had a place that was loaded with BIg i mean BIG crappies (one topping 16.5") so we decided to go ice fish it, couldnt get one to bite for anything in the world, the perch and sunnies still hit but the crappies wouldnt. A friend of mine went there with his aqua vu and noticed they would swim right past the jig not even interested, he tried minnows and everything not one would bite?
Jason

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2005, 10:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. It is a intresting dilemma. Creo the fish I am trying to catch is walleye and for the most part the water is clear. Wyoming Ice Keyhole is what I'm taking about. I have been fishing KH scene 75. I can only remember two years it was hot through the ice. I believe it was because a mass die off of gizzard shad. This year so far I have fished it six times 4 before Christmas 2 to 3 inches of ice I did really good, largest eye was 27 1/2" but what was interesting i caught 8 catfish from 4 to 8lbs. After Christmas I went twice only 1 cat. I will be going tomorrow also, I won't be out there until the afternoon. Give me an idea where you will be and I will stop by and say hello.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2005, 07:47 AM »
Big Ice,
I am heading out around noon to look around and maybe try to find some crappie til late afternoon. Then will probably set up on Pat's Point for the evening (I think).
I will have a sled, an Otter Village (purple), and a black Australian Shepard dog.
Tight Lines,
Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.