Author Topic: Lead tackle bans  (Read 783 times)

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lead tackle bans
« on: Feb 09, 2023, 01:22 PM »
Minnesota is possibly going to push a lead tackle ban through, curious how states who already have bans are handling enforcement. Seems like it'd be a difficult thing to enforce.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lead tackle bans
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2023, 01:43 PM »
Interesting. I wonder why Water Gremlin is still allowed to operate in MN after years of poisoning their employees & families.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2023, 01:47 PM »
Minnesota is possibly going to push a lead tackle ban through, curious how states who already have bans are handling enforcement. Seems like it'd be a difficult thing to enforce.
They don't go out looking to bust people using them. They just won't allow them to be sold in stores any more.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2023, 01:54 PM »
So far the only "test" I've seen performed in NH is to eyeball them, I have heard that some officers will squeeze the jig between a finger and thumbnail to see if the jig is soft enough to dent like lead. They may have other methods to test that I am unaware of but for the most part it's more of an honor system thing.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2023, 02:13 PM »
I live in Maine, and we have a lot of restrictions on lead fishing gear.  Like someone else said they discourage retailers from selling non confirming lead equipment, but I still see it for sale in some places. 

When I have been stopped by wardens in the outdoors, they ask to look in your tackle box but haven't actually handled anything of mine.  Most of the time unless you are belligerent or unreasonable, I've never had a problem with them.  In at least one case the warden who stopped me gave me a tip on where to fish to get into the trout.  If I was drunk, belligerent or trying to hide something I might have had a closer lead inspection, but they don't seem to be out to nail everyone.  I suspect eventually all the lead stuff will be gone but I doubt everyone checked every tackle box to make sure all their lead sinkers were removed. 

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2023, 02:48 PM »
I've seen Walmart and even Scheels have illegal fishing gear on their shelves, it'll be interesting how things shake out if it passes. I don't own too much lead for ice fishing but open water is another story. Also will be difficult for those who make their own jigs

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2023, 06:12 PM »
retailers here in MA aren't supposed to be selling lead jigs for freshwater fishing, and weights under 1 oz. when I'm being checked by EPO, that ask me if I'm using lead and have looked at my terminal tackle, but have never handled it. 

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2023, 06:51 PM »
I fish new hampshire most of the time  only twice have I ever been asked to submit gear for inspection, once  for proper size and rigging of cusk gear, the other  was to be sure there was only 1 hook point on a jig with bait,I've never been asked about lead. in my home state of Mass,  I haven't  seen a warden on the ice in 25 years or more.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:31 PM »
It was my understanding ghat it is enforced on the retail side, and don't allow them to carry more once current stock is depleted. Obviously we'll see how it plays out. While it doesn't hurt my feelings any, I do still have a stock of lead of lead weights that I'd prefer to go through honestly rather than have them end up in a landfill anyway just so I can buy more to carry with me now
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2023, 03:37 AM »
We owned a small store here in NY for 20 years, selling gas and being a stone throw from the harbor, we worked very closely with the DEC. When the lead ban went into effect here, we could not sell lead weights. You can still use them just can't sell them. There are a few bodies of water that are lead free only.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.