Author Topic: Rotary Derby  (Read 7049 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rotary Derby
« on: Feb 07, 2023, 09:09 AM »
It seems like this year has had the least amount of chatter about derby... I get that the ice sucks on big water but still plenty to walk around on.
I'm taking Friday and Monday off... Gonna stay in my lane and look for Perch and Slime darts. After seeing a few pics of shoreline storm damage from a buddy I know the spot is good or at least good enough lol. All the gear has been gone through and ready to go. Still need to grab a small bottle of the good Dr. and bait but other than that I'm ready. Looking forward to some good times and good people to share them with...
So, what's up folks? Who's ready? Who's tapping out?

Would be nice to be able to run whatever we want like last year but I'm not sure I'm feeling the 1500 pound gear train this year lol...

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Dan in NH

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rotary Derby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2023, 09:20 AM »
My group is going to be there Fri-Sun. Not sure where we are fishing, but told enough ice for the wheelers. Had 19" Sun. on a pond near home

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2023, 09:45 AM »
If you think about it, Is there ever really any talk of it?

It’s all Litterally Rhode Island and Connecticut giving us “ thanks in advance” posts for how “tall” ice is and if the can get a Acura Integra  on at Alton bay.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2023, 09:48 AM »
Hahaha, "is the ice deep enough?"
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2023, 09:51 AM »
True enough, but there's still usually a couple local threads... Maybe I just start them every year and I'm late lol

Thanks in advance for your input...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2023, 09:57 AM »
I’m not sure on my status. I threw 100$ on the Chiefs to beat that disguisting city of Philly so maybe I’ll win one of the raffles incase I lose  ;)

205$ payout high roller here

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2023, 10:13 AM »
The only sports I follow are MMA and Boxing... I might follow football if there were no helmets and they could throw haymakers...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2023, 10:16 AM »
I despise both teams equally..

So I'll fish instead maybe.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:20 AM »
I despise both teams equally..

So I'll fish instead maybe.

Sounds like a disgruntled "Pats" fan ! ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:28 AM »

It’s all Litterally Rhode Island and Connecticut giving us “ thanks in advance” posts for how “tall” ice is and if the can get a Acura Integra  on at Alton bay.

Honda accord bruh, a low one, with 66hp. I just found out I have 0 kid obligations so I may come up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:32 AM »
Sounds like a disgruntled "Pats" fan ! ;D

Nope, just dont like either team
Why would I be disgruntled, the sun dont shine on one dogs @$% all the time Pat's fans had plenty of sun, its time for rain, I just dont like either team, real simple.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2023, 11:38 AM »
Our group will be out, not sure if we can get on at my buddies yet just caught Sunday after the wind hoping to have enough, if not we go to the north end of the lake with all the other ya hoos in the very least we catch a good buzz!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2023, 01:22 PM »

Ouch.
Just add water.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2023, 01:28 PM »
Ouch.

Haha! You know that’s why you drive up here with any free time! It’s just not enjoyable there in comparison  ;D

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2023, 01:37 PM »

Haha! You know that’s why you drive up here with any free time! It’s just not enjoyable there in comparison  ;D

It can not be validated when I say it myself, but I am way more like you guys than like anyone I know down here. I definitely do not fit in down here with society.
Just add water.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2023, 01:45 PM »
 :tipup:

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2023, 01:47 PM »
Is the ice still skinny on winni? Asking for a friend since he has no car and will be taking the bus up there and putting his sled on the bike rack. Absolutely no way for him to check the ice. Any easy access with good fishing would be appreciated as well since he is on a wheelchair.Thanks in advance!  ;D
Just add water.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2023, 02:10 PM »
Is the ice still skinny on winni? Asking for a friend since he has no car and will be taking the bus up there and putting his sled on the bike rack. Absolutely no way for him to check the ice. Any easy access with good fishing would be appreciated as well since he is on a wheelchair.Thanks in advance!  ;D

Got surfboard?

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2023, 02:22 PM »

Got surfboard?

I've never seen ice form like that before. Thanks for sharing! Ill let him know to book a room.
Just add water.

Offline winnicookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2023, 02:23 PM »
It's really hard to walk on. You'll definitely need creepers!!

