Author Topic: I love this thing...  (Read 2948 times)

Offline jrsue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
I love this thing...
« on: Jan 05, 2005, 09:34 AM »
End of last season I picked up a Berkley Lip Grip tool. Didnt get to use it last year, but after lipping 3 pike and one 10lb walleye, I will never be without one. Pike especially are allways a hassle to get out of the hole. With this thing you simply guide the fish  towards the hole and while hes still in the water slide jaws over his lip and release the trigger, bang youve got him so solid he'll never get off. and then have your needlnose in your other hand, pop out the hooks, either drop him back down the hole or toss him out on the ice. I landed 3 pike 20 to 30 inches and didnt touch one of them.

I got the 12in model for around 25 bucks. I keep it cliped to a seam on the  trap or if outside on a bucket its in my carharts . believe me this is a must have. I even use to lip perch. simply because i dont get my gloves wet and yuk.

PIKEGUY

Re: I love this thing...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2005, 11:50 AM »
Is it easy on the inside of their mouths??  ??? sounds good but don't want to do any damage

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2005, 12:22 PM »
I use a similar tool called a Boga Grip. It works the same but has a calibrated, certified scale built in. They come in a 15, 30 and 60 lb model. I initially got mine for salt water fishing but it is extremely handy for walleye and pike coming through a hole.

Offline jrsue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2005, 12:33 PM »
I release most fish i catch and have allways taken great care not harm fish. i would say this method is very easy on the fish. to begin with, the fish never gets dropped, second by not haveing to handle the fish your not removing any of the fishs protective slim, and thirdly the jaws are not sharp, but rounded and smooth edged, its not that the jaws grip so tight ,its that they close and dont allow the thicker lip to slip thru.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2005, 01:36 PM »
Sounds good then. How much do they run?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2005, 01:41 PM »
I've had mine for 3-4 years now. It's a great unit for the price. Here is a pic of mine with the lanyard.

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2005, 08:18 PM »
Sounds like a great tool, I have seen them in the stores but never heard of one used.  This may be the next thing on the list. ::)
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2005, 03:54 AM »
I have lost many fish at the hole. I don't like to gaff them unless I am going to keep them. I can't tell you how many cuts I have gotten reaching down in the hole and grabbing the back fin of an eye, I usually will gill bigger fish but the Berkley and boga grip sounds like a investment. Thanks for the info.

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2005, 06:12 AM »
Nice tool have seen a lot of those in yard sales now will probably see none
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline wkules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lookin' for EYES!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2005, 10:53 PM »
I have seen these used before and have been wanting one, but Blaine where did you get the Boga? I can't seem to find one like that with the scale.
Bobbers Down and Flags Up !!!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2005, 01:53 PM »
All Boga brand grippers have scales. Cabelas sells them.

Offline oldstuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2005, 05:29 PM »
I've had mine for 3-4 years now. It's a great unit for the price. Here is a pic of mine with the lanyard.
(Image removed from quote.)

Bob D,
How did you attach the phone cord to the butt end of the gripper?  Is it glued? Can't see it from this vantage point.  I use the same gripper on my Kayak in the spring, but have not attached a lanyard yet.  Slick idea.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2005, 07:13 PM »
I bet Bob popped the lanyard in with a knotted end where there is a small hole in the rubber handle ;)

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2005, 07:19 PM »
I removed the rubber on the handle and attached the wire around the pin that goes accross the tube for the gripper. It's very solid. We have towed 50" striped bass with it hooked to the boat. ;)

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2005, 08:10 PM »
I removed the rubber on the handle and attached the wire around the pin that goes accross the tube for the gripper. It's very solid. We have towed 50" striped bass with it hooked to the boat. ;)

Does your model have the built in scale? I already have a digital Rapala scale and don't need to pay the extra for an analog one. Where did you get yours? I've been mulling over getting one of these for a couple off years now and maybe now's the time!

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2005, 11:01 PM »
I've been thinking about getting one of these, but who has the better one?  When I spend the money on something, I like to buy quality, so it will last me awhile.  It would also be nice to have a scale built right in as well.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2005, 02:51 AM »
Mine is a Berkley and does not have a scale on it. You can get them in a lot of fishing shops, box stores, cabelas, etc. They are under $30. I think the cheapest Boga is about $120. I've never had a problem with mine in the 3-4 years I've had it. I have heard of some guys having trouble with big catfish bending the one like I have when they start twisting, but that could be an operator issue.

Offline jrsue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2005, 03:19 PM »
Unless you need the scale, the berkley is all you need it will easily handle good size pike, and even small fish to keep you from having to handle them.

if i'd get another one i may go for the berkley with the scale, i think around $50 to 60

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.