Author Topic: How far away are your closest lakes?  (Read 6118 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
How far away are your closest lakes?
« on: Jan 03, 2005, 05:22 PM »
I am just wondering how far away are your guys' closest lakes to your house that you icefish. (time taken by driving.)
Well, I have a lake right near my house like 2 minute drive, but all it has are small stocker rainbows. It also has bluegill and bass, but the CDOW won't manage it for them. I also have a slab crappie and numbers catfish lake 20 min from my house but it won't freeze this year because we just had rain. It  was barely fishable before 12/27, but now has almost no ice. So the next closest lakes I have are 40 min away. Then I have a plethora of lakes 1 hr away. (I go to these most often) 
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: How far away are your closest lakes?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2005, 06:15 PM »
  I have a pond 1/2 mile from my house. It's about 20 acer's, it has Crappie's, Blue gill, Bass, Bullhead's, Perch, plus some golden shinner's witch I keep for Channel Cat's in the open water season. The nice thing is it frezzes up early and thaw's late. I can put my heavy cloth on at home and drive over in a few min's. The other day mother nature called, :o I just left everthing there and went home did what I had to do. ::) Plus it's good when the weather is bad.  It's not the best lake around, but it dose take the edge off when I dont feel like driveing to far. :-\
Always keep your line wet!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2005, 06:48 PM »
im 45 minutes away from everything good and 5 hours away from everything great !!

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2005, 06:51 PM »
I travel an hour and fifteen min to get to sodus and an hour to get to black lake, Sandy pond is in my back yard.
I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2005, 06:52 PM »
I'm in the same situation as billditrite .... 45 minutes from good and 4 hours from great !!
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2005, 06:53 PM »
3 hours from good and 6 hours from GREAT! ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2005, 07:10 PM »
I'm 50 minutes to 2 hours most the lakes I fish

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2005, 07:11 PM »
2 minutes from Canandaigua Lake...  20 min from Seneca Lake.. Lake trout capital of the world an perch KING!!!!, half hour from Honeoye(big gills crappie and som3 eyes), 45 minutes from Conesus and Cayuga lakes... Conesus with nice gills and big pike...   1 hour from Sodus and I-bays and steelie / salmon creeks, half hour from Keuka Lake awesome perch lake half hour from West river... AWESOME panfish and bullheading place in spring!!!!!!   IS this heaven?????

NNNNOOO

There isn't any ice... Grump do you have an extra bed room in your shanty I need a winter home!!!!! lol ;D :D :flex: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2005, 07:20 PM »
2 miles at the end of my road, lies a 3900 acre lake, home of the giant perch & gills, and great walleye fishing...Deep Creek Lake!

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2005, 07:31 PM »
25 minutes to the closest and 6 in less than an hour.  To put it in perspective, the nearest stop light is 65 miles away and the nearest Wal Mart is 100 miles.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2005, 07:32 PM »
my most fished lake is right across the road from me  ;D

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline Big_Ray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishing rules
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2005, 07:43 PM »
   I`m an hour or less from most of the lakes and ponds I like to fish, from togue & salmon to pic. & bass, and no #@%#*&$%$ ice :-[ 
Ray

Jeff Kimball

« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2005, 07:46 PM »
5 mins from Kilarney Lake (Fredericton NB) stocked with brookies but all I ever catch is bass
25 mins from Scotch Lake (Mactaquack NB) havn't fished it yet ???
1 hour to East Grand and North Lakes (Maine/NB border) Salmon and everything else

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2005, 08:16 PM »
i am 5 minutes from something...awesome ice fishing for everything within 45 minutes.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2005, 08:41 PM »
Not close enough!!  30mins.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2005, 08:45 PM »
 A minute WALK to THE KING, LAKE GEORGE (literally like a minute i've timed it) 9 minute drive to where i fish on the king.  ;D ;D
Jason

Offline JohnPorter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2005, 09:12 PM »
I am 10 miles from a good lake and 20 miles from a great lake with brookies,landlock salmon and smelts. The good lake has smelts,smallmouth bass(4+lbs are common), brookies and a few salmon...
                  John
MY COMPETITION STANDS NO CHANCE !!!!!!!

RavenFyreWolf

« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2005, 11:24 PM »
Well lets see..... I have a nice pond in my backyard which has crappie, bluegills, and bullheads in it. Lake Diamond is about 5 mins away. Lake Cadillac and Lake Mitchell is about 15 mins away. The three lakes all have great ice fishing spots in them. Was just in Cadillac today and saw that they were pulling pike, crappie, and bluegills out of there.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2005, 11:31 PM »
1/2 mile from good fishing. Lots of great lakes within 30 mile radius. 2&1/2 hrs from fishing heaven.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2005, 12:21 AM »
there are well over 1,000 lakes in vilas county alone...none of them more than an hour away
my permanant shack sits on the Rainbow Flowage a 1/2 hour away but Catfish Lake on the Eagle River chain of 28 lakes is at the end of my street
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

iceman480

« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2005, 01:01 AM »
I have my favorite Lake just 15 mins away great walleye and Crappie lake.

hali-man

« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2005, 05:34 AM »
I'll trade you a couple lakes and a pond plus an six pack of your favorite beer for some ice!!
FM

Me too! I'm 5 minutes from Silver, but that isn't helping much these days... >:(

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2005, 08:25 AM »
I could almost hit it with a rock. About 2 mins by snowmobile.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Lottie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pa. Goat Boy member
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:26 AM »
From home my favorite is 5 min.  the Pack is 10 Min. the oppisite direction. from work the Pack is 75 yards. its tough working when you see shantys on the ice.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:33 AM »
Irondequoit Bay (Lake Ontario) 10 minutes;Sodus Bay (Lake Ontario) 30 minutes. Seneca, Cayuga, Canandaigua, Honeoye, Conesus, Hemlock, Canadice Lakes, all about 1 hour. Oneida Lake <2 hours.
Pete Lewis

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:44 AM »
5 city blocks from 1 lake.  The 3 lakes I fish most are within 15 minutes.  I occasionally go an hour or so away to fish.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Living on the prairies means that the closest lakes are usually storage reservoirs for household water. My closest lake is a small crappie lake about 1 1/2 hr away, and pike and walleye lakes are 1 1/2 - 2 hr away.  No lakes close, except we have trophy walleye fishing in the Red River about 1 hr north of my house, which makes up for it.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:07 AM »
I have to walk 25 steps out of my cellar door for bass, perch, pickerel and trout.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2005, 11:46 AM »
One lake I see from my front window(perch, pike, & burbot).  Another has me fishing within 5 minutes of leaving the house(perch, walleye, & pike).  Another 5 are within 45 minutes(perch, walleye, & pike).  Many others(at least 20)are within 1-1/2 hrs.(walleye, perch, pike, & lake trout).  They all have whites, but it is their good fortune that I do not fish for them!!! ;D

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2005, 02:14 PM »
I'm about 5 min from a river with a dam, which has walleye, pike and catfish. I don't ice fish this because of the moving water. There is a local lake about 135 acres, with alot of pike and a few crappie, which is about 30 min away. Another decent reservoir is 30-45 min away in the opposite direction. Ft. Peck is about an 1 1/2-2 hrs away.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.