Offline chasingflags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2023, 02:37 PM »
Definitely still going.  Going to stay local this year and avoid the crowd.  Bringing my 7 year old this year so will not be going to any 2 trap lakes.  I don't want to discourage her.  Good luck everyone.
gbp on myfishfinder

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2023, 02:49 PM »
I’m not sure on my status. I threw 100$ on the Chiefs to beat that disguisting city of Philly so maybe I’ll win one of the raffles incase I lose  ;)

205$ payout high roller here

Frank how's the fishing in Michigan? Is the big pond froze over enough to fish?.., I put $500 on heads for the coin flip. I'm a head guy!!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2023, 02:58 PM »
Frank how's the fishing in Michigan? Is the big pond froze over enough to fish?.., I put $500 on heads for the coin flip. I'm a head guy!!!

The bays are beginning to lock up, until then it’s just dink yellows on the ole Snitch rod and 2# test. I figure, we have every sport fish ever and they come in Goliath sizes so I’ll target a yellow perch.

500$ is a lot of money for head. It’s a 10$ rock here in 8 mile Detroit, or a 9.5” yellow perch and a Busch Latte

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2023, 03:59 PM »
It'll probably just be a donation for me this derby.
 We'll see. I haven't tested out the new hardware in my body yet on the ice.
Maybe a test run for a bit Saturday.
Good luck all.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:01 PM »
Unfortunately I am going to miss the derby this year.  Going on a trip, leaving Sat.  I was going to say first time I missed the derby in 20+ years, but I just remembered I did tear my Achilles two years ago...

I dropped off all my gear at a friends house on the lake, to help cover the newbies that will be over for the derby.

Since I was there I had to fish.  Had between 12 and 1 inch of ice on the cove/main lake.  Just got one good sized pickerel.

I'm setting the over/under on ice rescues/reported incidents for the weekend at 7!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:06 PM »
I'll be out - told work I was unavailable to travel this weekend so that I could actually make it this year- so feel free to blame the ice conditions on me.  The way ice was looking I actually did volunteer for a gig in NC and another in Daytona.... but they were already staffed... so fishing it is!

Will hopefully spend the rest of this week looking for a spot, and getting some fishing in finally.

I have time, gas, working vehicle, and no kids, but if you want to give up your spots - and I don't just want safe ice spots, we are talking winning fish spots, I will take them.  PM me (I don't want to share).

Have a great derby everyone... hopefully a Shanty member comes home a winner.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:08 PM »
Nope, just dont like either team
Why would I be disgruntled, the sun dont shine on one dogs @$% all the time Pat's fans had plenty of sun, its time for rain, I just dont like either team, real simple.
I am with you Joe.... don't like any teams from Philly (mostly due to the fan base I think) and not a big KC fan.  Pat's met expectations this year, could have done a bit better maybe, but were not going anywhere.  There time will come again... someday.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:13 PM »
It'll probably just be a donation for me this derby.
 We'll see. I haven't tested out the new hardware in my body yet on the ice.
Maybe a test run for a bit Saturday.
Good luck all.

Dont push it my friend. I promise it ain’t worth it. Hell you’ll still have 2 more years before you know your exact position on this honestly.

Hardest thing ever is to put the pride away and shut off the boredom but it needs to be done for future quality of everything. Easier said than done I know.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:14 PM »
Unfortunately I am going to miss the derby this year.  Going on a trip, leaving Sat.  I was going to say first time I missed the derby in 20+ years, but I just remembered I did tear my Achilles two years ago...

I dropped off all my gear at a friends house on the lake, to help cover the newbies that will be over for the derby.

Since I was there I had to fish.  Had between 12 and 1 inch of ice on the cove/main lake.  Just got one good sized pickerel.

I'm setting the over/under on ice rescues/reported incidents for the weekend at 7!

Between 12 and 1” sounds like a busy weekend for first responders that ass hats will put in danger

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2023, 04:17 PM »
I am with you Joe.... don't like any teams from Philly (mostly due to the fan base I think) and not a big KC fan.  Pat's met expectations this year, could have done a bit better maybe, but were not going anywhere.  There time will come again... someday.

Philly is a toilet bowl

Not a fan of KC either but it’s the lesser of 2 evils to me.

Pats are a dumpster fire. They need a WR1 and a solid TE that can stay on the field. Once they have that we will see what Billy O can do with Mac then we know if he’s the guy or not.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.